Author Topic: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941  (Read 26924 times)

Offline johnpeel

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« on: Saturday 20 May 06 08:41 BST (UK) »
Anyone  have any records/photos of the above school which was part of the SHAFTESBURY HOMES.

I was one such pupil and there must be many around that served in the services and are able to exchange info etc.

Regards johnpeel 

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi John

You could try the Surrey History Centre in Woking

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice/

You are able to search on-line for references of the records etc they hold there.
I am not sure if you would be able to access individuals names etc if they were in Care.  However,  photos may be a possibility.

Good luck
Reyz

Essex  :  Lodge Wheal
London UK : Bird Bogg (Lightermen) Brittle, Chamberlane. Perry Spencer.
Forest of Dean Gloucestershire  :  Smith.
Herefordshire : Hope  Price  Protheroe
Somerset  :  Hughes  Lippiatt
South Wales UK :  Blaenavon and Brynmawr -  Hughes Smith
Merthyr Tydfil : Hope  Lloyd  Long Protheroe 
Census information is Crown Copyright from  www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline johnpeel

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 06 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Reyz

Many thanks for the info of where to follow up my queries.

Regards Johnpeel

Offline srobinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 October 08 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I was just searching for information on this school. I was going through my dad's photos and found his leaving certificate. He left Bisley I think in 1942 so you two would have overlapped. His name was Graham Roland Robinson and I believe one or several of his brothers were there with him.

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 October 08 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi?????

Many thanks for your reply and it is quite surprising that very few ex pupils are able to access the web to put forward their experiences and it is nice to hear from one of the family as there could be so much to write about.

I have a couple of photos that include me in the class of the "Ironsides" that were one of the houses of the senior part of the establishment and I am also aware that are two films of the "Empire Day " celebrations that were held  1937 and 1938 but it is very expensive to enable one to get access to them.

Anyway it is very encouraging that at least I have had a reply and I suppose like me a lot of the boys eventually ended up in the forces but the experiences there stood us well in those years and must say that looking back the education we received was top class.

If you are interested further do not hesitate to reply.

Regards John

Offline srobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 08 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I'm so delighted to hear from you! This is wonderful. I would love to talk to you, or see anything you might have of the school. I would love to get a hold of the film (how would one find that?).

I only have photos of my dad from when he was in the services (he joined the Royal Marines after Bisley). After the war he joined the Merchant Marines, and that took him to Canada (where he 0-90-=0-09ghjemigrated). He passed away in 1995, and I only have this certificate to tell me anything about his school experience.  I'm sure even if he was still with us, he might never have gotten onto the internet.

Oh I just checked. He joined in 1937 and left in 1941. So you would have overlapped for sure.

It is interesting it was an orphanage. In my dad's case I think he went there because his father died young and left his mother with 8 kids to raise. Thank god he was able to get a good education.  I'm delighted to learn you thought highly of it.

I'd write you a personal message but can't figure out how yet.

Sandra

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 October 08 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Nice to hear from you and will keep you posted but at the moment I am a little busy as I seem to have rather a full life.

Yes it does seem that our paths have crossed and although it is many years ago I would like to think that I do recall the name but perhaps I am being optimistic . Anyway if you have any details of his house name that would certainly be a help and I have a couple of pics that I am able to send over.  Pity that we did not keep any records but certain things are imprinted on ones mind. I would like to think that he was our class leader but that might be too much of a coincidence as I do vaguely the name.

I also went down the same path in as much that I went into the Fleet Air Arm and went out to the far east with the British Pacific Fleet and on the return journey I met another lad from the school so there were a few connections along the way.

I am writing my life up for my family and will send you a copy of my period there if you are interested as it gives a little insight of what we were doing as young lads.

Nice to hear from you and will be in touch.

Regards John (ps what is your area )

Offline srobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 October 08 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I feel very lucky to have run into you. You have to love the internet. I would absolutely love to read what you write.

I will check with my dad's sister to see if she might know the house name. I will also look through his files again for any clues.

What I can tell from the leaving certificate is that it says Table Prefect, form attained was VIA, and he was no. 28 out of 30 boys (funny that sounds low because he was so smart). It also says 1st Dorm XI for football, 1st Dorm XI for cicket, field games very good, and swimming 25 yards. Not into scouts or band. I know he was big into running and read books all the time (would tell me now he'd carry one in his shirt everywhere he went).

We live in Vancouver Canada. Will be going to England in March. Where abouts do you live? Maybe we could chat in person!

Sandra

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 October 08 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra.

My that is along way away and as for the internet it is an ever open book at least it is for me and I must say that I  and use it to its full extent or at least I think I do as  I have used it to search my family tree and have done very well.

I also love reading books and it is a standing joke that I can never pass a book or newspaper and that is probably from my school; days as we all had a lot of opportunities to read in the well stocked libraries both in the dormitories and the recreation room where we congregated every Saturday and Sunday evening. Our highlight of the week was to try and get a peek at the film which would arrive midweek one of those big film cans for showing in the recreation Saturday   and anyone who could find out what would be  in advance  was a hero.

The picture that I have attached is that of the "Ironsde" House and it would be a coincidence if your dad was on it but it is difficult I know to pick out faces after all these years but I am no. ten from the left and the army officer is Lt.Col Weigall inspecting us about  on Empire Day1938.

The othe pic is of the senior school , a very old print I should think about early 1900's. but there are other ones that can be found on the web.I will send you an edited picture of the "Ironside" Empire Day as it needs cropping.

Many years ago I accidently met a lady in France who had bougjht the school cottage hospital in 1952  and she enquired about various numbers scratched on the outside walls and I was able to tell her that they were the numbers of the boys that were in the hospital and I told her that I had had ckicken pox in her house. She was quite intrigued as she always wondered what they were on there for.

We live in Chelmsford the county town of Essex about 30 miles east of London and it would be a pleasure to be able to meet up  when you visit the UK next March and will be looking forward it very much.

Well Sandra must close now and be in touch and looking forward to any further information that you might have

Regards John