Author Topic: OWEN/OWENS  (Read 6932 times)

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: OWEN/OWENS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 November 06 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Have replied - off list.

Webby
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline suitcase

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 10:57 BST (UK) »
This is an old thread but I'm posting here in the hope that one or more of you may still be working on Owen(s) in this area and be able to help as I am struggling to make progress with my Owen(s) of Llandyssiliogogo (also connections to Llanarth/Llanllwchaiarn which seem to be neighbouring parishes/villages)

See my post here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,397395.msg2677689.html#msg2677689

If anyone has any light they can shed, would be much appreciated  :)
Have also PM'd you Pat13...

thanks!
Suitcase
RICHARD, RICHARDS, OWEN, ROACH - Pembrokeshire.
PORTER, HARRISON, BAINES, LANDRUM, GARDNER, BUTTERWORTH, FOX - Preston/Bolton, Lancs
OWEN/OWENS, JAMES - Cardiganshire
GRACE, HERBERT, LAWSON, BILLINGHAM, STRINGER, SINFIELD - Bedfordshire
TEDDER, NIGHTINGALE, SIMMONDS/SYMONDS - Windsor/London

Offline Bryncarys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
If you can give me more information regarding the Owen/Owens in Llangranog or wig area I may be able to assist
llangranog cardiganshire

Offline suitcase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It's Llandysiliogogo/Llanllwchaiarn rather than Llangranog (although it seems the family members moved around between the three villages)

My great great grandfather was Owen Owen(s), born in about 1833 in Llanllwchaiaern, died January 1880
He married Mary (surname unknown - have not found marriage yet - assume around 1857 as first child born around 1858) and had 8 children. Mary died in 1904 and is buried at Capel Wig nr Llangranog
According to my aunt, Owen is also buried there, but I could not find his gravestone when I visited...

On the 1871 census, Owen and Mary are living at Brynsoden, Llanllwchaiaern with their children Ellen, James (my great grandfather), David and Catherine. And I can then trace James and the rest of the family through 1881/91/1901 etc

So far so good....

According to my aunt (who did some family history research of her own), Owen's parents are Cathrine and Owen Owens. These two are buried at Capel Wig and I have found what I am pretty sure is them in the following census (gravestone makes reference to Benpark, Lllandissiliogogo so it fits):

1841 Llandisilio Gogo
Owen and Cathrine both aged 40, Margaret 16, Jane 14, Thomas 13, John 2, Elizabeth 6 months

1851 Ben Park, Llandisiliogogo
Owen and Cathrine both aged 53
Children: Jane 26, Thomas 24, John 12, Elizabeth 9
Grandson (assume this is Margaret's son?) Owen Evans 5

1871 Llandisiliogogo
Cathrine Owens 72
Grand dau Cathrine Evans aged 20

Can't find them in 1861.

The problem I am having is in proving that Owen Jnr is the son of Owen Snr & Cathrine, since he does not appear on any of the census returns. In 1841 he would have been 8 so surely too young to be away from home...

And it seems the Llandissilio census is missing/incomplete for 1861 which causes further complications.

IGI has the following baptisms to Owen and Catherine in Llandysilliogogo:
Margaret   11 Jan 1824
Samuel   19 Jul 1825
Thomas   24 May 1829
Elizabeth   2 Mar 1832
Elizabeth   14 Jul 1833
Samuel   16 Nov 1834
 - Margaret & Thomas fit with the census of 1841, presumably the 2 Elizabeths died young and the Elizabeth in the 1841  census was the 3rd to be given that name. But no Owen...

My aunt cannot remember where she got the information from, she thinks perhaps word of mouth from old family members (now deceased)

So I'm now rather stuck on where to go from here in terms of proving (or disproving) that Owen Jnr was the son of Owen and Catherine

The original post here about the shipping family has many similarities in terms of the names, but then again these are common names for the place and period, so there may be no link at all. Owen Owens (Jnr) was listed as a mason on the 1871 census. The only reference to mariners in my tree is actually James Owen (my gt grandfather) but I suspect this is probably co-incidence only...so I'm not even sure it's the same Owen(s) family

Anyway, any assistance gratefully received, I feel like I'm going round and round in circles on this one. Probably I need to get back to Wales and visit the records office to check parish records and see if that helps, but it's a long way from Hampshire!

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide,
regards
Suitcase

RICHARD, RICHARDS, OWEN, ROACH - Pembrokeshire.
PORTER, HARRISON, BAINES, LANDRUM, GARDNER, BUTTERWORTH, FOX - Preston/Bolton, Lancs
OWEN/OWENS, JAMES - Cardiganshire
GRACE, HERBERT, LAWSON, BILLINGHAM, STRINGER, SINFIELD - Bedfordshire
TEDDER, NIGHTINGALE, SIMMONDS/SYMONDS - Windsor/London