Author Topic: WATERFIELD in Tavistock  (Read 24854 times)

Offline criochtun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfields in Tavistock
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
The list I have of children for William Waterfield and Elizabeth Martin (m.1808) is as follows:

John W. (1811-1813) East Stonehouse
Mary W. (1814) Tavistock
Elizabeth Martin W. (1816) Plymouth St. Andrews
Maria Perkin W. (1819) Plymouth St. Andrews
John Richard W. (1821) Plymouth St. Andrews
Ann W. (1823-1825) East Stonehouse
James Martin (1826/7) East Stonehouse

There are Census Returns for this family in 1851 & 1861 in Plymouth - they mention Mary, Elizabeth and John Richard. It is possible that the Elizabeth Martin Waterfield listed above (1816) was the mother of the James Martin Waterfield that was farmed out to the Martin family. The one listed above would have been much older than the James M. Waterfield born in 1842.

As for Elizabeth Martin, she would have been born c.1786 in Tavistock (from Census entries) and had a brother William (b.c.1796 in Tavistock) and possibly another brother Richard (b.c.1783 or 1791 in Tavistock). The latter is listed with his brother William's family in the Census of 1841. The existence of these three siblings may help us pin down the parents among the many Devon Martins. However, I note a link with the Wesleyan Methodist denomination, so their names may not appear in the Anglican Records. In 1841, the son of a local Methodist preacher, Evans Truscott, is also resident with the Martins in Tavistock!

We're getting there...

Ross.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 February 12 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth M WATERFIELD definitely married my SQUANCE in 1834, and had just given birth herself in 1842, so I doubt she is the one. The plot thickens!
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Dalibabe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 February 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hey guys if u check free bmd James Waterfield was one of a twin, his sister Eliza Waterfield is also there
Jefferis, Waterfield, Dewar, Harding, Fingerneissl, Welman, Alder

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Not necessarily - they are on different pages, which can mean consecutive recordings, but not always.

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Now I'm even more confused!!

DOB7 how do you know it was Elizabeth Martin Waterfield who married Thomas Squance as the parish record for East Stonehouse only shows her as Elizabeth M Waterfield.

In 1841 I believe  Elizabeth Martin Waterfield is living at Emma Place East with her mother and sister Maria, although it's difficult to be absolutely sure due to the rounding up of ages.
1851 no sign of Elizabeth M but there is a grandchild, born 1840,  living with William and Elizabeth - another one of Elizabeh Ms? 
1861 Elizabeth M is back home with her parents and the granchild, John is still there .

I'm going to buy the birth certificate of the grandchild John and see if this throws any light on the subject. 
How lovely to stir up the Waterfields again as I'd thought we'd reached a dead end.
Mo

Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 February 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
hi guys havent read thro all the post so not sure if thi 51 s has been already found, but on checking thro my fam history records i found the 1851 record we had for james martin , seems there were 2 of them so we need to decide who is who and maybe we will get somewhere ha ha !!

1851 census
34 west bridge cotts tavistock
william martin head 55 journeyman , mason
johanna martin wife 51
james martin son 19 mason
elizabeth martin daur 16 working at copper mine
priscilla martin daur 14 house ser
hannah martin 10 scholar
james martin waterfield nurse child 9 scholar
john truscott widower
wonder if this will shed some light

krissy xx

jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 February 12 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Krissy
It would seem that our James Martin Waterfield was the son of Elizabeth Martin Waterfield and her parents were William Waterfield and Elizabeth Martin.  It also looks as though there was another illegitimate son, John, born in 1840 who lived with his grandparents.  I've sent for his birth cert to see if he is the son of Elizabeth, as I suspect. 
I'll let you knoe what I find out in due course.
Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 February 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Well I'm completely flummoxed about Elizabeth M WATERFIELD who married Thomas SQUANCE. so many WATERFIELDs married the same SQUANCE family (well 3) and they all lived in and around Lower Batter Street, Moon Street, King Street, Frankfort Street and Looe Street in Plymouth.
However, I can confirm that John WATERFIELD born 1839 appears to have married Fanny Louisa LANDER 3 Apr 1867 at Sutton-on-Plym Church. Both gave abode as 20 Looe Street and he named his father as William WATERFIELD, Mason!
Please let us know if you get John's birth certificate. The 1851 census gave his age as 12 and the 1841 as 1. In 1861 he was 21, and in 1881 he was 41.

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 February 12 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The birth certificate for John Waterfield, 3/1/1840, shows he was another illegitimate son of Elizabeth Waterfield.   He was brought up mainly by his grandparents William and Elizabeth Waterfield.
Interestingly in 1841 John is living with grandad William in Fore Street, Stonehouse, whilst his mother Elizabeth is living with grandmother Elizabeth at Emma Place West, the address given on the birth certificate. In 1842 Elizabeth had another illegitimate son, James,  in Tavistock Workhouse, who was brought up by her uncle William Martin.

1851 living  3 Lower Batter Street, Plymouth with both grandparents and their family but mother Elizabeth is missing. I believe Elizabeth is working as a servant in Barton terrace, Dawlish.

1861 living 3 Lower Batter Street,with grandparents and also mother Elizabeth. Occupation merchant seaman.

John married Fanny Lander 3/4/1867 occupation mariner.  Father given as William Waterfield, mason - as he was brought up by his grandfather did he consider him to be his father? Witnesses were Elizabeth Phillips and Peter Lander (bride's father). Address given as Looe Street, Plymouth

Does this help solve the mystery at all?

Mo