Author Topic: Link: Prestwich Lunatic Asylum later known as Prestwich Hospital  (Read 36824 times)

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Prestwich Lunatic Asylum later known as Prestwich Hospital
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 06:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kenhar for the lovely photos.

When searching for a death or burial, some of us know where we will find them, but others of us may be completely taken by surprise.

I am sure that there will be many who, to their surprise, will find that their ancestor was buried here. It is sad to think about, but perhaps your photo will provide some comfort.

It is good that the church has finally acknowledged their existence.

And thank you Kenhar for your perseverance in visiting the church so many times in order to take the pictures.

It is much appreciated, both by me, and by those others who will stumble across this thread in the future.

UKgirl
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosa Xanthina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandfather Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 September 07 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you UKgirl and tony h
Regards
Rosa
DAGLASS - Norfolk
EDGE - Malpas, Cheshire
EDWARDS - Norbury, Cheshire
LOCKETT - Banningham, Norfolk
POWELL - Wistaston, Cheshire
WHALLEY - Liverpool
YOUELL - Stirling,  Scotland & Liverpool

Offline buckleym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 17:37 GMT (UK) »
i worked as a nurse back in the 80.it was a great place to work and some of the patients were such characters.i worked down at clifton house at night it was a bit spooky there.there was very dedicated people there.i was glad to see the headstone that has been erected .they were forgotton .when i there was really shocked to learn people had been in there for thirthy years maybe more looking for other nurses also who were there in 1986.to 1996.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Only just found this thread - where have I been?

I had two ancestors in Prestwich Asylum.  I know one was buried in Southern Cemetery, in 1902, but the other one, a g.uncle was in the asylum from 1907 until his death in 1964.  He was a single man, so where he is buried I have no idea and his siblings all died before him.  I've downloaded the photo of the Asylum gravestone - thanks Ken - as it could be that he was buried somewhere in the graveyard of St Mary's Church Prestwich.

Lizzie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Prestwich Lunatic Asylum later known as Prestwich Hospital
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Just found this great website on Prestwich Hospital that was once Prestwich Lunatic Asylum.
https://sites.google.com/site/prestwichospital

Index of Patients Admitted to Prestwich County Asylum 1851-1901
http://cdn.bbcmagazinesbristol.com/bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare/bonus_content/issue_58/sources/PrestwichAsylum/PrestwichAdmissions.pdf
Very interesting pdf by the MLFHS that show the Daily duties as well as the meals they ate.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Prestwich Lunatic Asylum later known as Prestwich Hospital
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
I was first surprised and then pleased to see tony h's avatar among the pictures at the foot of the page and on answer #3.  Tony was a lovely man, who went out of his way to help many people on RC.  He took photos for me of several of my ancestor's graves in Rochdale and was himself involved in the restoration of Gorton Monastery and the search for the resting place of one of its founders.  He undertook all sorts of quests for RootsChatters with great humour and is sadly missed.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.