Author Topic: Charlestown - where is it?  (Read 12681 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Charlestown - where is it?
« on: Monday 12 June 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone assist me in locating Charlestown, Monmouthshire?

My great grandmother Esther BIRD (yes, her again!) was born in Charlestown, Bedwellty (sub district Rock, Bedwellty) in 1861.  Also in 1861 her family are enumerated in Charlestown.

I am finding this very confusing as Rock is nowhere near where I believe Charlestown to have been!!

The enumerators walk for District 2 of Rock Bedwellty includes the hamlet of Islawrcoed - is this Argoed?

Something I read recently suggested that Charlestown was once the name used for Bargoed.  Can anyone confirm this or otherwise enlighten me, please?

Many thanks, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlestown - where is it?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

does this help ??

from
LOCAL DISTRICTS & HAMLETS WITHIN PARISHES,
AND ALTERNATIVE ENGLISH/WELSH VARIANT NAMES (Gwent FHS)
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wlsgfhs/Places.htm#B2

Argoed     part of     Bedwellty (Rock Bedwellty S-D.)
:
Bargoed (minor part)     part of     Bedwellty (Rock Bedwellty S-D.)
:
Charlestown     part of     Bedwellty (Rock Bedwellty S-D.)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 06 09:18 BST (UK) »
No!!  :-\ ;D

Sorry Bob - I have seen that, but it doesn't clarify matters much!

It seems that the names used in 1861, even those that are in Welsh, have been altered and they do not feature on a modern map.  Old-maps is offline at the moment, but the search didn't produce anything helpful either.

When I was in the area last week we found Rock (north of Blackwood) and passed through Bedwellty going east.  Bargoed/ Argoed and Aberbargoed are further east and dangerously close to Glamorgan!!

Thanks for looking though

Still somewhat puzzled

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 06 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Arran
Charlestown was just to the north of Blackwood.
If you do a gazetter search for Blackwood on the
Old- maps ( now back on line) web site you cannot miss it.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 06 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rhys  :D

So when I crossed the new Sirhowy bridge just north of Blackwood I was nearly there?

I went up the hill toward Cefn Fforest, but also took a quick visit up to Rock and the junction for Bedwellty.  How annoying to be so near & not realise it!!

I suppose the area is just part of Blackwood now, or did the name get changed to something else?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Arran
When you went up the hill off the new bridge to Cefn Forest
i think you travelled along Sunnybank, which is on the old maps site. Not  absolutely sure ,but i believe St Margarets church is on the main road going into Blackwood just south of the bridge.
To answer your earlier query re Ishlawrcoed.
Although described as a hamlet, it was in fact  a large district which covered the whole of the parish of Rock Bedwellty. ie Blackwood ,Argoed, Charlestown etc in the Tredegar (Sirhowy) valley. Also all areas over the mountain westwards to the Parish and County boundary which was the River Rhymney.ie Cefn forest, Pengam ,Aberbargoed and that  small part of Bargoed which was situated to the east of the river Rhymney.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 06 14:06 BST (UK) »
Oh now I know - but I don't!!   ;D

I am trying to pin the family down to an address, but will have to abandon the quest.

Many thanks for explaining that - I will just have to say that Esther was born on a mountain side (or a valley)...

;D ;D

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 03:27 BST (UK) »
Arranroots, what is the address you have? I lived in the area for 30 years and Dad for 70. We have several books about the area "in the olden days." Perhaps we could help. Funnily enough we came home from that area last week!
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ozlady

Thanks for your reply: I appreciate it!  My mum was born in the area, so she has some of the type of books you describe.  You will have to let me know what names (by PM) in case we are related!  ::) ;D

The trouble with Esther is that I don't have a street address: just "Charlestown, Bedwellty" on both birth cert and 1861 census.  The parents married elsewhere & by 1871 the family had moved on.

I hope you enjoyed visiting the area?  I was able to find other houses that my ancestors had lived in & will return to look for the others, but as I say, Esther's birthplace will remain a mystery! When I win the lottery I will order certs for her siblings & at least that will tie them down a bit!