Author Topic: McPHERSON - research from Australia  (Read 10177 times)

Offline Harves54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McPHERSON - research from Australia
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 January 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coriolana
I am also researching the Duncan McPherson (died Ultimo 1871) family line that lived in Sydney. I may have further information and maybe you can assist me. I'm really like to obtain photos of the McPhersons.
Cheers
Brian

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 January 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat.

May I please mention that there’s quite a number of chaps named  McPHERSON in New South Wales in 1870.   For example, just in the West Sydney electorate (so, the Sydney suburbs of Ultimo, Pyrmont, The Rocks, and much of the Sydney CBD)  there’s the following chaps.

NSW electoral roll 1870 WEST SYDNEY
McPherson  Daniel, residence,  106 Victoria St
McPherson  Dougal, householder, Victoria place
McPherson  Duncan, householder, 60 Liverpool St
McPherson Duncan, householder, 106 Victoria St
McPherson  Duncan, junior,  residence, 106 Victoria St
McPherson  Evan, householder, Kensington St
McPherson  Hugh,  residence Piper’s lane Off Sussex St
McPherson James, freehold, 10 Waterloo place
McPherson  John, residence, 12 Kensington St
McPherson  Peter, residence, Liverpool St
McPherson  Richard, household, Liverpool St
McPherson  William, freehold 12 Kensington St

To be eligible to be enrolled (and it was not compulsory to enrol) you needed to be a) male,  b) British subject, either by birth or by naturalisation,  c) aged 21 years of age or more  d)qualified by residency and or property holding. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Harves54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 January 15 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM

Many thanks - Duncan died at 9 Victoria St, Ultimo. Looks like the 1870 address of 106 Victoria St may possibly be my Duncan as he had sons Daniel and Duncan. Duncan had earlier lived in 8 Victoria street, Ultimo behind the Smart Mills ??? (rented from Thos Ware Smart). Does the Electoral Rolls supply and more information eg occupation, etc. My Duncan married Mary McInnes  who died 1876 in Sydney probably Ultimo.
Cheers
Brian

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 January 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
City of Sydney Assessment Books are freely available online, and the particular Ward covering Ultimo in the 1870s would be Denison.    The 1871 rates show that Duncan McPHERSON was rated in respect of 308 Sussex Street, East Side.   The Property Owner or Landlord was a William ASHTON, it was a house (and not a warehouse, nor a shop) with a gross annual value of £26.  It was of Brick, with Shingle roofing, 2 floors, 3 rooms.     William Ashton occupied 306 Sussex St, and owned 304, 306 and 308 Sussex St.     (Until 1879, City of Sydney collected rates from the person occupying the premises, rather than the land owner).

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books 

I have popped the above link into this post, as it gives lots of interesting information about the City of Sydney’s Archives,  Historical photographs and maps, Sands Directories, that are freely available to search through online. 

Occupations were not included in the NSW electoral rolls until after federation.  Females included in NSW electoral rolls from 1902.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.