Author Topic: Baptism lookup - Eleanor Cook  (Read 3449 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup - Eleanor Cook
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 09:09 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone going to the Records Office and could lookup two specific references?

These are:

Eleanor Cook, b 4 Sep 1805, bap 25 Dec 1805, Christ Church Tynemouth.  Parents William Cook and Elizabeth Hood.

Eleanor Ann Cook, bap 5 Jan 1810, Earsdon by North Shields.  Parents Charles Cook and Ann Abbott.

The reason I ask is because I think these may be Dade registers or something similar, I am in Australia, and am trying hard to determine which is my gggrandmother born in Northumberland.  I think I've narrowed it down to these two!

If anyone could tell me what the registers say for these two people, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you,

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup - Eleanor Cook
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 15:47 BST (UK) »
Christ Church
Eleanor Cook born 4 Sept 1805, christened 25 Dec 1805, 2nd daughter of William Cook of North Shields, Mariner, native of Suffolk by his wife Elizabeth Hood native of All Saints Parish [an entry for William 1st son states that William is native of Lowestoff (Suffolk)]

Sorry I do not have Earsdon St. Alban for this time period.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 06 07:31 BST (UK) »
Janis

Thank you so much for that, it is really helpful!  I now think this is more likely to be mine than the other, despite the fact that she obviously lied about her age on a couple of censuses!

Janis (or anyone else), do you happen to know where All Saints Parish is?  Is it in Northumberland, or somewhere else?  (Excuse my ignorance, but I'm an Aussie and have not been to Northumberland!)

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
There are very many parishes in England dedicated to All Saints.

Perhaps most likely in this case is All Saints, Newcastle on Tyne, which was probably the closest to Tynemouth.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that, Jennifer!!

As you can imagine, I'll be looking for these parents, so this is most helpful.

MarieC

Offline bill23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 06 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,Ive looked at the IGI Batch numbers site for Northumberland and on the Tynemouth Christ Church records c155972 1704-1806 it has Eleanor b 4 Sept 1805
c 25 Dec 1805 and on c155983 1807-1816 a William c 10 Jan 1810 these are to father William and mother Elizabeth Hood
but others Rosamond c 27 May 1807 and Elizabeth c 11 Dec 1811 are to father William and Elizabeth Flood not Hood and could they be same mis-spelt name?

Bill.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 06 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

And thank you for your interest, my friend!

Yes!  I don't know anything about this family yet, but there are often mistranscriptions on the IGI as on everything, and I think you could be right. 

And I think you ARE right!  I have just been hunting for William Cook in Suffolk on the IGI.  There are several born in Lowestoft, but one bap. 18 May 1778 has father Henry and mother - Rosamond!!!!  I think we are on the right track here.  Good info from you!

Eleanor, whose married name was Bentley and who never gave the correct age on a census for this particular person, had a son and a grandson whose second name was Hood.  And she called her only daughter Elizabeth.  It looks as though we have the right person!

MarieC

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
MarieC,

Just spotted this thread and had to say how pleased I am that you've finally found a Register that gives some worthwhile info  ;D

Will do some digging in Easingwold for you - possibly next week.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 06 16:55 BST (UK) »
My index for Tynemouth has Rosamund as 3rd daughter to William Cook and Elizabeth Hood.

Elizabeth was listed as 3rd daughter too but I think it she was 4th.  Same parents.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk