Author Topic: James Paterson and family  (Read 9648 times)

Offline Yettigirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Paterson and family
« on: Monday 29 May 06 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone see if they can find out about a James Paterson born about 23.10.1746 in Melrose, Roxburghshire.  I think he married Ann Hall or Hull and they had 3 children, Thomas b. 1771, Anthony b.1775 and John b.1779, all in Scotland.  I am researching my hubby's descendants and would love to find out anything about this family and others that are related.
Regards Eileen

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Paterson and family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen

There's not much more on IGI than you have probably found:

Marriage of Thomas and Janet PATERSON, James's parents:

THOMAS PATERSON  Spouse JANET PATERSON Marriage: 09 NOV 1745 Mosshouse, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland

Siblings showing for James, including James's entry:

1. MARGARET PATERSON  Christening: 08 DEC 1755 Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
2. AGNES PATERSON Christening: 07 NOV 1758 Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
3. THOMAS PATERSON Christening: 21 AUG 1750 Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
4. JAMES PATERSON Christening: 23 OCT 1746 Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
5. JANET PATER Christening: 13 FEB 1748 Mosshouse, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland

All of the above entries are submitted with the exception of James's Christening which is an actual extract from the OPRs.

The only children showing for James Patison using the batch code on IGI for Oxnam are the three you have:

1. THOMAS PATTERSON  Birth: 11 JUN 1771 Oxnam, Roxburgh, Scotland
2. JOHN PATTERSON Birth: 19 JUN 1779 Oxnam, Roxburgh, Scotland
3. ANTHONY PATTERSON Birth: 22 MAR 1777 Oxnam, Roxburgh, Scotland

All actual extracts from the OPRs.  Likely to have been more children, but without knowing if they moved around Parishes, I have only searched in Oxnam and these three are all that show, registered in the name of the father only.

In respect of James's wife, nothing of substance shows for her. I would say that it is more likely her surname is Hall. Lots of entries show for that name, none at all for Hull.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yettigirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, can you find anymore out Thomas and John, if they married and what their children's names were please.  You have been a lot of help so far.

Offline pigggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
Info on Thomas and Anthony Paterson, not sure if you are still looking for this info but here it is

James Married Ann, they had Thomas, John and Anthony

Thomas m 1807 to Janet Henderson. They had 15? children. George Paterson was child number 5, born in 1810, m 1835 to Ann McLeod. They had Thomas (1836), Charles (1839), Alexander (1846) and 3 other sons.
Alexander moved to New Zealand and married Eleanor Georgina Douglas Paterson in 1887

Anthony married unknown, had Andrew Paterson (1798), m Isabella Stevenson (1826). Andrew and Isabella had Anthony Paterson (1827) who married Jane Douglas. They had Eleanor Georgina Douglas Paterson in 1887 who marrie Alexander Patterson (which is the same Elenor as mentioned above- so distant relatives)

Alexander and Georgina m 1887. Two of their children were Andrew and Georgina Paterson (twins 1894). Georgina went on to have 3 children who have all had children themselves.

If you want more info please let me know.

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 January 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Anthony Paterson b 1827 who married Jane Douglas ...  do you know who Jane's parents are, please?

Offline pigggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 October 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
Jane Douglas Paterson - her parents were John Paterson and Elizabeth Douglas (so Jane and Anthony were cousins - common back then with large families and smaller communities)