Author Topic: Andrew Fishburn  (Read 10985 times)

Offline Ed Carr

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Fishburn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 July 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
My brother in law is a descendant of Andrew Fishburn and wants to know more about him (like the other posters to this conversation), especially his place of birth and the identity of his parents. Despite him being virtual Australian "royalty", being a first fleeter, those mysteries don't seem to have been revealed. There is the tantalising possibility that he is related in some way to the Fishburns who were ship builders in Whitby. Does anyone have information they would like to share, or has no-one been able to break down this brick wall? Thanks, Ed

Offline Vidergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Im another Andrew Fishburn descendant. Happy to chat with other distant descendants. Im an related through Andrew's grand daughter Elizabeth's marriage to Samuel James Moore.
Cheers

Offline debbyftm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 August 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Just to add...my sister visited Sydney last year and in the harbour was a ship called the Fishburn. She asked about it and it was from Whitby...I’m sure that’s what she said...I think she also has a photo of it
Lawton, Callender, Newton - County Durham, Northumberland
Pybus, Hodgson, Canada and Yorkshire -
Trenholm - Yorkshire, Canada
Mildenstein - Cuba, USA, Germany, Liverpool, London, Hull and UK

Offline debbyftm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 August 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
Lawton, Callender, Newton - County Durham, Northumberland
Pybus, Hodgson, Canada and Yorkshire -
Trenholm - Yorkshire, Canada
Mildenstein - Cuba, USA, Germany, Liverpool, London, Hull and UK

Offline ceagle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
Andrew Fishburn is my 4 times great grandfather on my fathers maternal line.  My fathers mother was Madelaine Fishburn.  I too have recently been doing research to try to find information relating to Andrew's pre First Fleet  life, but with the same limited success as others.

A couple of points:

1. Contrary to information given to me by a researcher at the National Archives in Kew, i.e. "All I can say is that a Private in the Marines is very unlikely to have worked in that capacity (carpenter)  whilst serving as a Marine." The book 'The Voyage of Governor Phillip to Botany Bay' certainly indicates that there were a number of artificers, including carpenters, masons, etc on the First Fleet, including Andrew Fishburn.  Apparently many of the First Fleet marines were former tradesmen displaced by the Industrial Revolution, and their skills helped to build the colony.

2. I have also been in touch with the Whitby Museum and they cast doubt on the veracity that Andrew was related to Thomas Fishburn of ship building fame and particularly that he was Thomas's son.  That's not to say that he couldn't have come from Whitby, but no one has been able to provide any evidence to this fact.  I suspect too that the claim that he was born around 1760 is based on his approximate age when he died.

I certainly look forward to any further information that may be available.

Don