Author Topic: BIGGINS / MCFADYEN / WINTERSON  (Read 9756 times)

Offline malki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BIGGINS / MCFADYEN / WINTERSON
« on: Monday 29 May 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birthplace of my great grand parents ( and beyond ) and hoping there's someone out there who can point me in the right direction.

William ( born 1841 ) and Michael ( born 1844) Biggins, the sons of Bernard and Catherine ( nee Currie? ) left Ireland for Glasgow around 1865/69. William had married Elis(z)abeth Winterson in Co Fermanagh ( don't know where ) and they possibly had a daughter, Elizabeth. Michael was a single man, but married in Pollockshaws, Glasgow on 31/12/1869 to Mary McFadyen ( born in Ireland to parents Patrick & Mary, nee McGinlay ).

Attached is a copy of the birth record William & Elizabeth's 2nd(?) daughter, Margaret, born in Scotland. As you can see there is a note of the marriage - but what does it say as to the place in Co Fermanagh?

Since posting this message I have obtained an original (copy) of the birth certificate which gives the place of marriage as NEWTONBUTLER,  DECEMBER 1860.  I have also found information which gives Elizabeth's father as THOMAS WINTERSON, FARMER. From a Griffiths Valuation of October 1862 I have found a Thomas Winterson in the Parish of KINAWLEY - is this the family? It may be coincidence but there is a BIGGINS noted in another Griffiths of 1857 at BAWNBOY in Co Cavan. Am I right in thinking that Newtonbutler, Kinawley and Bawnboy are not a million miles away from each other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malcolm Biggins
Biggins, Wilson, McFadyen, Winterson, Biggar, Mulcahy, Simpson, McGinlay, Honfeldt ( the German connection ), McFarlane & Smith or Smyth ( a Liverpool Tailor )

Offline waskydiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BIGGINS / MCFADYEN / WINTERSON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
We have James Murphy, marries Margaret Winterson and living in DerryCanon, Fermanah, Kinawley.

Before 1901, Margaret dies, and many of their children go to Scotland.  We know that one daughter goes to the U.S. in 1894.

We have gathered a lot of information about the Wintersons in Ireland, but cannot seem to make the connections.

We know that there is another Margaret Winterson, who married Connor McCorry.  James Winterson, from DerryCannon eventually lives with them in Kilnabrack.

Owen Winterson marries Rose Maguire, and they immigrate to the US in Massecusetts.

Anne Winterson Marries Thomas Armstrong.

Rose Winterson Marries Matthew Seery.

Owen Winterson marries Susan Mccorry

Elen Winterson marries William Murphy.

We do not have record of Elisabeth Winterson, but we also suspect our Winterson's to be coming from Thomas per Griffiths.

But, Thomas seems to be in a later generation.  We have:

Laurence Winterson b. 1790 d. 1874
Ellen Winterson b. 1792 d. 1871
Margaret Winterson b. 1800 d. 1880
Ellen Winterson b. 1808 d. 1888
Mary Winterson b. 1803 d. 1893

In the next generation, we have:

Owen Winterson b. 1825 d. 1911
James Winterson b. 1827 d. 1917
Owen Winterson b. 1828 d. 1903
Lawrence Winterson b. 1831 d. 1891
Thomas Winterson 1837 1917
John Winterson 1839 1914

The earliest Winterson we came across was Rose Winterson, b. abt. 1771.  She was a widow, living close to Swanlinbar, Co. Cavan.  (about 15 miles from DerryCannon) .   We have her applying for "Enniskillen Outdoor Relief" in 1847 as a 76 year old widow.

The name Winterson is very uncommon in Ireland.  Seems we have all of the pieces, but are missing the connections to put them together.
Winterson | Murphy | Vaughan | Logan
Ireland
Co. Fermanagh
Co. Cavan
Kinawley parish
Crum D.E.D.
Doon D.E.D.
Derrycannon Townland
Parkhead, Scotland
Chester, PA

Offline jackieBARRY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
my  great grandfather was tom armstrong married to anne winterson,they lived in derrycannon, their son was john armstrong and he had 10 children who lived grew up there as well.  if u need any more info let my know.

jackie hughes

Offline waskydiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Margaret Winterson, who married James Murphy is my great-great grandmother.

