Author Topic: Hornblow  (Read 2147 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hornblow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
I've just looked at the link you found. I was sent a copy of his Orbituary by the Braintree Baptist Church back in about 2009  so  I have seen that but thanks anyway .
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
 I think that  the marriage you found in Saint Dunstan in the West 18th June 1780
John Hornblow widower & Elizabeth Archer MUST  is another man.
There was at least one Hornblow family in Stepney and I  know from what the Braintree Baptist church sent me that his wife was Elizabeth possibly Elizabeth Young,  & if it is the same man, he married in 1775. I found that  he was a member of the baptist church in Prescot Street London where Abraham Boothe was minister, before he was selected to go to Braintree as its minister in 1779 by which time he apparently already had a large family..of whom I can find no trace. All but maybe two were born after they went to Braintree. he died there on June 4th 1816 age 73 .

The Particular Baptist church of Little Prescot Street, Goodman's Fields, in east London

If anyone can find Morell Young,London  east of London circa 1770  that might prove interesting . Having a lovely  time hunting and  I  dont usually use  IGI  but I did this time
Morrell Young     Burial  12 Mar 1800 Goodmans Fields, London which  doesnt clarify as to make or female .
more than 10,000 non conformist records for William Young in that time & place no wife specified.
I also found this
Mirell Young  Marriage    25 Jun 1738  Fleet Prison, London
Fleet Marriages were  irregular or  clandestine marriages taking place which took place in London's Fleet Prison or its environs during the 17th and, especially, the early 18th century. Possibly because they were baptists?
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just thought I would make sure.

You say that Sarah was born 1789 but there was no Christening.  On familysearch there is
a Christening for a Sarah Hornblow dau of John & Elizabeth 11.2.1789 St. James, Westminster.

There are other children with same parents Christened at St. James:-

Rhoda  1783
Ann 1786
Elizabeth 1790
Thomas Charles 1792
William 1794
John 1796

Question is are these the Children of John Hornblow & Elizabeth Archer, and if so then are you
certain that Sarah born 1789 is actually the daughter of your John Hornblow?

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
I dont think so the family were in Braintree by then and Baptist dont baptise babies. and I am not certain. her siblings I found baptised as teenagers but nothing for Sarah BUT I think she ran away to marry in London just before she was 18. If you read that Orbituary for John in mentions great family trials...one was her sister Lidai having a baby before she was married,
I think another was Sarahs marriage. She had her children baptised as babies which suggests a rift from the baptist faith.
siblings
William Hornblow, son of John and Elizabeth. Born  Sep 18  1782 Baptised age 12  on 3 Dec 1802 at  St. Michael the Archangel, Braintree.
Ann Hornblow born 1783 in Bocking. Married 1804 in Bocking to Stephen Brown.
Lidia Hornblow,  born circa 1794 -  I was informed that Lidia had an illegitimate child but have not seen proof of this. Married at St. Michael, Braintree a minor & a spinster 1814 Mar 7 to Edward Hayward of Saffron Walden, Bachelor By Licence, with consent of Parents Both signed the register. Witnessed by, Hannah Hornblow and others. . ( ref Boyd's Essex) Son Edward Hayward born 1815 in Saffron Waldon
Hannah Hornblow d. of John and Elizabeth Hornblow Abode:  Braintree    Father:  Dissenting Minister Born.  Feb 6, 1795;  Baptised  age 21 in 1816 Mar 20 ( 3 months after her father's 1st stroke at Christmas 1815) Married to Lloyd Henry Standish on 23 Aug 1816 St Lukes Old Street Finsbury Son Lloyd Henry Penafiel Standish born 1926
I think Sarah was the next to youngest born in Braintree  about 1792. She made four marriages first husband was George Moore and they were married on  17 June 1810 at St Martin in Field Westminster (which  is now Trafalgar Square) just before her eighteenth birthday. Martha Hornblow and William Moore witnessed the marriage. They lived  in East Street Colchester .

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 August 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
In case anyone is interested I have now confirmed the presence of 2 John Hornblow in London around the same time both with wives Elizabeth. The explanation goes thus.
Rev John Hornblow and his wife Elizabeth Young nominated as family 1 because i have done extensive research into his family.
 The other John Hornblow and Elizabeth Archer I have not researched beyond him nominated  Family 2.
When I began researching  10 or 12 years ago I made an enquiry to Braintree Baptist Church and received from them Rev John Hornblow's  obituary and a 1906 article about him.

