Author Topic: Manchesters in the Rifle Brigade  (Read 14597 times)

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Manchesters in the Rifle Brigade
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 May 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
`1Annie,
If you go through the Territorial Battalions Medal Rolls you will find that there are men from nearly every regiment in them. Herts, E. Kents, R.W. Kents, R.W. Surreys, Liverpools, South Lancs, Scots Regiments, Welsh Regiments and so the list goes on and on.
These were National Reservists before they became Territorials and looking at some of the photographs that I have of these Battalions, some of them are not young men.

In response to Lord Roberts appeal, the National Reserve was formed in the years just before the war. Every man with previous military service of any kind was eligible, and all who enrolled undertook an honourable obligation to serve in the event of a war. Thus in August 1914 large numbers of old soldiers joined up throughout the country.
At first their duties were ill defined. They were not uniformed or armed and they began by combining with the Police in guarding railways, bridges and such vulnerable points, in anticipation of sabotage which, in any event, was frustrated by the very efficient round up of German agents on the outbreak of war.
Gradually the duties of the National Reservists became more military. They were recognised by the War Office on 17th August 1914, and on 22nd August were attested and appointed to Home Defence Companies which were supernumerary to the eight service companies of their local Territorial Battalions. This was not an ideal one, and as the Territorials Divisions moved from their peace stations to the theatres of war, these companies, with no higher organisation, were scattered throughout the kingdom. They were far too numerous for the prospective duties required, for by this time it was clear that the War would not be fought on this side of the Channel, they also included a large number of those who were capable of playing more active parts.
Thus it was that on 29th July 1915 the War Office decided to concentrate a number of these companies at Halton Park, near Tring, and form them into Garrison Battalions, withdrawing all fit men and sending those unfit to existing Home Service Provisional Battalions.
As mentioned previously, the seven battalions of these Garrison troops formed and recognised in December 1915 were lumped under the Rifle Brigade banner as the only three regiments at this time that had no Territorials were the Guards, K.R.R.C., and the Rifle Brigade.
Their record and Pay office were seperate from the R.B.'s they just had the R.B. name, hence the mass of these Territorials became R.B.'s simply as the head of recruitment of the day suggested these seven battalions were put under the R.B. banner.
I suspect that a load of the Manchesters who were put to the Rifle Depot were medically downgraded men, the rest, who went to the Territorial Battalions and acted as Garrison Battalions in Rangoon, India, Egypt etc etc were older men not suitable for services in the trenches for medical reasons. Maybe Mack or Harribobs can look at some of the names above and track them down a bit more.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:07 BST (UK) »
I will place a few photos of these Territorial Battalions here. As you can see these are not the youngest of men, not like the baby face photo's we are used to seeing of men in France

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
18th RB in Rangoon

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Same picture

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Xmas 1918

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Xmas 1918

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:37 BST (UK) »

Andy ! - what a definitive answer !! - thank you !!  :) :)

I know that my Granddad was in the Boer War - so that makes sense - all the older NCO's etc training the new recruits - I also realise that happened in nearly all the regiments ... !!

The photo's are great - I hope somebody sees their relatives there - how neat would that be ??

Can I quote you on my Rifle Brigade page ??

Annie  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:39 BST (UK) »
Annie,
I had a great find a few months ago containing nearly 100 photos of the 18th and their time in Rangoon, must admit I was dancing on the find as pictures and references of these battalions are as rare as !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D.
Quote away, all the above comes from RB sources.

Andy

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 May 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Annie,
As you intend to quote this I will place here the rest concerning these battalions.

Brig.-General E.W.S. Grove, C.B., was appointed to command at Halton, and the ex-National Reservists - each draft with a proper quota of officers and N.C.O.'s, began to arrive, bringing their equipment and carbine. They were classified by age - Under 40; 40-45; over 45 years, those under 40 being drafted, if fit and willing, to units finding drafts for overseas, and of the remainder, all who were willing to take the Imperial Service obligation were ordered to be formed into "T.F. Provisional Battalions, for service at home and abroad if required."  They were to be called "Foreign Service T.F. Provisional Battalions."