I suspect that your Anne Winterson would be my Margaret Winterson's sister?

That's my problem:  We have all of these Winterson's in the same area, but do not know how they are related.  Do you have any of this information, or any information on the origins of the Wintersons in Ireland?

My theory is that Rose Winterson (b. abt 1777) came to Ireland with her husband to the Swanlinbar area in Co. Cavan before the famine, and that she is the matriarch to all the Wintersons in Ireland.  But it's just a guess.
Ireland
Co. Fermanagh
Co. Cavan
Kinawley parish
Crum D.E.D.
Doon D.E.D.
Derrycannon Townland
Parkhead, Scotland
Chester, PA

Offline malki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

Sorry to have missed your postings until now - was beginning to think I was the only person interested in the name Winterson.

Since my original post I have been able to find subsequent births in Scotland for William Biggins & Elisabeth Winterson and the plot thickens when you see where they say they were married. I had great help from the archives at Scotlands People who dug out originals and this is what they found to be the date and place of the wedding:-

1860 no month at Carbat ( or similar ), Fermanagh
1860 no month at Dunnighannan (?), Ireland
1860 March at Donaghanan, Co Fermanagh
1861 November at Newton Butler, Co Fermanagh

So you pays your money and takes your choice!!

I have the full story of Elisabeth's life after William but nowhere have I
managed to find confirmtion of her ( or his) origins.

malki
Biggins, Wilson, McFadyen, Winterson, Biggar, Mulcahy, Simpson, McGinlay, Honfeldt ( the German connection ), McFarlane & Smith or Smyth ( a Liverpool Tailor )

Offline waskydiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
We are working on the Kinawley Records from 1858 to 1862 LDS 0979703

This is a tough registry.  It is labeled marriages, but they appear to be mostly baptisms.  Very hard to read.

We have transcribed much of what we believe to be Derrycannon.

I believe that this would be your William Biggins marriage:

14 Jan 1861  William Beggarr (?) & Kitty Winterson, James & ?  Beggarr ?  Derrycanon

I think that Dunnighannan and Donaghanan could very easily be Derrycannon.  From what I understand it was traditional for the marriage to take place where the bride was baptised.  So, a Derrycannon wedding would make sense since the Wintersons were strong in Derrycannon.

Newtownbutler is just to the North of Derrycanon, on the other side of the Lough.

Like you, we have traced Margaret Winterson and James Murphy's decendents through Parkhead/Glasgow and into the U.S..  (Left Ireland probably around 1900).

But, we are having a really hard time cracking the Winterson's.

I am confident that everyone with a Winterson ancestor from Ireland is related... probably back to about 1800 or so.

Like you, we have traced
Ireland
Co. Fermanagh
Co. Cavan
Kinawley parish
Crum D.E.D.
Doon D.E.D.
Derrycannon Townland
Parkhead, Scotland
Chester, PA

Offline paseo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family tree, and my great-grandparents marriage took place in Newtownbutler in 1857. On the Marriage Certificate the sponsors for their marriage are William Biggns and Bridget Conly. I believe it is possible that William Biggins may be the same person who is your great-grandfather.
You have mentioned a possible marriage for William taking place in Newtownbutler on 1861:
1861 November at Newton Butler, Co Fermanagh.
I come from Newtownbutler and my great-grandfather did also, I am keen to try to see if his grooms man William Biggins, may be your great- grandfather.

Thanks

Offline biggsy98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 December 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping I have done this correctly and it is ok to post this here - I was trying to get a message to Malcolm Biggins and not sure if I have gone about it the correct way???? Hope so and apologies if this is not how I should have done it.

Hello Malcolm,
Sorry this reply is not directly related to your post but I have tried to contact you and have sent a few messages through different avenues but have been unable to get a message to you. Hope nobody minds me posting here but I have just started investigating my family tree and in my searching around I see your name has cropped up a lot and I believe that we share relatives somewhere down the line. If you get this message and would like to get in touch I would love to hear from you.
Andrew Biggar
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Last Active:    April 30, 2011

You will need to alter your message to remove your email address.

If he is still using same email address he should get an email about a new post being made!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.