Author Topic: St. Leger Family  (Read 49754 times)

Offline Karennicole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Leger Family
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hello
Off to work in a minute but will have time this evening to reply properly to your e-mail - How exciting!
Trice, St Leger, Chapman Trice, Barritt, Salvage,

Offline Quinfan1992

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if any one could help my mum side of the family are descendants of sir Antony st ledger and was do some research on it but there is also many different st ledgers around and was wondering if anyone could help me narrowing it down

Offline rac53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 06:41 BST (UK) »
I am new to this site and found your entries about St Leger - My family uncertainly links with the St Leger family through Heyward St Leger b. abt 1642 through his marriage with Barbara (surname unknown) but I have not been able to establish if the subsequent link to the Gilman family is genuine. Would you happen to have any information about that? 

Offline bales1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 06 September 13 00:24 BST (UK) »
I am researing the name St. Leger from Doneraile (co. Cork) and from the rest of Ireland, too.

Have been reseaching this name for the past 25 years plus so have accummulated a LARGE database of St. Legers.

Would welcome hearing from anyone else who is researching their St. Leger roots.

stlegermay,

I'm currently researching a Mary (or Marie) St. Leger who married an O'Connell (first name unknown). Would you have any information/knowledge about this?

Cheers,
Bales1

Offline terry morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 02 November 13 06:17 GMT (UK) »
There sure is Annie!
You picked a n'orse ?
By the way,the St Leger family are still waiting for the real Lord Doneraile to stand up!
                    Goggy. ;) ;D

Viscounts Doneraile, First Creation (1703)

* Arthur St Leger, 1st Viscount Doneraile (d. 1727)
    * Arthur St Leger, 2nd Viscount Doneraile (1694–1734)
    * Arthur Mohun St Leger, 3rd Viscount Doneraile (1718–1750)
    * Hayes St Leger, 4th Viscount Doneraile (1702–1767)

[edit] Viscounts Doneraile, Second Creation (1785)

* St Leger St Leger, 1st Viscount Doneraile (d. 1787)
    * Hayes St Leger, 2nd Viscount Doneraile (1755–1819)
    * Hayes St Leger, 3rd Viscount Doneraile (1786–1854)
    * Hayes St Leger, 4th Viscount Doneraile (1818–1887)
    * Richard Arthur St Leger, 5th Viscount Doneraile (1825–1891)
    * Edward St Leger, 6th Viscount Doneraile (1866–1941)
    * Hugh St Leger, 7th Viscount Doneraile (1869–1956)
    * Algernon Edward St Leger, 8th Viscount Doneraile (1878–1957)
    * Richard St John St Leger, 9th Viscount Doneraile (1923–1983)
    * Richard Allen St Leger, 10th Viscount Doneraile (b. 1946)

The heir apparent is the present holder's son Hon. Nathaniel Warham Robert St John St Leger (b. 1971)

G'day.  I'm terry from Geelong, Australia.  One of the Aldworth's ended up in Koroit Aus.  And married a Crowe, My step uncles grandfather.  Nothing written down - Isn't that always the way.
If you can help me find anything, I'd be over the moon.  Just on a different level.  Elizabeth St Ledger Alworth's portrait I think is in the National Irish Mesuem.  Copys have been made and distorted to make her more manly.  And surrounds her with masonery junk that isn't in the original. I have several copy's if you want them. 

Offline Marybeth McLaughlin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 22 November 13 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I would also love to learn more about my St Leger roots, although I don't think they are as august as most of ya'lls! 

My great-grandmother, Margaret St Leger was from O'Callaghan Mills, County Clare.  Her parents were Bartholomew St Leger and Bridget Halloran. Bartholomew's parents were James St Leger and Nancy Ryan, and that's as far back as I've been able to definitely confirm. 

I know nothing about where the St Legers of County Clare originally came from. My 3rd cousin, who is a St Leger and still lives in O'Callaghan Mills, says she's heard a vague family story about being related to a Richard St Leger who came from England during the Cromwell invasion of Ireland.  As in any family lore, how much is truth is up for debate. 

Anyone have any clues?  Thanks so much!

Offline terry morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 24 November 13 02:56 GMT (UK) »
One of the St Ledger Aldworth family the Aldworth part ended in Koroit, Vic, and married a Crowe around early this century, I know all about the Freemasons after researching them.  One of the Aldworth's dropped off the map, and we can't join them from or to Koroit near Towerhill Warrnambool.  Believe it or not, Koroit is Aboriginal not Irish.  How he came to be there? there's no record of an Aldworth anywhere near except, in Bendigo, and Sydney, part owner of the SMHerald.  It's a long shot considering were I've been, but you may be able to help
   yours: Terry Morris
P.S   I added a copy of the original Elizabeth St Ledger Aldworth.  The masons, to name a few are using an awful Photoshopped Image, man like, and added mason junk all over them, this is from the original, 

Offline rob horwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,
I am a relation of one of William Crowe of Koroit, Victoria and have just returned from visiting Doneraile Court, home of the St Legers and Newmarket Court, home of the Aldworths in Cork, Ireland. It was fascinating to learn about our ancestors.  I also visited some monuments to the family in St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin.
I would be happy to share information with you.
Regards
Rob

Offline Gearoid60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find an Allen/St. ledger connection between 1750 - 1850.
I'm trying to see if there was a connection between these 2 families.
I'm working on notes left by my late father.
I've not had much luck in finding Johns ancestors or where he finished up in the States.
I know his father, a John Allen and his mother Margaret Cotter-Bennett of Rockhill estate in Charleville, Co. Cork.

Below a section of my fathers notes:
"As a teenager, John Allen was sent to Lord Doneraile’s stables at Doneraile Co Cork, to train as a Jockey. The Donerailes, whose family name was St Ledger, were related to him through his ancestors, the Allen’s of Patrickswell. Perhaps it should be mentioned in passing that John Allen’s grandaunt, Agnes Allen of Patrickswell, was, at this time of which we are speaking, the wife of   The McCarthy-Murrough. She had a sister called Elizabeth Allen, Hence the names Agnes and Elizabeth in our Aherne family.John Allen immigrated to America as a young man. He became attached to the Payne- Whitney stables, in Carolina. As a Jockey, he was quiet famous on the American scene Our Mother, his sister, used to speak much of his attainments, saying that he rode the winner of one of the American Classics (Kentucky Derby, perhaps).At a later stage in his career, he was manager- trainer for the Payne-Whitney stables. Later he became a trainer and owner in his own right. He trained and owned several well- known horses".

I would appreciate any information or help.
Thank you.