Author Topic: BUCKLEY, LEE, BIGGINTON & HOWSEGO  (Read 3785 times)

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUCKLEY, LEE, BIGGINTON & HOWSEGO
« on: Wednesday 31 May 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of doing my family tree, my ancestors were Romanys:  the names i have links to so far are: BUCKLEY, LEE, SMITH, TAYLOR.

I also have the name Bigginton, which is my g-g nans maiden name, her first name was Hannah but she was known as Annie.  The problem is that i cannot find any information about this name anywhere!  She was married to Duriah Buckley (son of Frank and Elvira Buckley) - i know that most of the family were settled in the Canning Town and West Ham areas but that is not necessarily where the orginated, as Frank and Elvira were born in Suffolk.  There is a record of an Annie Lee marrying Duriah Buckley - so i dont know if she just lied about her name when she got married.

Also the name Howsego - im not sure if this is a Romany name or not, as i havent managed to find any information about this name either really.  My g-grandad was George Howsego and he married Annie (see above) and Duriahs daughter Hilda Buckley.  Georges parents were called Frederick William (sometimes it is recorded the other way around) and Emily Morris - they also lived in the Canning Town and West Ham area.  This is all the information that i can get though.

If anybody could help me i would be so so grateful.   :)
Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BUCKLEY, LEE, BIGGINTON & HOWSEGO
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
1891 census
Frank Buckley born 1849 Corley Suffolk  head Knife grinder and something else i can't read
Jane wife 1852 latimer London
Wriah son 1872 Essex Knife grinder
Albert 1877 Essex son
Bertie 1880 Neusal Green london
William 1882 Essex son
Sarah1887 essex
LIVING IN CARAVAN ENCAMPMENT TILBURY COMMON ESSEX
Source RG12/1379
Folio 72 Page 17

William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 06 21:13 BST (UK) »
Have found a birth for a George Howsego 1903 Dec quarter West Ham Essex Vol 4a page 132 could this be your great grandfather? :-\
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
I think the Wriah on the 1891 census is Duriah because I have found a birth for Essex 1873 Duriah Buckley district Rochford vol 4a page 233 Rochford is in Essex

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 June 06 18:33 BST (UK) »
hi babygirlbill!  :)

Assume that you know that the surnames Buckley, Lee, Smith and Taylor were/are common names for travellers in the south of England?  see http://www.rtfhs.org.uk/

best wishes and good luck!

Clara 
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
In reply to Irret

Thank you i have both of those certificates already, thanks for the information though.

And in reply to clarafmshaw, yes i knew that too! LOL

Thanks a lot for your help :)
Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline FunkyMama

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 July 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
I am a Bigginton.
My Father's side were of French decent, surname Refault
My Mother's side were of the surnames Amos/Burgess. My Mother's side were from Irish/Jew decent.
I am very much mixed blood, wandering if i have any links here? ;D