Author Topic: Braintree Baptists  (Read 5463 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Braintree Baptists
« on: Sunday 21 May 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Braintree Baptists. Children of Rev John Hornblow who was minister from 1779 until 1816.
He was said to have a very large family but we have found only 5.

AND John Hornblow's annual stipend in 1779 was £40 a year ,which is below what other anglican clergy were paid (£50 -£100 PA or more)
I never thought about it before but does/did the Sunday collection go towards the  support of the minister or just the running the church?

ALSO. clergymen needed  to have a university degree to be ordained. it didnt need to be in theology. Did that apply to Baptist ministers of the late 18th Century??

any light on the subject would be interesting.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: Braintree Baptists
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
2009 and I can answer some of my own questions.
Non conformists such as baptists in the 18th c were not accepted at University. They therefore could not become gentlemen as other clergy were. ( All it required was attendance at Oxford and Cambridge.)  This became a source of contention with the nonconformist ministers , hence, Antidisestablishmentarianism!!
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline Mrs Lizzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, slightlyfoxed - did you have to put your teeth back in after saying that??  We have Baptist connections so it was interesting to see what you'd found out.

Your user name is interesting too - that's the title I've always thought I'd use for my autobiography!  ;D Are you a bookworm?

:)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 09 09:54 BST (UK) »
what teeth?  ;D
I am a bookworm and the user name was because it can have two meanings. a little confused as well as spotty books!!
 I also love words and never actually understood Antidisestablishmentarianism properly until I read about my baptist ancestor!
Braintree Baptist Church have been brilliant and sent me all sorts of info about Rev Hornblow including his orbit' and a photo of his portrait!
Direct contact seems the best answer although A2A is a way to go.

Trying to trace children of Baptists has proved really difficult before 1837. I think I may have lost at least 5 born before 1795!!

Offline Mrs Lizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
My mother in law has been secretary of Halstead Baptist Church for the last 25 years or more, although hopefully they'll be able to find a replacement soon as it is getting too much for her.

I understand "foxed" was a slang expression for "drunk" in the late 18th/early 19th century.  I've just posted a birthday card to my stepfather with this little four line poem in it, written by me:

"You may be a little bit shelf-worn
Not exactly in mint condition,
Slightly foxed, with a few of your pages torn,
But at least you're a First Edition!"

;D

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:12 BST (UK) »
I like that! describes me well too!
Id forgotten foxed meant drunk ....! I dont , well not often at least! anyway Im too old to be falling about the place!

Offline Mrs Lizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
the "confused" meaning would describe me well, as would the "aged" description, but it's my proud boast that I've never been drunk.  I seem to remember from my Georgette Heyer reading that another description of being "a bit the worse for wear" was "a trifled disguised".

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
well I dont Boast about getting tiddly once in awhile, although we have laughed remembering  a dear and very dignified friend and myself, having been to a quiet social gathering and partaken somewhat unwisely, cautiously and with great care, weaving our way home !!
 We both aspire to grow old with as disgracefully as we can.

Offline Mrs Lizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
As my husband is a great beer and wine enthusiast, I need to stay sober so I can pull him out of brambles and stop him trying to cross railway lines on the way home!