Author Topic: CRICKMORE, all of the St. Elmham's  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CRICKMORE, all of the St. Elmham's
« on: Sunday 04 June 06 00:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for birth/christening records of children of John CRICKMORE and Sarah STANNARD, married 6 Jan 1761, Wingfield, Suffolk.
     John, about 1760
     James, about 1766 (my 5th great grandfather, through an illegit. son)
     Robert, about 1768
I already have births for Charlotte, Sarah, Ann, and Elizabeth, but the sons still elude me.  All three sons are buried in Brockdish, Norfolk, in the CRICKMORE family plot.  The St. Elmham villages are St. Peter, St. Michael, St. Cross, All Saints, St. James, St. Nicholas, St. Margaret!  The family were landowners and lived at New Ditch Farm near Brockdish (across the river Waveney from Syleham).  I have already looked at wills, several parish records, and other websites and am at my wit's end!  Thanks for any help.  Susan in Oregon, U.S.A.

NORFOLK - Simpson, Snelling, Betts, Towler, Daniels, Rhodes, Darken, Silvey, Layton, Wells, Soons, Blyth, Slipper, Fitt, Sursham, Wilkin, Stratford, Weeks, Butler, Cuthbert, Blackburne, Pointer, Fisher, Bunton, Long, Mann, et al.
SUFFOLK - Cook, Moore, Youngs, Norman, Todd, Soanes, Crickmore, Boyce, Stone, White, Cubitt, Norman, Spence, Hickleton, Fiske, Butcher, Brown, Bloomfield, Woolner, Barnes, Tripp, Gurney, Burgess, Richards, Andrews, Gent, Sterry, Turner, et al.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CRICKMORE, all of the St. Elmham's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan

I found these today:

Elmham St Michael:
James Crickmer s/o John and Sarah bap 21st Oct 1764
Charlotte Crickmer (pb) d/o John and Sarah bap 25th Jan 1767

Elmham St Peter:
Sarah d/o John and Sarah Crickmoth bap 8th Jan 1769

Also at Elmham St Peter:
John s/o John Crickmer 13th March 1774

Sorry I could not help with the other sons.

Kind regards
Anne

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Sus,

As you have correctly listed, the South Elmham's are

Southelmham All Saints and Southelmham St Nicholas are two united parishes (St Nicholas having fallen down a few hundred years ago)

Southelmham St Cross (which - just to confuse us all - was also known as St George and as Sancroft in past times, that is in the sort of documents you and I may be searching).

Southelmham St James

Southelmham St Margaret

Southelmham St Michael

Southelmham St Peter

and just to confuse us all further there is a Northelmham in Norfolk  :)

Our Bridges ancestors also pop back and forth between Syleham and Brockdish.

Our daughter's godmother lives in Syleham and we often used to walk, many years ago, with the children in their prams and buggies along the lane, and then over the bridge and into Brockdish - a short walk.  Then to the shop for ice creams along the banks of the river.

Good luck with the search - as we say around here, you are searching in the wilds of Bow and Arrow country  ;)

Suffolk Mawther ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Anne, for the information on the Crickmore baptisms I was seeking.  You have saved me a lot of searching.  I was particularly glad to see the baptism for James, my ancestor.     Susan in Oregon.
NORFOLK - Simpson, Snelling, Betts, Towler, Daniels, Rhodes, Darken, Silvey, Layton, Wells, Soons, Blyth, Slipper, Fitt, Sursham, Wilkin, Stratford, Weeks, Butler, Cuthbert, Blackburne, Pointer, Fisher, Bunton, Long, Mann, et al.
SUFFOLK - Cook, Moore, Youngs, Norman, Todd, Soanes, Crickmore, Boyce, Stone, White, Cubitt, Norman, Spence, Hickleton, Fiske, Butcher, Brown, Bloomfield, Woolner, Barnes, Tripp, Gurney, Burgess, Richards, Andrews, Gent, Sterry, Turner, et al.

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Suffolk Mawther -- Thanks for the info on all the St. Elmham's.  And, for your memories of Syleham and Brockdish.  I have never been there, so the mental picture your description created was great!  Susan in Oregon.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again  :D

Unfortunately, as in so many villages, that shop is long gone, so no longer can we buy ice creams and sit on the banks of the river to eat them.

However, this is a lovely unspoilt part of England, and the stroll along the lanes is still possible.  Our friends live at the top of the lane to Syleham St Mary parish church, at a crossroads and they so still get 'mobile shops' calling. They park across the road and when we were last there staying over for the weekend on Sunday morning, we went to buy the newspapers from the back of a small van.

all best wishes, SM ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 06 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, SM --

My 2nd great grandmother, Frances Crickmore ("Fanny") was born in Syleham in 1839, and I have tried to picture what it must have been like for her to grow up in such a small village during the Victorian age.   She was raised by her grandparents, and after their deaths went to Lowestoft to work as a house servant.  She met and married Samuel Moore and they raised their eight children in various cottages on Light House Score. 

Back to Syleham -- I know from the 1851 British census that Fanny and her grandparents lived on Great Green in Syleham.  Do you know it?  Does it still exist?  They lived at number 46.   

By the way, even though I am an American (but born in Norwich), I do know what "Suffolk Mawther" means!  I can just imagine how my dad would pronounce it (he was from Lowestoft).   

Thanks for your reply.  All the best.

Susan in Oregon

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:34 BST (UK) »
Good day to yew Sus,

So you reckon yew hev sussed me eh?  Well Oi reckon yew may be roight about ode Suffolk Mawther - Oi hint so young these days tho  :)

Have you had a look at Syleham church?  Being right up on the borders it has a round tower more associated with Norfolk than Suffolk - www.suffolkchurches.co.uk

Will have a look for the address you mention and let you know what I can find.

This weekend my husband John and I will be conducting a walking tour around Framlingham (his home town).  It's 'A Stroll around Victorian Framlingham' (www.framlingham.com)

Yet another busy weekend coming up  ;)

Cheeeeerio!
SM ...

I have to find two more!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:40 BST (UK) »
Explanation  . . . . . .

MAWTHER - this is a term given to young women by young men, so they would refer to their girlfriends as 'my mawther'

It's a few years since my bor referred to me as young mawther, though he still says mawther - occasionally or more often jokingly !

as in ... dew yew come along young mawther ...

For more information on the Suffolk Dialect great source of information is our dear friend Bob's book

'The Mardler's Companion'
A dictionary of East Anglian Dialect
Robert Maltster
Malthouse Press 1999
ISBN 0 9522355 7 9

Available in Suffolk libraries.

I have to find two more!