Author Topic: Messages, Replies and E-mails  (Read 216952 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Messages, Replies and E-mails
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 December 07 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

YES!!

Personal Messages are great for passing information that you don't want to post on the boards, such as email addresses and details of living family.

BUT they can put undue pressure on RootsChat members if they are used to demand further information.

If a RootsChatter wants further assistance, the request is best placed on the same post as the original request, if it relates to it, OR a new request should be started.

Keeping all relevant info together is important - by conducting research by PM you might prevent someone from adding that vital detail that you were after in the first place.

I feel very strongly that it becomes hard to say "No" to people who make requests by PM and I know of RootsChatters who have stopped helping altogether because of constant demands on their time.

A request posted on the boards can be taken up or ignored - this is as it should be.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 December 07 14:05 GMT (UK) »
A request posted on the boards can be taken up or ignored

I wouldn't say ignored Arranroots ;) when you go through posts to see if  you can help and find you cant.you pass it :)  If a post hasn't got any replies it usually means  so far no one has the answear .Loads of members have read it but passed  it:) In regard to Request by P.M.If it isn't your thing ;D The best thing is to advise the sender to put it on the public board new topic as mentioned

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 December 07 16:04 GMT (UK) »

I totally agree with you Celia .. but I think Arranroots was trying to make the point that a lot of RootsChatter's haven't the heart to advise them to do that.  ;)

They then get involved and this is something AR is trying to help us avoid for our own best interests!  :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 December 07 17:05 GMT (UK) »
They then get involved
Yes i know ;) ;) ;) ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Hazel Mayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 March 08 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Berlin Bob.  I'm fairly new to RootsChat.  Yesterday I got a reply from someone who is connected to my ancestry, and I gave them my e-mail address so I could send things thru to them, but the moderator for Ireland has deleted it because he/she says it could be used for abuse or spam.  Now I've read your list of how to do things, but I think I'm being a bit thick, as I don't understand how to e-mail things thru RootsChat.  Not being the world's most literate computer person I'm now confused.  Can you help me please and explain it to me as though I were a 2 year old doing this for the first time?

Thank you, confused of Spain (Hazel)
Theobald-Manchester/Liverpool
Tudor- Liverpool
Tinsley - Liverpool
Clark - Cherry Burton/Pocklington
Taylor - Hallow Worcs
Cooper - Manchester
Bradford - Ireland & Liverpool
Bigg - Manchester/New Zealand
Cook - Pocklington, Yorks

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 March 08 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hazel,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

if you look in this topic, you will find answers to most of your questions

Topic: RootsChat Topics: How to use RootsChat / FAQs
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207046.0.html

there are a couple of topics concerning Personal Messages. 
Read them through, and if it's still unclear, then ask again.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 11:45 GMT (UK) »
For some strange reason I have suddenly stopped receiving emails when a reply has been posted to a topic I’ve posted in.  I have checked my profile under “Notifications and Email” and nothing seems to have changes in my profile.  All three options are still selected;

•   Receive RootsChat announcements by email.
•   Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
•   Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.

I tried selecting “notify” in one of my messages as suggested by Berlin-Bob but got a message “Are you sure you wish to disable notification of new replies of this topic” but I want to “enable” them?!?
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hanan

This has happened to me sometime in the past and it was my service provider filtering them out as spam.  Are you able to check this out?

Did you get a notification for this reply?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

No I didn't get a message for you... I've looked at my blocked senders list and Rootchat isn't listed.   ???

It's a bit annoying, missing all the replies :'(

CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire