Author Topic: Wainwright family  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Wainy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wainwright family
« on: Wednesday 24 May 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find members of the Wainwright family who emigrated to Niagara after 1909 and probably in the early 20s.In particular family members of Olive Wainwright and her brother John who visited UK in the war when he was in the .Air Force.Their father Thomas (photograph attached) was a steeplejack who was believed killed when he fell from a bridge on Niagara Falls in 1928.
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Wainwright family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 06 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wainy,

I'm not having much luck finding any reference to your Wainwright's in the Niagara Falls area.  Death registrations are public in Ontario up until 1933 and I havn't been able to find Thomas in 1928 give or take a couple of years.

If he fell off the bridge, there may be a right up about him in the local newspaper.  Or maybe he fell off on the American side of Niagara Falls and therefore his death is registered in New York instead of Ontario?

Do you know what year appox. Thomas was born and where?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Wainy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
Thank you very much for your reply which I was very pleased to receive. My great uncle Thomas was born 1871 +/- 1 in Bermondsey,Surrey,UK which comes within the London area.I was able to download pictures of the family grave in Fairview cemetery Niagara.They show the graves of Thomas (1928) his wife Lily and daughter Ruth.Interesting that records may be in the US.
Thanks again,
Wainy

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
I may have found Thomas. There's an "unknown" death registered in 1928 for a man whose identity was unknown. This man was listed as 'about age 50' and he drowned in Lake Ontario. Dr. MacDonald of Port Dalhousie attended the body.

The burial took place July 13, 1898. However the registration says the body was buried in Victoria Lawn Cemetery, St Catharines. It's possible his family later claimed the body and had him buried in Fairview (if this is your guy!)

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline Wainy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi eillo
Thank you very much for contacting me.I don't think your man who drowned in Lake Ontario is my great uncle Thomas whose age at death would have been 57.The year is right (1928)but records show he died and was buried in the family plot in that year in Fairview Cemetery,Niagara.
Thanks again,
Wainy