Author Topic: Enumeration Districts, Holbeck  (Read 1544 times)

Offline FionaM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Enumeration Districts, Holbeck
« on: Wednesday 24 May 06 21:21 BST (UK) »
Is anyone out there familiar with the geography of Holbeck and able to help me work out which enumeration district Nineveh Road would be in? I'm trying to find out who was living in 15 Nineveh Road in 1861, to see if it provides any clues as to the elusive father of my gt-grandfather who was born there in 1864. But the enumeration districts run from 9 to 35, so I'm hoping someone might be able to give me a clue which one to look in before I have to start trawling through them one by one!

Thank you,

Fiona
Armitage, Austin, Bray, Brogden, Cawthrey, Cox, Fielding, Gill, Hemingway, Hutchinson Jackson, Kay / Kaye, Marsden, Marshall, Midgley, Moore, Naylor, Peel, Powell, Priestley, Scott, Sharp, Shooter, Spencer, Stead, Tuke, Wade, Ward / Warde, Wightman and Wood - all from within a 15 mile radius of Leeds. I could draw a circle on an OS map with villages of origin!

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Enumeration Districts, Holbeck
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello FionaM

It may be easier if you gave us the name of your Gt-G, we could see if the name appeared in Hollbeck.
The Streets are not always written on the census pages or in the enumerators preamble.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline FionaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 06 23:00 BST (UK) »
Gt-grandfather was born Herbert Moore on 28 Feb 1864 at 15 Nineveh Rd, Holbeck. His mother was Sarah Jane Moore, no father recorded for Herbert. Sarah then married James Cox 5th April 1868 and Herbert took the Cox surname. In 1871 they are in the census is as follows:

1 Stocks Hill, Holbeck
James Cox  - Head - age 47 - coal labourer - born Bramley
Sarah Jane Cox - Wife - age 44 - Launderess - born Holbeck
Herbert Cox - Son - age 7 - Scholar - born Holbeck

I can't find a likely Sarah Jane Cox born around 1827 anywhere in the 1861 census, and knowing that she was living in Nineveh Road in 1864 when she had Herbert I though the other way might be to find the address and see if she's there, and who she is living with.

On her marriage certificate to James Cox it says that Sarah is a spinster, and has her father as Luke Moore a book-keeper. But I can't find a likely Sarah or her father Luke in the 1841 or 1851 or 1861 census. So I'm at a bit of a loss now and clutching at straws... any suggestions appreciated!

Best wishes,

Fiona
Armitage, Austin, Bray, Brogden, Cawthrey, Cox, Fielding, Gill, Hemingway, Hutchinson Jackson, Kay / Kaye, Marsden, Marshall, Midgley, Moore, Naylor, Peel, Powell, Priestley, Scott, Sharp, Shooter, Spencer, Stead, Tuke, Wade, Ward / Warde, Wightman and Wood - all from within a 15 mile radius of Leeds. I could draw a circle on an OS map with villages of origin!

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Fiona

RG9/3362 folio 35 enumeration district 12 covers 58 and 59 Mineveh Street and 15,16 and 17.
RG9/3364 folio 34            "           "    30    "      12 and 13           "
RG9/3363 folio 95 - 96     "           "    26 covers 1 to 7 Mineveh Yard

Unfortunately no Sarah Jane Moore

I have had a look round the census with the same results as you, so far, nil.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline FionaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying and for identifying the districts for me. At least it's another possibility ticked off the list. I'll have to think about what the next step is now...

Regards,

Fiona

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
You have maybe sorted out your querie, as a matter of interest The Nineveh' s
we're a very short walk from Stocks Hill. I'm thinking they would be classed as same area.
The nearest church would have been St Matthews. There was a police station on Stocks.
Whoops on rambling now. Some info better than none. Hope it helps
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland