Author Topic: Charlestown - where is it?  (Read 12756 times)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charlestown - where is it?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Arran
The Bird family in 1861 are living next to the Tredegar Arms.
In 1871 the Tredegar Arms would appear to be in Red Lion
Rank. RG10 5330 F 21 P 18

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
Rhys, you are a clever old stick!!  :)

Can't get the reference to work though - aaahhh!!

I looked up the Tredegar Arms and found a couple in Worrall's for 1875:

Evan LEWIS @ Hill Row, Rhymney

Louisa JAMES @ New Tredegar

Don't know which (if either) is Red Lion Rank - where is that please?

Just off to check out the landlords in 1871.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 10:49 BST (UK) »
OK I have found the Tredegar Arms in 1871 - Red Lion Rank as you say, in the hamlet of Islaw'rcoed. RG10/5330/26/18 Landlord Edmund POWELL.

Am I going around in circles here?  Old maps is down again, so I will have to be patient.

Where IS Islaw'rcoed??

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry for the error in the reference.
I have yet to find anyone who knows the original location of
Ishlawrcoed. Was probably  a very small place at some time in the past.
The name has been utilised to cover a much larger area for census purposes as previously explained.
The same applies to U(s)chlawrcoed in the parish which
 for census purposes includes Tredegar, Rhymney etc
The other area in the parish Manmoel (Mamhole) at least has a village with a physical prescence but again  covers a larger area. ie the village and the Western side  of the Ebbw Fawr valley including Victoria and Ebbw vale.
Have a look at GENUKI

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/Bedwellty/Gaz1868.html

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Please don't apologise!  You are being very patient and helpful!  :D

The enumerator's walk for 1871 is not much more descriptive, other than to say that the eastern boundary is the Sirhowy river.  It also mentions a bridge at Ynyspwlldu - not found on maps yet.  The 1881 enumerators description is a bit more helpful:

The area between the parish roads from Rock Fach (on the left) to the Bedwellty Vicarage, thence by the Tynewydd Cottage down to the Ynyspwlldu bridge.

So now we know...  ;D

many thanks again, Arranroots  ;)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 July 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Arronroots

I know that this is a very old post - I came across it when doing a google search for a local Blackwood location.  I presume that you would have found the locations you want by now, but just in case you did not find the  'Ynyspwlldu' bridge,  this is the bridge that crosses the Sirhowy by the Rock & Fountain pub - and now in the front of Blackwood Rugby Club.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 July 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Ray

That's kind of you to reply - thanks.  I have just re-read the thread, having forgotten all about it in the interim.  I never did buy Esther's siblings birth certs either!  I will have to get back to the maps, armed with the new information you've just provided and if still in doubt, I think a visit to the rugby club would be in order - what do you reckon?

;D ;D

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 July 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
My second home during the season - only 1 mile away- only to glad to see you.

I have a Blackwood yesterday book (1991 publication) with some old maps of Blackwood and area which I can scan and send on if you want - away for the weekend so can do it next week. 

The 1880 map shows very few houses in the Charlestown area - and probably none left now - but if you want it just post your email.

I think the family you were following was Bird -  my best friend when I was growing up in Cefn Fforest was Ron Bird who lived just 3 doors from me in Pencoed Ave.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 July 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Again - a very kind offer thanks!

I won't post my email address - partly because Rootschat doesn't allow it, to prevent spammers.  I'll double-check with my family that they don't have the book already, because it is likely still to be copyrighted - it might make a nice present for mum though.  Thanks for the idea!

My BIRD family consisted almost entirely of girls.  I am not 100% certain because Esther had a twin called John and I think he died young but haven't bought the certificate.  I really should ...

Anyway, if he did die young there would be no descendants of the same name - but if not, maybe your pal belongs to him?  Just speculating - we had best not discuss him here as he is (hopefully) still alive.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)