Author Topic: Help deciphering occupation please  (Read 6450 times)

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering occupation please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
Since there were some folk interested I though I'd post a quick update on the Delafosses of Richmond because I've done enough googling etc to be fairly confident that he is definitely not the brother of my husband's great great great great grandfather William Delafosse (Delaforce) despite the claims of one of my husband's distant relatives.

There is probably more to find (especially under the different spellings of the name) but I doubt I'll spend any more time or money on it for now - better spent on the family I can prove to be related even though they don't seem to be as interesting. Hopefully this can be of use to someone who comes along looking at a later time.

Most of these Delafosses did very well for themselves. Our William Delafosse unfortunately appears to have died in the poorhouse by the way and really can't be related to these folk.

In Richard Burton's writings (explorer not actor) he refers to the time spent at the Richmond Academy which had been run by the Delafosse family since 1764 and which was at the corner of Little Green Street and Duke Street, Richmond. He describes the Rev. Charles Delafosse as a "burly savage" and says the school was badly managed with the boys ill fed and ill managed. The fees were high. He was only there a short time (1832) because the school was closed because of an outbreak of measles where a number of boys died.

I'm not entirely sure which of the Delafosse family this Charles was unless he was indeed the Daniel Charles Delafosse that I have been looking at. At the time he was also the chaplain to the Duke of Cumberland.

There is a monument to the Rev Robert Mark Delafosse (father of Daniel Charles Delafosse) in the church of St Mary Magdalene in Richmond. On 29/12/1780 he was appointed as curate at Asheldon in Essex at 30 pounds per annum.

Robert Mark Delafosse was married to Jane Theresia Dabbadie at St Olave in Hart Street, London on 21 July 1782. They had children (all christened at St Mary Magdalen) - Daniel Charles Delafosse (chr 17 July 1784), John Roberts Delafosse (7 April 1786), Henry Paxton Delafosse (chr 3 Mar 1787), Edward Hollingworth Delafosse (chr 1 Jan 1789), Elizabeth Catherine Delafosse (chr 23 Jul 1790), Mary Elizabeth Delafosse (chr 27 Dec 1791),  Louisa Leslie Delafosse (chr apr 1793), Henry delafosse (born 11 march 1794, chr 23 apr 1794), Amelia Maria Delafosse (chr 28 nov 1796), Francis Joseph Delafosse (1 jun 1798).

Of these,

1 - Daniel Charles Delafosse (who might have been the Charles mentioned by Richard Burton) married Phoebe Ann Quilter and had the following children all christened at St Mary Magdalen -
Charles Walpole Delafosse (born 1 jun 1815, chr 30 jun 1815), Frederick Edward Palmer Delafosse (born 12 oct 1816, chr 15 jan 1817), George Frederick Delafosse (born 28 Frb 1818, chr 3 jun 1818), Robert Mackworth Deverell Delafosse (chr 9 jan 1821), Fanny Sophia Delafosse (born 3 jun 1822, chr 14 aug 1822), Augustus Newland Delafosse (chr 30 jun 1825), Phoebe Anne Theresa Delafosse (chr 13 apr 1814).

Daniel was the Vicar of Wandsworth in the 1841 census living in Allfarthing Lane, Wandsworth with his wife Phoebe and three of his sons - Charles, Frederick and Augustus.

He has taken up the position as Rector in the parish of Shere by the 1851 census (mentioned in one of JAP's posts below). He is living with his wife Phoebe and his son Augustus who is the incumbent at St Marthas (Mathias?) and being visited by his daughter Fanny Shaw (married in 1843 in Wandsworth to Frederick Wadeson Shaw). (Fanny is in the 1841 census visiting a family in Godstone Surrey.)

Daniel died in 1859 in Guildford, Surrey.

His son Augustus is in the 1871 census as a clerk in holy orders  who is a visitor at St Andrew the less Cambridgeshire. He is with Teresa Delafosse 14 visitor (born Broadwindson, Dorset)
Catherine Delafosse 11 visitor (born Southampton, Hants)
Charles Delafosse 9 visitor (also born Southampton).

Ellen Theresa Delafosse was born 9 May 1857 in Shere, Surrey to parents Augustus Newland Delafosse and Catharine.

Catherine Peyce Delafosse was born to Augustus and Catherine at Southampton and christened at St James on 2 March 1860.

Phoebe Ann Theresa Selafosse died 1840 in Wandsworth, Surrey. Mary Delafosse died 1855 in Wandsworth, Surrey.

I also have some children of George Frederick Delafosse but because of the spelling I can't be sure if this is the same George.

The rest of the Robert Delafosse children are in my next post.
Kath ;)
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
Re: Delafosse/Delaforce -help deciphering occupation please
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 August 06 09:23 BST (UK) »
Continued from previous post.

Sundry bits and pieces about the rest of the Robert Delafosse children of Richmond......

2 - John Roberts Delafosse married 27 jul 1812, St Leonards, Streatham, Surrey, to Anna Maria Shield. They are in Croyden, Surrey in the 1841 census. John is a merchant.

In 1851 he is at 26 Streatham Green, Streatham described as a  tea and coffee dealer in London. He is with his wife Anna M Delafosse (from Hammersmith)  and 3 servants.

3 - Edward Hollingworth Delafosse is in the 1851 census in
East Allington, Devon. He is described as Commander in Royal Navy. He is with his wife Sophia Delafosse 50 (from Iver Bucks?) and 5 servants.

In 1861 he is down to 1 servant and is described as Captain RN reserved. He is with his wife Sophie and they live at Courtney Square, Richmond Villas, Walborough, Devon.

He married Sophia Young on 12 Aug 1820 at St Mary Magdalen.

4 - Henry Delafosse died 3 oct 1845 in Lakki-Ki-Dera India.
He married Louisa Maria Shield on 17 April 1827 in Islington, London.  I have some possible children born in India but this may be a different Henry Delafosse because there is a different mother.

5 - Amelia Maria Delafosse married Cyril John Mouckhouds on 28 April, 1821 at St Mary Magdalen.

6 - Francis Joseph Delafosse is in the 1871 census described as a retired merchant. He is with his wife Dorothy,  71 (born Richmond, Surrey) and they are living in Paddington, London at 16 Cleveland Square. He married 28 Dec 1824 at Marlborough, Devon.

The only other related records for this group of Richmond Delafosses is an Ann Delafosse chr  8 July1759 at Richmond,  Surrey whose parents were Charles Delafosse and Eliza.

And in the 1841 census there is a Margaret Delafosse 11 of independent means who seems to be a student  at Green Tide, Richmond, Surrey.

I hope something of this is useful to someone in the future.

Kath  :)

... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering occupation please
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
I've only just seen Kath's posts from 2006.

The Richmond Academy was founded in 1764 by Charles Delafosse (1715-1778), only son of Barthélémy who had arrived from France in 1708 and kept a school in London.

Robert Mark Delafosse (1757-1819) was Charles' only surviving son.  He took over the school and was also tutor to the sons of King George III.  His wife's maiden surname was d'Abbadie -- however it may have been transcribed by Ancestry and the like, or even misspelled in the parish register.

By Richard Burton's day the school was in the hands of their son Daniel Charles.

John Roberts Delafosse (1786-1856) was a merchant in Addiscombe near Croydon; he married his 2nd cousin Anna Maria Shield (great-niece of the Charles first mentioned).  His brother Henry (1794-1845) married her niece Louisa Maria Shield; they had a number of children born in India (all with the same two parents as far as is known).

Amelia's husband was Cyril Monkhouse.

The place in Devon is Malborough; Marlborough is in Wiltshire.

No connection with the Delaforce family!

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds