Author Topic: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941  (Read 26915 times)

Offline gerald.pntlworld.c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« Reply #36 on: Friday 18 February 11 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
I was a pupil at bisley boys school from 1939-1948 i was a Cavalier, i have quite a lot of photos of the school and Shaftesbury House some records but a lot were destroyed in a fire in London in the 1950s, you can obtain photos and records from the Surrey History Centre 130 Goldsworth Road,Woking, Surrey, gu21 6nd.
www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistorycentreservice
shs@surreycc.gov.uk
Hope you find what you are looking for,
best Regards.

Gerald

Offline Trojan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Homes, Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 19 February 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Anyone from or about The Shaftesbury Homes @ Bisley, Surrey, UK.  I find this site a bit confusing as it also runs into Geneology, but would love to have ongoing communication with any Old Boys from Bisley, Juniors or Seniors.  Please feel free to Email me direct, I do not send out circular Jokes etc, just reply to Friends & Family.
I last posted here in September 2010. My Email is <lynles@slingshot.co.nz>  My memory is confusing me with the layout of the Junior School, & the Senior School, so would love to have a drawing of anything anyone can regarding the Buildings etc.  I was there April1938-December 1944.    Can anyone remember what the Bandmaster's first name was .....Pope.     Also the name of the Shoemaking Teacher, with a Glass Eye.   Mr.Tucker I think was the Engineering Teacher, who was the Tailoring Teacher? Bertram Read was the Headmaster, Bill Tull was the Junior's Housemaster, Bill Wylie was the Seniors Housemaster.  Miss Turner was one Junior Teacher, who was the other? Charlie Rogers (3a) was the Music Teacher, (3b) Mr Macey, I cannot remeber what he taught, was it basic Maths?  (5) Starkey Goodger...what was his forte, English?  (6) Horsey Paddock, advanced Maths.     Mr Mansfield Groundskeeper & Sports Master.   Was there a Form 4? who was the Teacher.
When Bill Tull retired, 1939 I think, he became the Landlord of the Crown & Anchor Hotel at Knaphill, Nr. Woking Surrey.   His Daughter Margaret was one day older than I, & were madly in Love. She bought me sweets down to the Playing Fields on Saturdays, as I rarely behaved enough to earn any from the Tuck Shop.   Mr Wenman took over from Bill Tull, but when his Daughter was killed srossing the road outside the local School, he & his Wife moved away.   He was replaced by a Mr Cole, more later. Leslie B. Jones GCR. KCSM.

Offline RSA 378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 25 February 11 01:15 GMT (UK) »

RSA 378. I posted recently about my time at Bisley, but it doesn't yet appear on the site. Will try and retrieve it and re-post.

Offline RSA 378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 25 February 11 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I posted on 21st February 2011. Does not yet appear on site.
RSA 378

Offline RSA 378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 27 February 11 01:00 GMT (UK) »
I was at Bisley from March 1935 to July 42. I sat the RSA exam in July 40, top of school. I was a Spartan, and Cavalier 123, and school elevens for cricket and football. Earned the Queens Prize 41 and 42. My brother was a year ahead of me. I came to Sydney 1955, my brother to Canada later. Haveonly one photograph from school, would appreciate others. Labour Omnia Vincit!

Offline RSA 378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
From RSA 378
I seem to have been an early entry and haven't followed up since, but happy to see the site now. My brother and I went to Bisley in March 1935, both Spartans, then Cavaliers (Nos. 112 and 123 respectively). He was head prefect, and topped his year in the RSA and I did the same in July 1940. Yes, it was headmaster Bertram L Read, matron Rand, Horsey Paddock of 6a, bandmaster Hope ex-army, senna and the picture show (and sweet shop) on Sats. RSA 378 is for my 'place card' number in the exams, and I still have the exam papers and class results. Left July 42.
I found quite a few maps and a bit of history on the web, including pics of the start of Farm School (later the juniors), and that the senior school (and the Socierty?) was shut down (I think 1956) and senior school is now (very rebuilt) Coldingley Prison (a restricted site in case any of you are thinking of going back for a visit - or a spell?)
My brother Walter John joined the RN, served as navigation officer on MTBs, left as a Lieutenant, joined Power-Samas (the then punch-card firm) and married and emigrated to Canada as computer systems 'expert'. He died about 5 years ago.
I was an aircraft fitter apprentice at General Aircraft, Feltham, and also in the RN from 44, electrical mechanic, went out to Singapore Naval Air Station (Just as war finished) left as Petty Officer, emigrated to Australia in 1955 to set up Melbourne office of W E Sykes, the gear cutting firm of those days. Have written it down for my son as much as I remember.
Now in Sydney, 85 in Sept. Happy time at Bisley. Good to read the stories

Offline bohdithedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 November 11 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi John and Sandra,

I am so excited to be reading this thread. My dad, Harry Valentine Smith and his brother Cecil Smith were both in Bisley from 1936 to 1942. The images you paint of yourself John and your father Sandra are great and remind me of my dad. That library must have been a refuge for so many as my dad was known to always have a book as well, and we would joke that he would read a match box if there was nothing else around (I actually have vivid memories of him picking up anything and reading it if it was in the vicinity!). His ritual when I was growing up was that of going to the library every Saturday morning and returned the 5 or so books he had read that week and getting another 5 more. Dad joined the navy in WW2, then after the war he immigrated to Australia (where I am now).

The only clue I have of my dad's time at Bisley is a small book titled "A Man's Pocket- Book or Religion" and inside it has a pasted sheet on the  front Stating - Bisley School Surrey present to Harry Valentine Smith on leaving the school date July 1942. Francis H Clayton Chairman and Bertram L Read Headmaster.

John, I thought that the name of his brother may trigger some memories as I don't imagine Cecil was a common name even then.

I'd love to see or hear anything you are willing to share.

I hope to hear from you
Thanks in advance
Tania

Offline cbaughen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Although this series of posts doesn't appear to be active I will still try.
My father (Berney Charles Baughen) and his brother (Clifford Walter Henry Baughen) were at Bisley school in the late 1930s. I don't know for certain when they joined or left. Clifford was born in 1922. At some stage he joined the RAF but sadly was killed in 1943 on his last training flight before taking his active duties. He had married about 4 months before this tragedy. Berney was 5 years younger but sadly passed away in 2016. Before his death I managed to get him to record some of his life stories and they are available at www.baughen.co.uk/Berney . One tells of his time at Bisley and indicates he joined about 1934. Berney played cornet in the school band.
I've tried to locate both of them in the 1939 Register - Clifford had probably left school by then. Has anyone else been able to locate pupils at the school? I did try browsing the records for the area but had no luck.

Offline Kaza59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 26 August 23 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi....I know it is a long time since this thread has been used, but I have just found this. I am in Australia.
My Father - Albert Arthur Smith was a student at the school in 1939- and could have been earlier as well. He was 9 in 1939.
I know it is a longshot now due to age. but wondering if anyone remembers him and could perhaps give me memories of him. He didn't speak of this part of his life and we would love to know about him during his childhood.
His brother Percy who was older, could have also been here with him, but I cannot find information on him. in the records.  He was Gordon Percival Smith and would have been 11/12 in 1939.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Karen