Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM SPARROWS in MY TREE  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Chronicler44

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BIRMINGHAM SPARROWS in MY TREE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 August 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
"Just a final try to see if it does raise any spark of recognition in someone's mind. "

Hello........I don't know if you're still looking for someone with this connection but I've only recently discovered that my Sparrow family in Birmingham had lost about ten members (so I've been told) during the Blitz.  My great grandfather was Walter Ralph Sparrow, born 1878, in Birmingham.  He was one of 15 children by Walter and Alice Sparrow.  Is this the same family to whom you refer?

Holly :-)

Edited to add Walter Sparrow's photo

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
You could try putting a message in newspapers e.g blackcountry bugle where they would welcome something like that, birmingham post.

Offline Bojalu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for resurrecting this one yet again. Just a final try to see if it does raise any spark of recognition in someone's mind.

It is the Children or Descendants that I seek, not the Ancestors

I am trying to trace the Family of SPARROW that once lived at Great Lister Street, Birmingham. They had relatives at Cradley, Staffs

They were bombed during the blitz WW2 and Reginald William Sparrow the Father was killed.

Mother was Elsie, born 1903, now deceased.

Children  all born in the 1920-30’s era
Dorothy
Joyce
Brian
Leslie
Betty

Any knowledge of this family, or individuals, would be appreciated.

Robert

I realise that this is an old post and that you may have found family members by now.
Reginald William SPARROW  died 10 April 1941 age 38 years  at 78 Great Lister Street , Birmingham.
His daughter known as Betty but birth name and married name is  Bessie was injured at 74 Great Lister Street.
The Air Raid started at 10.08pm>
There are no other SPARROWS injured or killed.
Reginald's name  is listed on the Tree of Life Memorial in Edgbaston Street  by the Bull Ring markets and  St Martins, Church.
Reginald's name will also be listed in the back of the book - Birmingham Blitz -Our Stories.

Reginald parents are Joseph Edward SPARROW & Ann Elizabeth FROST.

Reginald & Elsie child  is  Bryan rather than Brian.
Many of the family married in Birmingham

Offline Bojalu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 February 18 01:44 GMT (UK) »
"Just a final try to see if it does raise any spark of recognition in someone's mind. "

Hello........I don't know if you're still looking for someone with this connection but I've only recently discovered that my Sparrow family in Birmingham had lost about ten members (so I've been told) during the Blitz.  My great grandfather was Walter Ralph Sparrow, born 1878, in Birmingham.  He was one of 15 children by Walter and Alice Sparrow.  Is this the same family to whom you refer?

Holly :-)

Edited to add Walter Sparrow's photo

Hello,
It appears that only one person died in the Birmingham Blitz with the surname SPARROW.  This is Reginald William SPARROW who died 10 April 1941. His daughter was injured.

Were your SPARROWS civilians ?
Could your female  SPARROWS  have married and were injured or died in their married name ?

Birmingham Civilians who died in the Birmingham Blitz are remembered on the Tree of Life Memorial in Edgbaston Street, near the Bull Ring Markets by St Martins Church.
These civilians are also listed in the book - Birmingham Blitz Our Stories.