Author Topic: Where is Loughconnelly on the map? *COMPLETED  (Read 12744 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Where is Loughconnelly on the map? *COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 30 May 06 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Please could someone point me to where Loughconnelly is located . I can not find it with a search on multimap. I've tried searching the net too, and I'm  coming across references to  skerry (??)

My grandmother was born there and her father was  living there according to her birth certificate. The birth was registered in the district of  Ballymena. Is Loughconnelly in  Ballymena or Broughshane, or neither?

Thank's for any help :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Loughconnelly on the map?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hiy Cell,

Well we are in the right county. PRONI have it on their list of townlands.  http://www.proni.gov.uk/geogindx/townantr.htm We are getting there slowly .. I looked at www.thecore.com/seanruad Loughconnelly is a 1163 acre townland in the Barony of Lower Antrim. It is in Skerry Civil Parish and Ballymena Poor Law Union. Right now the next thing to do is send a message to the Local Studies section of the Library in Ballymena. Tell them you already have this information otherwise they may send it to you again .. there is no point in being told it a second time although at least you will not be charged. Also mention in your message that Loughconnelly is on Sheet numbers 28,33 of the 1830s Ordnance Survey maps as this may assist them to pinpoint the precise location for you http://www.from-ireland.net/griffiths/antim/antrimordnos.htm Would you believe it .. some members have made enquiries to searchers in Heritage Centres and had to pay for what they already know. Here is the address for you http://www.familia.org.uk/services/ni/northeast.html

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 04:40 BST (UK) »
Thank's Chris.
I think I've found it, although I haven't found the exact location on any map displayed on the internet.  By the looks of it It's  very near Broughshane  ( and  like you said , it's under the civil parish of Skerry) http://www.from-ireland.net/plusdeds/ballymena.htm - I have been told my gran grew up in Broughshane, but  I didn't know where exactly  where she was born for sure until I recieved her birth cert (she lived in Ballymena itself later on in life, where my mum was born)

Also, the witness at birth and informant on the birth cert is from Loughloughan, which is also under the same registrar's district  as Loughconnelly according to this site.
http://www.from-ireland.net/plusdeds/ballymena.htm
 :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 10:14 BST (UK) »
Cell,

I have been doing quite a bit of research in the Skerry and Rocavan Parish areas. If you PM me an email address, I will scan and send you an outline map including Loughconnolly. If you then use it in conjunction with this multimap, you should have a clearer idea. On the Multimap, Loughconnolly is not noted, but lies on the same side of the red marked road from Aughafatten and Breckagh, but just a bit further down ( above and to the right a bit of Blackstown).

Post the family surname and I will have a look at some records I have for the area and see if it appears.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 10:34 BST (UK) »
Just noticed your other post on the Purdy surname. If this is the name you are researching in Loughconnollly, I can confirm there was a Thomas Purdy (sometimes Purdie) who appeared on communicants lists for nearby Buckna Presbyterian church in the mid 1800's. He is noted as being from Loughconnolly.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 14:03 BST (UK) »
Found by Googling ...

Here is a diagram showing where the Civil Parish of Skerry is in Co Antrim:
http://www.ancestryireland.co.uk/index.php?filename=map_antrim

Here is a diagram showing where the townlands (including Loughconnelly) are in the Parish of Skerry:
http://www.proni.gov.uk/geogindx/parishes/par245.htm

JAP

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 23:56 BST (UK) »
Just noticed your other post on the Purdy surname. If this is the name you are researching in Loughconnollly, I can confirm there was a Thomas Purdy (sometimes Purdie) who appeared on communicants lists for nearby Buckna Presbyterian church in the mid 1800's. He is noted as being from Loughconnolly.

Hi Scotmum,
yes ,I'm researching the name  Purdy (and also McNeill who married Purdy) on my mum's maternal line

I do have a Thomas Purdy . This is some of  the the info I have ( hope this is not confusing):

Emily Purdy ( my gran) b - 31 may 1916 Loughconnelly, she grew up in Broughshane -( sources from Emily herself and her birth cert NI GRO)- died in Wales just a couple of years ago.

