Author Topic: WATERFIELD in Tavistock  (Read 24909 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WATERFIELD in Tavistock
« on: Thursday 08 June 06 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am hoping someone can help me find Josiah Waterfield in 1881. Josiah is the 1st born son (c1858) of Mary Ann Waterfield . She, it seems had 3 illegitimate boys ie: Josiah 1858, Francis Mitchell Waterfield b 1872 (i have his birth cert ..fathers name is not there) and Thomas Hy waterfield b 1878.
this is the info i have :
Robert Waterfield married Mary Ferris
Their children :
My Mary Ann b 1836
Hannah Ferris b 1839
William b 1843
John Doidge waterfield b 1848
Theophilis b 1850
mary b 1855

I have:
Mary Ann with parents and sister Hannah in 1841 (West St ?)
1851: with parents and siblings
1861: with parents, siblings and Josiah (23 ? bridge cottages)
1871: with Josiah (29?neler st) found her under WATERFIED
1881: with Francis(aka Frank) and Thomas (9 Ford st)
!891: with Thomas (2 Pauls building)
1901: with Thomas (pauls bld)
(all in Tavistock)

My GGrandfather Francis Mitchell Waterfield Joined the navy(became a Chief petty Officer) marriedMary Jane Adams in 1899.....I have them living in Bannawell st in 1901.

Regarding Josiah... i have found him in 1871 (with his mother)and in 1891 and 1901 in the St Andrews area with his wife Mary (Northmore).
i have tried searching under just Josiah in Devon...also tried Josaih/Josia/Joshia etc.

Ok i have rambled on enough...LOL
If anyone has any connection to this family or can help in anyway i would be grateful.
Also i wonder how Mary Ann got away with THREE illegitimate sons .... and i wonder what happened that her 2nd and 3rd sons were born almost 20 years after the first ?
 have a good day
Deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfields in Tavistock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 06 00:03 BST (UK) »
hi debs,
well what a turn up i have a waterfield family who also come from tavistock bannawell street in fact coincidence or what i ask?  so we are digging deep to find your family as we know that there was at that time one big family of waterfields all related in the village and all it seems were either illegitimate or placed with other families, our james martin waterfield was born in the workhouse the usual place when the mother was unmarried ,do you have any other details of the family as i do think we have a link although my james was born in 1842 it may be that they were cousins , so keep in touch and i will get back to you as soon as i find them
oh im excited!
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
hi Krissy
well right now i am so p/o because i wrote a whole long letter to you and then all of a sudden my computer went on the blink and i have to try and remember what i wrote >:(
okay i will start again......if i can remember...LOL...okay i can't remember but the coincidence is that you have Waterfields living next door to each other at bannawall street but have you seen in in the 1881 census there are waterfields living next door to each other in Ford street....at number 9 and 10.
in 1881 we have :
james waterfield     head ...b abt 1842   
emma  waterfield     wife     b 1844
florence waterfield    dau     b 1872
william   waterfield   son      b 1874
they all lived at 10b ford st

next door at the same time is :
mary Ann waterfield (my gg grandmother) b 1836
francis mitchell ...my gr grandad b 1872
thomas hy    b.1878
living at 9 ford street

this was not my original post to you..... lol..i have forgotten what i said earlier before i lost all of my info to you ...i will be back soon when i can think without being tired,,,,,also major thunderstorm happening here ...will post later
bye for now
 deb

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 06 09:27 BST (UK) »
hi debs,
hope your more awake now not sure of the time difference between us but anyway, yes we notice the closeness in the families which is why i am convinced that we were some how related, hopefully if we dig enough i will find out . the link has to be with robert so thats the road im going right now , as i said they were a big family and most of the girls ended up with illegitimate children, my grt grandfather being one of them yours too! banawell st street came under the poor law union as was west st ford st etc, so with not a lot going for them a lot of these children were placed with other families to help the mother, our james was placed with the martins yet his surname was waterield? so maybe josiah was placed with another family at some point too, we will find him im sure.
will get back to you as soon as i find anything
bye for now
krissy

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 06 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Krissy

Nice to see you're still on the Waterfield trail.
Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
terrymo! hi there cousin, what do you think of this post then? i think its more than a coincidence that our waterfields were living next door to debs waterfields , so get your finger out girl and help solve this mystery, miss marples here is out at a birthday bash tonight so wont be capable of doing much . whats new?
anyway i think the road i am looking down is robert waterfiedld and could he have been a brother, cousin etc, to james martin waterfields mother ? theres a link somewhere girl i can smell it, since we are both daughters of the famous waterfield sisters i feel sure we can crack this one eh?
talk to you soon mo
luv krissy

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again

i have jus read your post Terrymo and am so glad you are here to help us .:)
I just wanted to know some things as i have been searching for your James and have no idea if you have any info to go on ...ie: birth cert, word of mouth etc.... what do you know about him and his mum? did he have siblings?

Also i would love to hear all about these ancestors of ours that have had illegitimate children ...I thought my Mary Ann was  the black sheep of the family ... most glad to know i am not alone LOL

I have also googled Bannawell street and Ford street just so i could get a feel of the place ...i did read that there was a poorhouse or hospital in one of the streets , can't remember which one . i'd been interested to read about the poor law union.

Regarding Josiah...i was thinking that maybe he was on a ship in 1881 as i can't find him anywhere. I have even tried him under Josiah FERRIS  as that was his grandmothers maiden name .

Earlier i got excited as i thought i had found your James (in 1851 census).... he was with Margaret (head 38yrs) and 2 brothers Richard 16 and william 13 BUT then i discovered your James Martin Waterfield further down the page  :'(

okay ...hope to hear from you soon
Deb

Ps i have also been in contact with a descendant of Theophilus  Waterfield . i will look back on our correspondence and see if that brings any new info. (Theophilus is the brother of Mary ann and s/o Robert and Mary Waterfield.)

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 June 06 23:08 BST (UK) »
hi debs,
i was wondering what your parents names are and which one is connected to the waterfields?
it seems likely although of course we need to prove it that robert could have been a brother to our elizabeth mother of james waterfield , she doesnt appear to have married despite having a child whom it seems she had placed into the care of another family, our link is edgar john waterfield , james,s son who was my grandfather and terrymos, mo is my cousin,from plymouth her mother and mine are sisters , both waterfields again another big family will have to send details. how did you end up in the usa?meanwhile we will still keep digging eh?
krissy

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 06 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Again
okay this is my story: my dad mother was Mabel Waterfield ...Daughter of Francis Mitchell Waterfield the illegitimate son of Mary Ann Waterfield who is the d/o robert Waterfield.

Mabel Waterfield grew up as one of 7 girls in  a wealthy household...francis having become a chief petty officer in the navy( Mabel Waterfield married william middleton) ...also i am researching his wife Mary Ann Adams side of the family ...who came from farmers..... owning property ...maybe that's where the money came from ????????? who knows!!!!?

I ordered francis mitchell waterfields birth cert hoping against hope that there may be a dad's name ...well no such luck!!!!! no dad on cert.

ok enough of me...lets find the dead peeps LOL. (please excuse typing .... i am not a typist ,,,lol)

i think we have to investigate all the kids of Robert Waterfield  and see where that leads us.... it's 11'30 pm saturday here ...still having red wine as friendss have just left ...... lol ...need some sleep
will talk soon

ps : please explain your and terrymo 's   cousinship LOL...... Blimey this is all so confusing ....LOL