Author Topic: Hornblow  (Read 2149 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Hornblow
« on: Thursday 21 October 04 11:28 BST (UK) »
am trying to find descendants for a Rev John HORNBLOW

Thought to have been born Halstead in Essex 1743 married Elizabeth in London 1775 , John died Braintree Essex 1816.  He was a Baptist minister of the fire and beat thy child variety. His orbit says he had a large family but all I can find is possibly an Anne and a Lidia and my 4 x grandmother Sarah Hornblow who married George Moore in 1810. She has three children by him and then in 1816 remarried (2nd of 4 ) She sailed off the SA with the Howard Party leaving two of those children of her first marriage behind.
SO Im also trying to discover where Sarah's daughter Sarah Georgina Moore and her brother John Collen Moore were between 1820/21 and 1838 when SGM married Augustus Pomeroy in Stepney. ???
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hornblow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 October 04 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you by any chance just typed in to Google the words Rev John Hornblow.  Asking as I have and found a site on the web titled the family of Sarah Forrest. It is a Geocities web hosted site that someone has used - maybe you, if you have put your informaiton on view for everyone.  Anyway try if it isn't your info there maybe more for you to go or even a slight famiy connection to the person.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 October 04 12:20 BST (UK) »
I know of this site and have been in contact  with Conrod. Its such and unusual name Im surpised there's nothing more.!
Thanks anyway  :)
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
since 2011  and 2014 I discovered this about Sarah Hornblow
Born but not baptised c1789, Essex, England,
 m. (1) 17 Jun 1810, in St Martins in the Fields, George MOORE,
m. (2) 29 Jan 1816, in St Pauls, Deptford, Bucks, England, John Henry CADLE, b. c1795, occupation Tallow Chandler, d. 11 Oct 1823, near Salem, Cape, RSA,
m (3) 7 Dec 1824, in Grahamstown, Cape, RSA, James THOMAS,
m. (4) 7 Dec 1828, in Port Elizabeth, Cape, RSA, Charles GURNEY.
Sarah died 3 Nov 1843, Port Elizabeth, Cape, RSA.

John Hornblow (a Baptist, and later a Particular baptist  Minister, hence no newborn baptism.)  Mother, Elizabeth
 Boyd's  Marriages has  JOHN  HORNBLOW  1775  Place  LONDON  St George Botolph Lane  London spouse    Elizabeth    no family name given
source Society of Genealogists
 I have only been able to find what I believe to be a few of their children.
 A remark made by a Dr Perrot when they arrived in Braintree to take up his post as ordianed Baptist Minister leads me to think there were more.
" I note the largeness of your family and the smallness of your purse.." the Dr offered Reverend Hornblow a guinea a week which John Hornblow refused choosing to live on the stipend of £40 a year. Most of the children that I have found were born after they arrived in Braintree in 1779.
 A Martha Hornblow witnessed  Sarahs Marriage to George Moore in 1810, she may have been an older child or she may have been Martha Hornblow wife of Ebenezer Hornblow who both witnessed Sarah’s second marriage
Who Ebenezer was I have not established , he could have been John Hornblow’s brother but have been unable to confirm this so far.
WILLIAM Hornblow, son of John and Elizabeth. Born  Sep 18  1782
Baptised age 12  on 3 Dec 1802 at  St. Michael the Archangel, Braintree.
ANN Hornblow born 1783 in Bocking.
Married 1804 in Bocking to Stephen Brown. (Braintree and Bocking are one place now)
LIDIA Hornblow,  born circa 1794 -  I was informed that Lidia had an illegitimate child but have not seen proof of this.  Married at St. Michael, Braintree a minor & a spinster
1814 Mar 7 to Edward Hayward of Saffron Walden, Bachelor
By Licence, with consent of Parents Both signed the register.
Witnessed by, Hannah Hornblow and others. . ( ref Boyd's Essex)
Son Edward Hayward born 1815 in Saffron Waldon
HANNA Hornblow d. of John and Elizabeth Hornblow :  Braintree   Father:  Dissenting Minister Born.  Feb 6, 1795;  Baptised  age 21 in 1816 Mar 20
( 3 months after her father's 1st stroke at Christmas 1815)
Married to Lloyd Henry Standish on 23 Aug 1816 St Lukes Old Street Finsbury
Son Lloyd Henry Penafiel Standish born 1926
Sarah      Born: Abt 1789, Essex England 
    Marriage (1): MOORE, George on 17 Jun 1810 in St.Martins-In-The-Fields (London?) seen in LDS fiche
 3 children
    Marriage (2): CADLE, John Henry on 29 Jan 1816 in St.Pauls, Deptford, Kent, England
6 children 3 in England and 3 in South Africa one born after John Cadles death
    Marriage (3): THOMAS, James on 7 Dec 1824 2 children
    Marriage (4): GURNEY, Charles on 7 Dec 1828 .
    Died: 3 Nov 1843, Port Elizabeth Eastern Cape South Africa aged about 54 1

Sarah married George MOORE on 17 Jun 1810 in St.Martins-In-The-Fields (London?).1

Sarah next married John Henry CADLE on 29 Jan 1816 in St.Pauls, Deptford, Kent, England.1 (John Henry CADLE was born about 1795 1 and died on 11 Oct 1823 near Salem Cape South Africa 1.)

