Author Topic: Dumple Street  (Read 46284 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dumple Street
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 June 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
Stepping about 50 yards backwards from where the above picture was taken takes in Leading Post Street which becomes Friargate at the market.  Leading Post Street (formerly Leaden Post Street) has retained its old buildings and looks quite similar to the old photo of Dumple Street.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 June 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
My family living in in dumple street were the Hopkins. they lived at 14 Dumple Street. Between the 1860's and 1920s. Starting with Henry Hopkins born in Scotland who moved into the street and started a business supplying the fleet of fishing boats in the nearby harbor. at least a couple of generations of the family lived there the last been my great granddad. Maybe they were opposite the Tymons? according to relatives most dealt with the fishing fleet but there was a butchers and dealer of Rabbit skins.

They must have known of one another!

cheers

Will

p.s apparently falling down the steps of that very market was the eventual cause of Henry's death.
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 June 06 18:32 BST (UK) »
Wow - that's fascinating Will.  As you say they must have known each other.  James and Sarah Tymon were my ggg grandparents.  James was a tailor - but that probably meant he was just a dealer in clothes - possibly second hand ones at that.

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 June 06 18:58 BST (UK) »
My mother (almost 90) sends her thanks for the early picture Will. Her branch of the family moved to Hull, where she was born, but they always went to Scarborough for holidays. Like me, she was surprised at how big the houses in Dumple St look compared with the one she lived in in Hull.

Ticker, my 3xgreat-grandfather Thomas Darling, a jet worker (??), married Jane Smith in 1838. Jane's address was given as Dumple St. Her father John Smith was a mariner. In the 1841 census Thomas and Jane Darling are living in Dumple St (but no number given). In 1851 Jane and her two sons were living in Chatwin's Yard, Dumple St. In 1871 Jane Dove (she'd remarried) was living in 3 Chatwins Yard.

I'm going to look up the websites you've given now. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I had bought a book about Scarborough then and now, which had lots of photos, but because I don't know the town I couldn't imagine where my family had lived. This has been a great help.

Lesley

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 June 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
Here they all are from the 1871 census when Lesley, Wills and Tickers ancstors all lived in the same street!  ;)

RG10/4817
Scarborough
Folio 18  Page 29
3 Chatwins Yard, Dumple Street

Name   Relation   Condition   Age   Occupation   Where Born
Jane Dove   Head   Unm   52   Charwoman   Scarborough
Ann Matthew   Lodger   Unm   60   Pauper   London

RG10/4816
Scarborough
Scarborough
Folio 144  Page 38
8? Dumple Street

Henry Hopkins   Head   Marr   43   Marine Store Dealer?   Scotland
Ann Hopkins   Wife   Marr   48      Scarborough
Henry Hopkins   Son       22   Jet Worker    Scarborough
Eliza Hopkins   Daughter      19      Scarborough
Alfred Hopkins   Son       16   Jet Worker    Scarborough
Francis Hopkins   Son       6       Scarborough

RG10/4817
Scarborough
Scarborough
Folio 16  Page 25
30 Dumple Street

James Tymon   Head   Marr   44   Tailor   Hull
Sarah Tymon   Wife   Marr   35   Domestic Serv   Scarborough
Mary Tymon   Daughter      16   Domestic Serv   Scarborough
Harriott Tymon   Daughter      12      Scarborough
Sarah Tymon   Daughter      10      Scarborough
John Tymon   Son       8       Scarborough
William Tymon   Son       6       Scarborough
James Tymon   Son       2       Scarborough

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 June 06 07:41 BST (UK) »
That's amazing Ticker. Especially since they were all a similar age - they or their kids could have gone to the same school.

I wonder, do you know whether the houses in the Yards were smaller than the ones on Dumple Street, or were they similar? I ask because your relatives look more financially comfortable - a tailor or shopkeeper, against my charwoman. Jane married 3 times, and took in lodgers between husbands, so I get the feeling she was living on the breadline.

I'm trying to build up a picture in my mind of how the Darlings lived in Scarborough.

This site has been great!

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 June 06 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

I don't know about the relative sizes of the houses - I'll see what I can find out.  I would imagine they were similar but I don't know for sure.

As regards the financial standing of my ancestors - James was referred to as a Tailor in the censuses but I have seen him referred to as an Old Clothes Dealer in Directories so I don't think he was up to Saville Row standards!  In fact he died in 1879 and Sarah was left to bring up all the children on her own.  She actually took a stall in the Market building that is on the pictures above before eventually opening up a Greengrocers shop in the town.

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 June 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Ive seen maps of London where the houses are marked by colour key to represent their average income. Cant remember the system but maybe theres one for Scarborough tucked away in the library.

It would seem the Hopkins family would be "financially stable" but there were many mouths to feed with Henry's 4 children and then their children [my great granadad and his 8 brothers and sisters at one point or another plus the other 3 siblings children]  It must have extremely cramped conditions. Plus we cant be sure that the entire building was each family's and that they weren't assigned rooms.

Another link i was thinking of was that of schools. As Lesley mentioned the children were of about the same age. Does anyone know of the possible schools available to them at the time. Could this lead to school pictures? Ive often thought do they survive from the school they went to? Could they be on record?

This is getting interesting! I love it when it gets down to the grit of the history!

cheers

will
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 June 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Henry Hopkins first of the Hopkins to move into the street.