Emily's Father: John Purdy ( died when my gran was a young girl from a heart attack, death abt 1920/21 - early 1920's anyway)
occupation Shepherd (according to my gran's birth cert, and his marriage cert in 1899-) don't know his birth date he was of full age on his marriage cert)

Emily's mother: Mary Elizabeth (Lizzy) McNeill b abt 1876 ( died  late 1940's, or early 1950's sometime in Ireland, my mum knew her) Mary's parents are-  father Andrew McNeill - farmer, mother Elizabeth White,(  sources include- my mother, my gran, birth cert GRO and  marriage cet UHF, and extracted birth record LDS)

John Purdy and his wife  Mary Elizabeth Purdy(nee McNeill ) both from Loughconnelly at the time of their marriage  (source  marriage cert UHF) (I don't know if they were born there, or where John Purdy is born , I haven't  got  factual  documentation yet on where they were born- but they are probably both from around the area. I do for almost certain (well as certain as one can be without holding the factual documentation of her birth details yet) think Mary Elizabeth was born around there - most of her family including  Mary Elizabeth's father Andrew came from around Broughshane, according to what my grandmother always said to me)

John Purdy's father - Thomas Purdy , occupation Shepherd. ( don't know his age), but guess it would be in the mid 1800's ( John married in 1899)

Other Purdy's:
 Sarah, Ruby
(  these are some of John Purdy's siblings - source my mum, so these may not be accurate, she tends to get some peoples names mixed up these days - she doesn't know a lot about the Purdy line,like she does the McNeills- as John Purdy died when my gran was young girl)

My grandmother Emily's siblings below which are all Purdy's
These are accurate, source  is from  my mum and from my grandmother who knew them of course  (I don't know their exact birth dates but they were all older than my gran except for Tom who was her younger brother):

1)John (worked with explosives.His main job was something to do with explosives, and he also looked after and bred Greyhounds for someone ( died by blowing himself up in a mine - Accidentally! lol , I shouldn't laugh should I (my gran was really upset over his death at the time!), but it tickles me for some odd reason - I've a few deaths in my tree by being blown up in various ways - I must remember to never go near explosives myself lol just in case it's in the genes. Apparently it was not his fault ,It was his under study's fault - source my grandmother and mum)
2)Mary
3)Elizabeth
4)Jean
5)Sadie
6)Martha (died sometime in-between the years of 1968 and 1971 )
7)Agnes ( Martha's twin sister- but  died as a child/baby)
8)Emily (my gran B 1916)
9)Tom ( the youngest born around 1917 /1918)

Thomas Purdy ,born in the 1800's sometime (John's father) may have married a Jenny Graham ( this is where it gets a bit  complicated) - I've yet to find Jenny Purdy ( Graham was her maiden name, she also had a first marriage Mcfall - so it maybe Jenny Mcfall when she married Thomas Purdy)

Jenny Purdy ( (nee Graham, and Mcfall 1st marriage) may not be her real name - it could be Jenifer? Jennet, Gennet etc etc. She was known as Jenny to her family.

Jenny Purdy nee Graham  ( this source is from my mum, and also  from the horses mouth so to speak - my gran and granddad when they were alive - they also told me this) - she is also in the other side of my tree too,  my mum's paternal line . My grandparents Emily and James  were 2nd cousins. Jenny  was my granddad's  grandfather's sister, and she was also  my grandmothers grandmother - so my tree is going to join up if I get back to the generation before -  ie - my gran and granddad shared the same Great Grandparents.

Bet you wish you never asked now!  lol ;D   I hope I haven't sent you to sleep with all that above lol ( really sorry to make this post so long, but I thought I'd include my sources for a reason)

Anyway, to the exact  point (At last!! lol) - yes I do have a Thomas Purdy - my G G Grandfather who was born sometime in the 1800's ( John Purdy's father) - the  name could very well be  spelled "Purdie" sometimes  - it   seems it is written a few different ways http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/purdy-coat-arms.htm

Thank you very much  for your help  :)
I'll Pm you my email address.

Thank you Jap for your help too, the maps you found are a great help,  very much appreciated :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
Have read through above and found it all very interesting (I love hearing about other folks research almost as much as I love doing my own research). 

The minister of Buckna Church, on March 24th 1857, in visitations to his members, records a Thomas Purdy & wife & 2 children (4 children by 1862 visitation) living in Loughconnolly. Also living beside Thomas were a John Purdy & wife and 3 children (will email you some interesting additional snippets of info he has noted concerning this John's wife and children).

Offline poppa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,

I read your post with interest, my grandmother was Martha Purdy she married Alexander Nicholl Weir, my husband has put together  a website about the Weirs and Purdys with a photo album on it, I include the link if you would like to see it.

Regards Lynnette.

http://www.freewebs.com/weirfamilyorigins