Author Topic: David Gibson FLEMING ex Ardullie, Kiltearn  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
David Gibson FLEMING ex Ardullie, Kiltearn
« on: Saturday 03 June 06 01:26 BST (UK) »
Where did this family of FLEMINGS disappear to ? Who was her mother ?

David Gibson Fleming born in Machester 1854/55 was married to my great uncle Andrew Ross' daughter Elizabeth Montgomery ROSS .
They married on 29 Feb 1876 at Muthil in Crieff. Her uncle James Errington ROSS factor at Abercairney,Crieff stood in place of her dead father who died at Tore House in 1860.

Her mother's name indecipherable on the marriage cert. and not noted on father's death cert. How unlucky could I get ?!

The couple moved into Ardullie farm on the Foulis estate ,Kiltearn when another uncle Henry SIM moved on to Phopachy near Inverness.

By 1881 they have 3 children David Gibson Fleming,  Eliz.Grace Fleming ,  Guy Robertson Fleming and another son Basil Lennox Fleming was born the following year.I have a photgraph of him aged about 10 on holiday with the Crieff Rosses.

Her cousin Iain Woodman Ross had a spell  ranching in Mexico and the Flemings are in photgraphs there about the turn of the century.

Did they return to U.K? I cannot find any of them .

At Iain's wedding in 1898  there are Flemings from Manchester on the guest list. David's parents I assume but I cannot trace them.

According to the 1881 census Eizabeth (26) was born in Oconniel,Tipperary in 1884/5.

It is a mystery I have tussled with for ages and obviously looking in all the wrong places.

Any help appreciated. :-[
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: David Gibson FLEMING ex Ardullie, Kiltearn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 06 01:16 BST (UK) »
See Lancashire county(*). Mo found wife and daughters at 11 Victoria Place, Eastbourne in 1901. Oh- please note Guy's middle name is Roberton (not Robertson)
Fransmoi.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Topic: 'Lost' David Gibson Fleming

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163515.0.html
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Roger Stubbings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 16 17:51 BST (UK) »
Although I cannot be 100% certain, I believe Basil Lennox Fleming married an Elizabeth "Lizzie" Artes in 1925. She lived at 4 High Street, Sawston, Cambridgeshire. Many things point to him being away from home at that time, and I think he died in 1926. The death was in the registration district of Royston, Hertfordshire, but the boundaries blur. I can't find his death recorded in the newspapers. You can find him in Lavender Hill, London in the 1911 Census, boarding with a missionary, and my GUESS is that he possibly followed the same path. In 1891 he is living with the family in Pavenham, Bedfordshire, where David G Fleming is a farmer. The only downside is that David is shown as having been born in Lancashire, but the children all hail from Scotland.

Hope this helps!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 16 11:23 BST (UK) »
I think Ardullie was the Munro dower-house for Castle Fowlis, also a building (girnel) there for storing & shipping grain.

Skoosh.

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re Basil Lennox Fleming 1855 -1921
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Eventually the Flemings came to the surface and yes Basil Lennox Fleming married but seemingly was a disturbed chap .He was a County Council roadman  though son of a wealthy family and was found dead by his own hand .He married Elizabeth  Arteson 3rd Oct 1925 when aged 43 yrs at Chesterton registry office,Cambridge. Whereas he had lived at The Hall,Stapleford.She was a shopkeeper at High St, Sawston which she ran with her sister Alice. Basil was referred to as Lennox to his family perhaps to distinguish from Basil Roberton Fleming 1855 - 1921 who died in a London nursing home son of David G Fleming and Elizabeth Roberton." Lennox" was their grandson. I have spent the morning in an unsuccesful  search for the press cutting .I do remember he was found outdoors in the field .So sad.
Frances.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
 Thank you for that .I visited Ardullie last year and found it a lovely house overlooking the Cromarty Firth.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust