Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 126692 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 April 07 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
And I've just remembered my Grandfather Ernest John Wyse, who died before I was born, got married at St Lukes Church from Cordwallis Road.  In fact the last four generations, including me, got married there.  It's a very small world and getting smaller all the time since I joined Roots.  Do you know where the Parish records for St Lukes are held and are there any on line?  I'm in Spain and finding it hard to verify dates etc.
Regards, Abiam 

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 April 07 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

The originals are held at the Berkshire Record Office, but they state that many of the 20th century registers were badly damaged in a fire (NB Lesanne - you aked this question before and I could not remember the exact date) in 1991 and so are not fit for production.  I'm not aware of any transcripts at the moment, although Maidenhead Reference Library may hold a copy.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 April 07 16:11 BST (UK) »
There are a few comments on Garden Cottages, Cordwallis, Denmark, Reform and Waldeck in:

Yesterday's Town

Tom Middleton

Published by author 1980

Your public library should be able to borrow this for you through the inter-library loans scheme.

A few surnames from the 1901 cenus for Cordwallis Road:

Lea
Challis
Tuffrey (?)
Collett
Goff
Ayers
Meads
Southall
Smith
Seymour
Church
Hayward
Godfrey
Knibbs
Hammond
Townsend

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 April 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Imber, Thanks for your reply.  I still can't find my Grandfather Ernest John Wyse b. abt 1880 in the 1891 census.  Probably playing truant or something!!  I recognise several names you gave as children at school in Maidenhead in the 50's.  All that I know is that he got married from Cordwallis Road in 1907.
Regards Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 April 07 20:21 BST (UK) »
Abiam

When you say 'born about 1880' does that mean you can't find his birth, or what? 

I
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 April 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Ernest John Wyse from family info was born in 1879.  Born in Binfield and lived most of his life in Maidenhead.  I'm afraid I can't afford to keep buying certs so I have relied on family for some dates.  He married Ada Lily Harding of Norfolk Park Cottages Maidenhead in 1907.  My main interest about him was to find out more about Maidenhead for the working class in the late 1800's to mid 1930's and I shall try to get the book by Tom Middleton,when I come to England later in the year, as posted by Liitle Nell.
Thank you Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 April 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
OK. If you look in Free BMD he is registered in the December quarter 1879 in the Cookham registration district, which suggests Maidenhead itself rather than Binfield?

Norfolk Park Cottages. We have been married 28 years and only this year did we realise that both our families stayed there at some point or another.

I

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 April 07 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Imber,
So what was your maiden name?  Mine was Dobson and there were Hardings ,Kirby and Fox all in my family and all in NPCottages at some time!  And it wasn't a very long road!  And to add to coincidence my son started off married life at 23 Norfolk Park cottages.
I think you're right and I've been getting my John (Great G.Father) and Ernest John (my Grandfather) muddled up.  I see that in 1881 John Wyse was living at 21 Garden Cottages with wife and two children - E. John aged 1 and William J aged 3 both born Maidenhead!  Thanks fot that,
Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 April 07 15:48 BST (UK) »
Glad that was helpful. The Child family, 114 Garden Cottages, was connected to my family.  Our family name was Ayers.

I