Author Topic: DEAN - research from Australia  (Read 7539 times)

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
DEAN - research from Australia
« on: Sunday 08 February 04 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm in Sydney and researching my Dean line which goes back from Sydney, Australia through New Zealand to Moray.

James Alexander Dean b. abt 1803 Speymouth, Moray.  James joined the British army (79th Foot Regiment) abt 1803 was based in numerous places and when in Dublin married Catherine McLennan.  I have a lot of information regarding James' army days thanks to another family researcher in NZ.  James and Catherine moved to NZ in 16 June 1849.  

I need to trace the Dean family in Scotland.

James parents were James Dean and Elizabeth (maiden name unknown).

Any assistance would be appreciated. ;D

regards
Carol
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: DEAN - research from Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I am new to this site, and this is a long shot for DEAN.

Do you know if James DEAN & Elizabeth UNKNOWN had other children?

Don't have same dates as you, but have similar common forenames, all born Dallas which is more inland than Speymouth.  I have children of Robert DEAN (farmer) & Margaret or Elspet WATSON as:
Elizabeth b 1789
Margaret b 1790
Helen b 1792
Ann 1795-1866
James b 1798
I think I got most of this from IGI, except my direct ancestor, Ann, at whose birth one of the witnesses was a "James Dean in Dollar".  I am not aware of a Dollar in Morayshire, there might be a Dollarfield in NE Scotland, the only Dollar I know is 10 miles away from me here in Central Scotland.

The more I think of it the more unlikely I think this is - but hey, worth a try.
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 06 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The only child I have for James Dean and Elizabeth I have is James Alexander.  James Alexander was in the army and when pensioned out gained a land grant in Auckland, New Zealand and the line continues in New Zealand until my grandmother married an Australian.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Carol
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline kata

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Found your post and James Dean and his family appear on the 1881 Scotland Census living at Easter Oakenhead Farm with his family:
Jane Dean              29
Margaret Dean       11
Jane Dean              10
Bathia  Dean            8
Mary  Dean               4
Jessie Dean              2

Easter Oakenhead Farm sadly is in ruins  :'(

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1085608

Hope that helps! If you find out more would love to know!

Kata

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 12 09:59 BST (UK) »
one of the witnesses was a "James Dean in Dollar"

Dallas often crops up as Dollas. Are you absolutely sure it's an 'r' and not an 's' at the end of the place name?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Interested to note that James Dean and Elspet Grant were married in Abernethy and Kincardine in 1797, and that Alexander, son of James Dean and Elspet Grant, was baptised in Speymouth in 1813.

The name 'Elspet' is a variant of the Gaelic version of Elizabeth, though it is regarded as a name in its own right to the extent that you sometimes get two sisters named Elizabeth and Elspet(h). Where did you get James Alexander's mother's name from? Was it recorded somewhere (e.g. England) where the name Elspet was unheard of at the time?

There's a long gap between 1797 and 1813 - there might easily be other children in that gap.

Could these be the parents of your James Alexander Dean?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, it is indeed James DEAN in Dallas.  And he wasn't witness of ancestor I mentioned 6 yrs ago - he was witness at 1820 baptism of Elspet dau of John MORRISON & above Ann DEAN (1795-1866).  Altho this Ann Dean had Margaret as her mother on death cert, she and her siblings are in OPRs as parents Robert DEAN & Elspet WATSON.
May have lived in Tamveigh/ Tomavaich.
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline johndean34705

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I am 25 years old and live in the Scottish borders, my granddad john dean stays in Urquhart, Moray. I have just started researching my family line, and so far from my granddads side i have managed to get back a few generations, a name popped up, Bathia Dean. i found this from a copy of the death record of my great great granddad John Dean who passed away in 1921, Bathia was his mother. i was unsure of the spelling of her maiden name so googled her marriage name hoping i would find something and this forum was one of the first things to pop up. I remember being shown a letter we received many years ago from relatives in Sydney, Australia.

Hopefully Carol will see this as it would be great to get in touch and find out if she sent the letter.

Also the photo of the ruins of Easter Oakend Farm, my granddad took me there years ago. I could never remember where it was or what it looked like but that brought back a flood of memories!

Anyway, Hopefully Carol will reply. back to researching for me just now though!  :)

Offline ZakDean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Following this Thread as we are related!

Really interested to see the history of our family, have been doing some research on family and also some Scottish history.

Considering the Speymouth location, could this Dean line be descendants of the Davidson Clan?

Love to see if any additional info has been found