Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 127018 times)

Offline rickyh1950

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 26 September 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi fellow Maidonians! I spent all my schooldays in Maidenhead. Went to St Mary,s junior school & St lukes secondary modern. 1955 to 1966. Anything I can help with here? I left Maidenhead in 1987.
Haines Berkshire & Wiltshire
Clarke Berkshire & Buckinghamshire
Smith Berkshire & Cambridgeshire
Jones Berkshire

Offline jo_kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Sunday 04 January 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I know this thread is very old, so I hope that people drop by to look at it every so often.

My grandfather was evacuated out to Maidenhead in 1939, from Croydon and billeted out to "2 Lower East Street", which I believe was also just know as the East Street cottages.

If anyone knows of any relatives who lived on that street, have any photos or might know what school he would have attended whilst evacuated there please let me know!

He wasn't there long as he caught caught stealing a purse and ended up in Juvenile Court and consequently an Approved school, but it would be nice to know what the area was like when he was there.

Thanks

Offline indiafish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh 'eck anyas, better ask our nan, her side lived in Ray Park Cottages.  ;D

I believe it was demolished sometime ago. It would of been just off the Moor, behind the Almshouses, on the opposite side of the A4 (Bath Road) to Reform Road.

8) Should rename this thread. Old Maidenhead Families.

Lesanne.  ;D

this is a long shot as the threads are all date 2007 ish. I have only just decided to do my recent family history, I was born in Ray Park Cottages (1952) and lived there until 1967 when they were demolished. if anyone wants info I may be able to help?

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Sunday 21 February 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
i was born in Cromwell rd. mqidenhead in 1941 Fishers and James certainly lived in Belmont Graham Fisher who lost an playing beside the barbers went to maidenhead county boys school asi did The James bros went to Gordon rd Re Norfolk park cotts my uncle george saunders lived there with his wif ethel [nee bond]  my uncle would have gone to alwyn rd since he was born in MurrinRd

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPWPGOpd6t3i5pBy5kI2bKsrxkpT147evfsaKXu

From previous post
Hi
 I found this site and became interesred as I  went to Elmslie on Castle Hill in the late 50s early 60s
I took boys up until the age of ten.
I am afraid that I can add no historic links but there are some photographs and  reference to people who were there in first half of the 20thC.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/b/2abdc808-bdf6-484e-b427-c15337e5f9e8

I was a weekly Boarder at Elmslie and fairly clearly  remember feeling desolated on my first day when my mother left me there.I was barely six and a half years old. The head Mistress's name was Miss Westlake and my form teachers were a Mrs. and Miss Williams who I think were mother and daughter.

I was once given 'The Slipper' by Matron for using my bed as a trampoline. There was a girl that I think may have been called Christine. She gave me a  brightly painted  model of an American Indian totem pole about three of four inches high. I still posses it. She told me about sex. I was not interested. More into animals, nature and climbing trees.

We used to walk down to the public swimming baths on the corner of East Street & Cookham Road. I remember my fascination at seeing a the exposed valves and coils of an old radio that had been dumped under a bush in the park where the teacher would take us on fairly regular  'Nature Walks'.

I would be glad to hear if anyone else has anything to add that I might remember.

Picture was probably taken 1958-60 at Home Farm, nr Winkfield. Perhaps it was my birthday party. I think that the girl in front left was called Angela and was from Ghana. At the time I was living under the name Nigel Kirtland and pictured 4th from left in middle row.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline MIKE WINBURY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for pupils that went to Elmslie school castle hill Maidenhead in the 50s and 60s,,,regards Mike

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
HI Mike. See my post above.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline MIKE WINBURY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was  at Emslie a little earlier, could be 1948 to 1950 ..i got told of for getting into the gym at swinging of the ladders that hung down from the ceiling,then i went onto Winbury..regards Mike

Offline MIKE WINBURY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
We started a Winbury Old Boys web site is there anything  like that for Emslie ,i remember the old swimming pool,the ice house opposite,we are trying to trace old a pupil from Emslie by the name of Eleanor Rogers or Rogerson she was from Africa..she would have been about 17/18 in 1n  1967 ish...my name is Michael Crees