Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41603 times)

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 24 April 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Just a Grid Ref given as the Bn's location on this day 835302. Some chaps on WW2Talk.Com can convert WW2 Grids to a current location today via Google Maps/Earth, it's a bit beyond my pay grade I'm afraid.

Reports of heavy rain causing rivers to swell making advance difficult. Some reports of enemy shelling and mortar fire on forward company areas but in the main a quiet day.

Mentions of B Company moving, held up by enemy shell fire and remainder of RHQ with guides from 8 Royal Fusiliers.

PoW from German Paratroop Regiment captured the following day so you know who the battalion was fighting.

Offline mtrplt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 24 April 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Drew, I think it must have been a second wound, especially with the form notifying his next of kin being sent.
In another page of his records, under the heading "Wounded" it says "wounded in action Italy 20-9-43" then below that it has "in action Italy" and the date 2-3-44 , which ties in with his casualty card.
Another page has him away from the batt. for 4 days, the first line being a scrawl I can't read, then it has " 2FA & 3FA & X(Z) 2-3-44"  Whatever that means, x(z) could be x(2), then the next line reads "Disch to 7th Bn.6-3-44"
Regards,
Bill.

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 25 April 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have the 1943 war diary for this unit or I'd look that date up as well. There's a considerable amount of info in the battalions 1944 diary inc maps but I'm not allowed to post pictures of anything from the National Archives on here.

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 04 June 16 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill
Here are the pages covering the 20th sept 43, from the War Chronicles, it looks like they where above Salerno somewhere.
adam

Moderator Comment. Images removed in accordance with Rootschat Copyright Policy. Please see here for more info.
www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline wallace11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 29 September 16 15:35 BST (UK) »
 Hi
my father was in the 7th batt.Ox and Bucks. he served in N.Africa and Italy fighting at enfidaville .the battle for tunis. then to salerno naples.caserta volturno crossing where he was wounded then on to camino the first battle for cassino along the garilgliano line when they retreated of a 1000 men only 60 returned my father being one of them they went back to eqypt to refit. they then fought on the gothic line and coriano ridge then to gemmano next the rimini line he was injured for a second time  on the 22nd september 1944 when he returned on the 29th sept ,there were not enough of the ox & bucks left to form a battalion and he was seconded into the queens royal reg.
he fought in some of the fiercest battles of italy he was wounded for a third time in march 1945 somewhere around the river senio and sent home I belong to to italy star assoc. and there met a grenadier guard who fought at camino they went up the mountain first and were almost wiped out then the ox & bucks went up he said it was worse than cassino because they had no where to hide it was bare rock and they were sitting targets plus it was very wet and bitterly cold many suffered frost bite. have not heard of any ox & bucks veterans still alive are there any out there?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 30 September 16 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi wallace11

Welcome to Rootschat

Milly :)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wallace11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My fathers WW2 Army file ?
« Reply #51 on: Friday 30 September 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Drew, thanks for info on ox & bucks diaries but I do have most of them ,I just wanted to chat to other ox & bucks families and pass on or get other info. It may be nice if anyone's father knew mine . I know he had a friend that lived in Hastings e.sx when I was a child in the late fifties /sixties as we used to visit him he had 2/3 girls I think his name was mick or Mack but that is all I can remember. also we use to visit his old reg.sergeant major at the tower of London. I believe he then ended up in the Chelsea pensioners home. My father was Sidney William Hussey. not to be confused with the Hussey that was an officer that was killed and is buried in salerno. 
regards
Freda   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: My fathers WW2 Army file ?
« Reply #52 on: Friday 30 September 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
Freda,
Did you intend to post on this thread?  :)
I've asked a moderator to move your post to the correct thread.

PS. Welcome to rootschat.  :)

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 30 September 16 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Wallace

Sadly, I don't believe there are many veterans of the 7th Bn. still alive. I am a volunteer with the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum in Woodstock (www.sofo.org.uk), and have been interviewing veterans for their archive for the last few years, and have not met anyone from the 7th yet.

It certainly sounds like your father had some interesting experiences though.