Author Topic: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941  (Read 26928 times)

Offline srobinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I've been unable to view the attachment. Did you attach it or am I doing something wrong? I was so excited to have a look and then so frustrated I wasn't able to figure it out.  I know if my dad were in one of your pictures I could pick him out in a heartbeat (his family all look so distinctive and similar to one another- easy to spot).

That is a great story about the film and the library. That must be where my dad too got his love for books. Growing up we had TONS of them and he was very into encyclopedias and just self-learning. He didnt have a n opportunity to go to university of course, but he was one of hte smartest people I have known. It sounds like it was a terrific environment to grow up in.

Do you know about how many boys would have been in your graduating class?

My dad talked a lot about the war. I think for him going into the service was a fantastic adventure, a chance to see the world that he otherwise would not have been able to. We grew up with many many stories of the war- both of what it was like to be a kid during the raids and bombings, and also being in the Marines (he served on a landing craft). Many of his family were in the service, but he was the only one to choose the marines and went by himself. He was like that. (one funny story is he was in Australia and walking on the beach and who does he run into? one of his brothers!).  He never told me about any medals (he wasn't interested in them) and only when he passed away, I contacted the right office and they mailed me three of them (I can't recall the names offhand but one is the Burma star). That was a wonderful gift. I would have loved him to see them. 

I looked up where you live in google. It looks close to the sea. My dad lived in Surrey but not sure where and I would like to visit his house when I'm there (my aunt has the address and they took a recent picture of it a few years back). And we will also visit his family who still live in Stevenage, Herts. I went there once before but it was 30 years ago.

We should make plans to meet.

Sandra

PS: You sound MUCH younger than you must be!!

Offline ronbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 March 09 15:07 BST (UK) »
I was at Bisley juniors about 1940/41?, the Headmasters name was Read. I remember the air raid shelter was under the Shoemakers workshop. Some of my friends were Stewert,Thompson(came from Hong Kong), Savage. We marched to the Senior School on thursday evenings for the film shows.
Anyone out there remember any of this.
Ron.

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

I was at  Junior school in 1937 and then went up to seniors IRONSIDES 200A  c. 1938 leaving in 1941. and then went into FAA as air mechanic like wise other boys who went into the various services.

I have just contacted a Chobby Wells 1938 Mersea Island  who had two elder brothers in the same seniors and had a good couple of hours reminiscing. His daughter sent me further photos of the time of the band etc. a "Pop Hope. if you remember
him. Also have contact with a John Larner 1940 who lives in Gravesend.

With are a few around now we all have a bit of time on our hands now to to the searching .

Regards John.

Offline ronbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 April 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply although I do not recognize any of the names its interesting to see there are some of us out there. Yes I too went into the forces, I didn,t wait for National Service so signed on for 5 years in the Army in 1950, part of that time i was posted to Korea. I have always felt that the rigid way the School was run was very good for us in later years, remember all the kit we were issued with and the parades on Saturday mornings(and the cup of Senner after). I seem to remember that I was in Trojon House, juniors of course.
During the end of the 2nd world war we were bombed out and I was sent to friends on Canvey Island, the strange thing was that the Headmaster there at my school was the brother of the Mr Read at Bisley.
Do you remember the Shoemaster at the juniors ?, he was the terror of us all, we used to hate it when the warnings went as we had to go into his workshop to go down the shelter.
All the best from Ron.

Offline petert99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 April 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
I was at Bisley boys School 1952 - 1956. I now live in Australia I will be going to the UK next year. I would to know if the old school buildings are still there, and to look around.
regards
petert

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 April 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I apologize for the reply as I have been  a bit busy lately but I think that it was knocked down in the 1950's but I can try and find some information but you could probably looked at Google Earth as there goog views.

I am given to understand that two of the houses outside of the entrance are still there so they probably show up.

I have some good pics of some shots for Empire Day 1937/1938 but I think this is a bit before your time but I can send over if you are interested.

Regards

John

Offline petert99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 May 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you John,
      Yes, I have looked on Google Earthand could not find it and so I asked the question. I will return and look round for old times and show my Australian wife. Thank you again. Regards petert

Offline WilliamLornePaxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 July 09 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
my father went to Bisley (he passed away a week ago) and now I am doing research on his life. He must have been there around 1941. His name was William Lorne Paxton.

In those days I think he went by Lorne. After Bisley he went to Canada but spent most of his life in Southern California.

If any of you remember him, let me know!

Thanks,
Lorna Paxton

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

I have just picked up your request and i was at the Bisley School 1936 -1941 and if you are able to send me further information and probably have two contacts who were there about the same time who might be able also help. I seem to think that the name Lorne rings a bell in those past times as they were many years ago.

I have some really good pics of the time that you might find interesting.

Regards John Constable