Sarah next married James THOMAS on 7 Dec 1824. (James THOMAS was born in Grahamstown Cathedral, Grahamstown, Cape Colony, Southern Africa  and died in 1827 .)They were married by Rev. T. Ireland on 7 Dec 1874
Sarah next married Charles GURNEY on 7 Dec 1828.1in Port Elizabeth

She died  3rd November 1843 in Port Elizabeth SA Children:
her surviving children were
Charles Gurney Born in Deal Kentin  1812 d. 24 Dec 1867 age 54y 4m 1d Humansdorp (q.v.)
Charles 1812 d. 24 Dec 1867 age 54y 4m 1d Humansdorp (q.v.)
Sarah Georgiana Moore, married to Augustus Pomeroy in Stepney living in Liverpool England .
John Cotton Moore possibly married to Mary Anne
Ann Thomas married. McCarthy
James Thomas, a minor (blind).

for all I have found try my website
 https://sites.google.com/site/pomeroytrees/home
or email me at wooltucker(at) gmail.com

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
I believe Sarah's second marriage was bigamous.
Evidence both positive & negative, in otherword what is found and what is absent.
1. I was not able to find a death for George Moore in the time frame 1814 - 1816  in Colchester. despite an extensive, and expensive,  search of the records.
2. The entry in the  Deptford register showing that  marriage  finds that Sarah declares herself 'spinster of the parish of Deptford BUT uses her married name of Moore (Have image )
3. When daughter Sarah Georgiana Moore married in 1838 in Stepney, some 22 years after her mother went to South Africa , her father George Moore is recorded as present- occupation corn merchant. Her brother John Cotton Moore also appears to have been married in Stepney but he lived in Messing in Essex, suggesting that father George might be in Stepney.
4. I have found no record of grandmother Elizabeth Hornblow taking or adopting  Sarah Georgiana and her brother John who remained in England,yet her eldest child , Mary Catherine Moore ,age 8 went with her mother to South Africa and is  found  on the passenger list of HMS Ocean in the Howard Party.
Q    Why did she leave 2 of her children behind at all, if their father was dead ? And why didn’t she take all the children after 1821 ? I believe George was still alive, and may have gone to live in the Stepney, refusing to let Sarah have the children, as was his legal right in those days.  When Sarah and her new husband went to South Africa in 1820  with their new family they took her eldest daughter Mary Catherine Moore, who sadly she died  a few weeks after John Cadle was drowned in 1824
Her brother  John Cotton Moore, I found a tailor of the right age by the Name of John Moore with a wife mary Ann and numerous children in the local 1839 church census's, living  in East Street Colchester and later 1841 census in nearby Mistley, Occupation Tailor then in later census's an Agent for East India Company and finally Sail Maker. John is mentioned in his mother Will of 1843. It is still not possible to confirm his whereabouts after she  left him age-5 or 6  in 1816 .

Online tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 15:16 BST (UK) »

Hi

John Hornblow marriage

13 Jan 1775
 John Hornblow of the parish of St Alphage London bach to Elizabeth Young of the parish of St George  by licence
 witnesses William Young and Morell Young

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
m. (2) 29 Jan 1816, in St Pauls, Deptford, Bucks, England,

Hope you don't mind but Deptford is in Kent  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just wondered if John Hornblow married twice!

There is a marriage Saint Dunstan in the West 18th June 1780

John Hornblow widower = Elizabeth Archer   by Banns.

Also wondered if you have seen the following:-
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nlUEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA424&lpg=PA424&dq=%22John+Hornblow%22+%2B+baptist&source=bl&ots=nMC1h8QLXY&sig=rG1ga77HNt7DfI-6ibUEYII4ZUs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9L2EU_GQCuqK0AWyhoCYAw&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=%22John%20Hornblow%22%20%2B%20baptist&f=false

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
Why not.  If you look at my website page on him I know almost nothing about his origins. Having evidently told them he was born in Halstead in 1743 ...I was unable to find him there between 1740 & 1744. I did look fora Hornblow family there and found nothingbut it was  some time ago .
I had quite forgotten that I found an record and an image of his marriage in 1775 in St Bodolf, I ve just this morning added it to the webpage. One of the witnesses has a most unusual name, Morell Young, I might see if I can find him....
I will check out the link you sent.
Most interesting and Thanks