Author Topic: Hawick and Roberton parish records  (Read 1766 times)

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hawick and Roberton parish records
« on: Saturday 20 May 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, please would anybody be able to check a marriage entry on the Hawick parish registers and one on the Roberton parish registers for me. The Hawick one is dated 17 May 1760 and the Roberton one is dated 20 May 1760, they are both for the same people, John Rae and Violet Scott. Would be very interested to see what it says on the actual entries with there being two for the same people and whose parish was whose.

Am really sorry if this sounds a bit cheeky, I would get the extracts from Scotlands People but I ordered some about 4 or 5 weeks ago and they still haven't come. Never the less am really grateful for any help anybody is able to give me.

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and Roberton parish records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 06 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Anna

In Scotland when husband and wife come from different parishes they used to call the Banns (usually on three consecutive Sundays) for their proposed wedding in both parishes. The Old Parochial records may make no mention of the actual wedding but it normally took place in the parish of the bride.
If you know the names of the children of this marriage then the traditional naming pattern may give clues to who the couples parents were.
By looking on Scotlands people for the birth of the two people but only using their surnames in the OPR you may be able to identify their siblings as well. For 1 credit you can find out about a whole family !!!
This will give you much the same info that a transcript will and a heck of a lot cheaper. It will also help identify who cme from which parish.
Some OPR entries were absolutely basic and simply said " Robert, lawful son of George Smith was born in this parish"
Some are more detailed and may give the fathers occupation, the mother's name, names of witnesses  - but its pot luck. In some ways its a bit like some of the English records where poor old Mum may not get a mention   :(
Not every family used the naming patterns but most did.

Hope this helps

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.