Author Topic: Charlestown - where is it?  (Read 12740 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charlestown - where is it?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Arronroots

No problem - Incidently there are now 6 Blackwood Yesterday books (by Ewart Smith)- and most of them are in the local libraries.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Arronroots

Our recent communication piqued my interest again and I borrowed a number of the Blackwood Yesterday books.  In book 5 (published 2004) there is a copy of a letter written in 1920 by a Stanley Lanagan which starts:

"I was born June 14th 1878 in a cottage near the old foundary in the part of Blackwood, then known as 'Charlestown'. 

The letter goes on to describe the area, life and work.

It describes the Blackwood of his early days as:

"Blackwood was a beautiful little village in those days, as it is a prosperous little business town today.  In those days there was fine trout in the Sirhowy river and many brooks of clear water in the vicinity of the village. Birds of every description in the woods, even the nightingale visited the locality"

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 July 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
Oh, that's so picturesque!

The last time I was down there, it was a beautiful day and you could almost imagine nightingales ...

;) ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Taffrocker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 March 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was told my great grandfather came to Bargoed before the first pit was sunk, and it was called Charlestown.
I have also found this link which seems to confirm -
http://www.fochriwhistory.co.uk/page156.htm

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 March 17 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Taffrocker
Welcome to Rootschat and thanks for your reply.
I'll have to get my map out!
Kind regards, Arranroots 😊
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)