Author Topic: Messages, Replies and E-mails  (Read 216900 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Messages, Replies and E-mails
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 18:23 BST (UK) »
Bob -

What does " Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post" mean? Also How do I access or review my new post?

Thanks.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
Means pretty much that !

You open a thread - maybe a request for a Lookup.... while you are searching and formatting, someone else has replied to the thread.

When you finally click POST / SAVE, the System alerts you that another Post has been made whilst you were busy ..... it 'holds' your post so that you can scroll down the page to see whats been added.

It may be that someone else has posted the search you were doing, in which case you may wish to abandon, or modify your response before clicking POST /SAVE.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi yn9man,

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post

it means exactly what it says  :)

You see a posting and want to reply. You click on "reply" and start typing.
But, while you are typing, someone else is also replying to this post, and they send their reply before you send yours.

The software notices this and prints the above message.  If you page down a bit, you can then see this new message, and decide whether you still want to post yours (it's different information) or whether to delete yours (it may just be repeating information from the other post).  Or you may want to edit yours to in light of the new information, before sending it.

Bob

Just happened to me now !!!!
NecroMance has replied, using less words, so that post got sent quicker than mine !
(so I added these red lines  ;D )
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 July 06 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing up some of my questions. Can you delete or "zero out" the  personal message section or is it an ongoing "counter"?

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 July 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi yn9man,

Can you delete or "zero out" the  personal message section or is it an ongoing "counter"?

not quite sure how you mean that, so if this doesn't help, ask again.

The "You have xxx messages" is a permanent counter and always appears, if you are logged in to RootsChat.

It always shows the number of messages currently in your in-box.
So if you never delete anything, then it is an on-going counter.

But once you've read them, there is nothing to stop you deleting your unneeded PMs (it's even recommended  ;D )so the count could go up and down from day to day, depending on how "heavy" your delete-finger is.

This counter only shows your in-box, not your out-box, which also need de-cluttering from time to time  ;D ;D

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Captain (aka Graham in Reading)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Another source of inspiration
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 July 06 19:10 BST (UK) »
Bob
I presume you are the chap in charge of the whole thing.  I've just joined and trying to get the hang of things.
I'd like to know how we get to talk specifically to another member.  For example, if I find that someone is researchnig exactly the same person as me, might be a 2x/3x/4x grandparent thus making that person my 3rd/4th/nth cousin.  Want to share info with them but its not really ALL for public consumption.
We can't put our own email addresses on the post so how do we do it?  Can't find the answer in the help screens, sorry if its there.
Thanks
Graham
HORN, BARTLETT, HIGGINS, BUDDINGTON, CROW, EMERY, TWYMAN, BURBRIDGE, SOLLY, FRIGHT; Kent, mainly Thanet
MASON, PILLEY; Cheltenham, Tewkesbury and Winchcombe, Gloucestershire
CAUDELL, HORTON, CHASE; Berkshire/Hampshire border
BRAY; Taunton, Somerset
MANFIELD; SW Surrey (and maybe Devonshire)
KIRBY, LASSAM; Kingston, Surrey
WOODS, STEVENS, PULLEN, SW Surrey
WILEMAN, ARGYLE; Derbyshire/Leicestershire border
FOX; If anyone can trace any of this line you will be my friend for life!

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 July 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

thanks for the compliment, but I'm just one of the RootsChat Team.

If you want to talk privately to a member, then send them a PM, a Private Message.  You can exchange all the confidential info. you like there, and nobody else will see it.

have a look here for more information:
Topic: Personal Messages
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,17109.0.html

Enjoy RootsChat,
Bob

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 August 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just recentlyjoined the Roots Chat Site.

I have received two emails, but when I click on them to open then, they will not open.

My code name is "Twinkleberry"
Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 September 06 18:28 BST (UK) »
Bob -

Another newbie type question --- 

How does one go about "de cluttering" their "out box". I would like to delete a few of the messages I sent but keep the majority of them.

Thanks and KUDOS again to you and the other founders / honchos of this site. It it truly amazing. 

yn9man