Author Topic: Dumple Street  (Read 46478 times)

Offline quay scarborough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dumple Street
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 21 September 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
another picture of dumple street

Offline csp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 19 January 14 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm very new to family history and was interested in reading about Dumple St.  I'm trying to trace my ggmother Ellen Small, who gave birth to my gmother Mary Ellen Small at Scarborough Workhouse on 14/05/1889.  The only info given on the bcert is Ellen Small, spinster, charwoman of Scarborough, no father is named. During my search I got a mcert for Ellen Small 24, Hawker of 5 Chatwins Yard, Dumple, Scarboro. She married Samuel Robinson 35, Labourer of Sepulchre Street, Scarboro on the 19/10/1890 at St Peter's RC Church.  I'm trying to find a connection and found the pictures and info wonderful. I looked on the 1881 census but there was no Ellen Small there. I've tried to find records from the workhouse but no luck, just working on it now!

Offline BelindaMay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 22 January 16 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for posting all this info and pictures. I'm tracing my 2x great grandmother Fanny Jackson whose 2nd child Henry/Harry was born at 40 Dumple Street. She came here from Ousegate, York (Where Urban Outfitters is now) I think when her employer became bankcrupt. She had 2 illegitamate children in Scarborough and the article "A bad reputation..." was where my thinking had been going but I'll see what else I can find. She was in Leeds by 1870 at the latest when her daughter Jane Ralphs, my great grandmother, was baptised.
Thanks again for the information as it gives me more areas to explore.

Bel

Offline butterfly2k2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 10 October 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Will Marshall, what members of Stonehouse family are you searching for? From Scarborough?

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 10 October 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
csp - could your g-grandmother moved to Scarborough, maybe for work? This happened in my family - my grandmother moved to Scarborough to get domestic work. I notice there is an Ellen Small born about 1865 in the 1881 census. She is living with the Errington family in Durham and shown as a stepdaughter. Maybe her mother married Thomas Errington? Ellen's place of birth is Wreckington, Durham. Worth considering.  Good luck!

As my family lived in Chatwyn's yard in Dumple Street, it seems like there are quite a few of us whose ancestors probably were close neighbours!

Lesley

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 16 October 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
As an aside, my mother ( from a long line of the Daniel family) used to use Dumple Street as an alternative to Carey Street when talking about the risk of losing all our money. "You'll have us in Dumple Street the way you spend" etc
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I joined this thread about ten years ago(!) I think when I was researching a branch of my mother's family that I knew nothing about. I was grateful for the photos of Dumple Street (and the added information about its reputation) but eventually turned to other branches of the tree. I came back to this thread when rootschat informed me there was a new post by csp. I bookmarked the thread and re-read it with interest. Especially I was surprised to find the reference to the Frank family. It seems like I didn't know at the time but one of my ancestors married into the Franks.

My g-grandparents, Charles & Ellen Darling had 8 children including my grandfather Thomas (1861-1952) and a daughter Elizabeth (b 1873). Elizabeth married Joseph Wickham /Frank/ on 15 Mar 1903. Joseph died 17 Sep 1946. I can provide information about Elizabeth's family, and would like to hear from any Franks who are still following this thread! Funny how these little bits of extra information crop up when you least expect it!
Lesley

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
hello all, I've only just recently started researching my family tree and have discovered quite a lot of my ancestors (the Murdy's) moved to Scarborough and lived in or around Dumple Street from the 1850's to around 1900 and this thread has really helped imagine what life was like for them. I've spent hours trawling through old newspaper clippings as they appeared frequently through one reason or another (mostly the wrong reason!). My great grandfather (Franklin Hood) met his wife in Scarborough and i'm hoping to visit there this summer so seeing all those old pics will really help bring the trip to life, thank you
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area

Offline bishop58

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 21 May 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. My family of Hopkins lived in Dumple Street  - I was in contact with Will Marshall some time ago. Has anyone heard from him recently? Am still interested in anything or anyone with interests in the Hopkins family of Dumple Street.
Sharon Bishop