John Hornblow and Elizabeth Archer  were married in 1780  in Westminster and lived in Piccadilly parish where he was a Coal Dealer.
He paid rates in Westminster  between 1780 & 1815.  This is all verifiable on FindMyPast in this case for Westminster from 1780 onwards until 1815  .
He was a coal dealer in Piccadilly area of London there are dozens of records of his payments and the children attached to this couple were all born in Westminster Piccadilly area.
Westminster Rate Books 
1780 1786 Rent £13 Rates 13 & 6/6
Coal Dealer  John Hornblow Occupier 3 May 1783 Address Noel Street North
Place St James Piccadilly Parish St James, Piccadilly
C
Children
Rhoda Hornblow  Bb 17 Aug 1783 in Westminster, London,
Ann Hornblow 2 Dec 1786 in Westminster, London, 
Elizabeth 12 May 1790 in Westminster,
Thomas Charles Hornblow 16 Jun 1792 in Westminster, 
William Hornblow 17 Mar 1794 in Westminster, 
John Hornblow 16 Jun 1792 in Westminster, 

The Reverend John Hornblow Baptist Minister of Braintree Family 1  left London in 1779 for Braintree.
His Mother Mary Mee was  buried St Andrew Anglican Church Halstead 19 Nov 1789 National Burial Index For England & Wales
Jeronimo  buried St Andrew Halstead 28 Jan 1797 St Andrew Anglican Church Halstead

His obit stated (Rev)John Hornblow born 1744  came from Halstead & in 1760  was apprenticed in London.  In 2017 I found in FindMyPast a 1760 apprentice record showing he was from Halstead , near Braintree son of Jeramiah ( Jeronimo) Hornblow of Halstead , a malster .
The entry in the Haberdashers  Court records show that in 1760 John Hornblow was apprenticed to John Rushton of Redcross Square Jewen Street –which is off Aldersgate Street.
He would have been about 15 or 16 years old . John completed his apprenticeship and   1769 . He began taking apprentices in 1772.
The 1775 marriage entry for John Hornblow & Elizabeth Young shows he live in St Alphage parish which is close to St Giles Cripplegate where their first child was born and died of convulsions in 1776. Lived in Cripplegate area by London Wall.
They could not be married in a Baptist church so they chose St Georges in Botolph Lane  within the city wall  in Botolph Lane  close to Pudding Lane which is close to Goodmans Fields where the Young family lived in Mansell Street . They were cabinet  makers, furniture makers.
The Young Family were also non conformists as shown by the the registration of their children rather than baptisms. The entry for the family of John More and his wife Rachel Ridley, made in 1756 , shows Rachel born 1749, son Ridley born 1751 then Elizabeth born 1753 and twins Mary & John born 1756.
Their 1st child John was buried in St Giles Cripplegate -  Maidenhead Court in the close to AlderSgate Street. He later moved his workshop to Phillips lane near St Alphage  1778 John still working as a looking Glass Frame Maker .
Other children must have been born  and died young between 1777-1782 - a 5 year period, for they were commented upon by Dr Perrott in Braintree in 1779 who remarked on the size of Johns family and the smallness of his purse.
 1779 John’s was ordained on 15th July 1779 and  given the Braintree ministry moved to Braintree, Essex

1. 1776 John Hornblow died of convulsions as an infant buried at St Giles without Criplegate London
 2 1777 Rachel born in London?? Died age 22 unmarried in 1799 buried Bocking
 3. 1782 John born & apprentice 1797 age 15 apprenticed to William Spencer 6 Apr 1797, Grocers' Company
 4 1783 Anne born baptised 1804 age 21 Married 1804 in Bocking to Stephen Brown. FindMyPast- Boyd's
 5 1784 Jeremiah ?
 6 1785 Mary born . She died and was buried 19 Nov 1789 in Bocking FindMyPast
 7 1789  Sarah born Feb. Married 4 times and in 1820 & one of the Settlers in the Eastern Cape of South Africa with her 2nd 'husband' John Cadle. She died SA 1853- Died age 54 1843
 8 1790 William baptised age 12 in 1802 at St. Michael the Archangel Braintree. William died 1798 buried Braintree
 9. 1791 Jeronimo born -died age 4 on 22 Feb 1795. Burial 26 Feb 1795 buried at the Protestant Dessenters burial ground at Bocking
 10. 1794 Lydia married to 7 March 1814 to Edward Hayward of Saffron Walden,FindMyPast & Boyds
 11. 1795  Hannah baptised age 21 in 1816 shortly before her marriage Married to Lloyd Henry Standish on 23 Aug 1816 St Lukes Old Street Finsbury FindMyPast England Parish records 1538-1973 Parish records

There is an Ebenezer son of John Hornblow deceased apprenticed by patrimony to Ebenezer Hornblow silversmith in Southwark in 1820. However if boys were apprenticed at 12 to 15 then he would have been born about 1805 which makes him an unlikely son of Rev John for, although his wife Elizabeth Young was 10 years her husbands junior,  she would have been 52 in 1805.
An Ebenezer Hornblow did witness the 2nd marriage of Sarah Hornblow ( Moore) when she married John Cadle in Deptford in 1816.