Author Topic: Andrew Fishburn  (Read 11018 times)

Offline Doug Fishburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Fishburn
« on: Friday 09 June 06 06:54 BST (UK) »
New user (Australian) seeking information on Andrew Fishburn who travelled to Australia on the First Fleet as a marine/carpenter serving in the Royal Marines 35th(Portsmouth) Company. I have fairly complete information on his time in Australia prior to his death in Parramatta in 1796 and his descendants but have no information on his birth (c.1760??),birthplace, parents etc. I have been told but cannot confirm that records for the Royal Marines were destroyed in the bombing of Portsmouth in WWII.

I have often speculated that there could be a link to shipbuilder Thomas Fishburn of Whitby who built the Earl of Pembroke (which became Cook's ship Endeavour) and several other vessels including the storeship Fishburn for the First Fleet.
 Hope someone may be able to assist in this matter.
Doug Fishburn 

Offline debbyftm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Fishburn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Cant help you other than i live in the village with that name and i know a family here with the surname too. I think they divorced a long time ago so i dont know of the husband who is a Fishburn!  ::)
Lawton, Callender, Newton - County Durham, Northumberland
Pybus, Hodgson, Canada and Yorkshire -
Trenholm - Yorkshire, Canada
Mildenstein - Cuba, USA, Germany, Liverpool, London, Hull and UK

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 06 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Doug

I also wanted to know if I was related to Thomas Fishburn. It took a long time and it looks like I am. However in all the research I have done I don't have a single Andrew Fishburn.
Did you know there is an area in Whitby (where the Earl of Pembroke was built) called Fishburn Park?
My mother's maiden name was Fishburn and guess where I now live - Whitby!
Best of luck with your search. I would advise a look at the family trees on Ancestry for a few pointers as most of the Fishburn tree is on there now in one tree or another.

Regards
Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AndrewR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mr Fishburn

I was wondering if you may be able to help me in my search for my family tree on Dad's side.  I recall  Dad mentioning that his ancestor was Andrew Fishburn who came to Australia on the First Fleet and that a family tree had been developed; some years ago (the 1970's from memory).  However, I do not know who was responsible for drawing up the tree and Dad passed away in 2005.

I note that you have some information about Andrew Fishburn's descendants.  My father's name was Norman Ross Rowe and I believe Dad's mother was a Fishburn.  Grandfather's name was Oliver Norman Rowe (I think).  I was wondering if they may be the descendants of Andrew Fishburn.

Could you please confirm that I have the correct Fishburn and if so, whom I should contact to update and obtain a copy of the family tree.  I have three grown up sons and a six month old granddaughter, whom I would like to include in the tree.  If there are any costs involved in forwarding this information, please let me know and I will fix this up.

Regards

AndrewR

Offline Doug Fishburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
Nice to hear from you as I have fairly extensive information on most of the Fishburns which I an happy to share.
The specific information relating to your request that I have is:
Oliver Norman Rowe married May Fishburn (daughter of John Andrew Fishburn and Eliza Smith) in Murrurundi NSW in 1907 and they had the following children:- James O. Rowe b. 1909,John (Jack) Rowe b.1912, Norman Ross Rowe b. 1914 and Elsie M Rowe b. 1917.
Whilst I have lots more on the Fishburns the above is all I have on the Rowes so I would be happy to expand on this with actual birthdates/places wives children etc if you have this.
I live in Brisbane and suggest you email me direct at (*) and we can discuss how much data you want (it becomes addictive you know !!) etc etc
Cheers
Doug

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lynette wicken

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Your speculation regarding Andrew,s connection to the building of the endeavour is right. I have family history from research by Australian family

Offline Rionne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 11 04:02 BST (UK) »
Family history handed down through Andrew Fishburn's family have always maintained that the supply ship 'Fishburn' was built by Andrew whose father was the ship builder.  Andrew transferred to 2 ships coming to Australia.
My spouse's mother was a Fishburn and grew up in the Galston area near Castle Hill Sydney Australia.  She is the non-disclosed link on the Ozigens Australian Royalty.
The Fishburn's have a street named after them in Galston.  The family had acerage where they grew fruit.
Family frequent the cemetry to remember and pray for the Fishburns, Sonters and Dadd's.

Offline faye chapman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am directly descended from ANDREW FISHBURN of the First Fleet and I have been trying for years to work out where he was born, his parents/siblings names etc, all to no avail. Several months ago I emailed the WHITBY Museum and they said thy researched all the records they could and NEVER came across the name ANDREW. They said he was not related to THOMAS Fishburn of the Fishburn Ship making at Whitby.
My question, is there anyone available that could check all English BDM records and see if there is anyone that could be Andrew born around his suspected birth date. I also question if Andrew is his first OR second name. Also can anyone check the Portsmouth Company he enlisted with and see if there are records of him enlisting? Hoping for a reply and answers to these questions
Cheers Faye

Offline Fishburn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 June 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynette (Wicken),

I'm Doug's daughter, Jennifer. I'd be very interested to hear from you regarding the research you mention on the Andrew Fishburn connection to Whitby. Would you be able to share?

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers,
Jennifer