Author Topic: Ship Inn / Ship House - Northfleet area  (Read 1771 times)

Offline RWL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ship Inn / Ship House - Northfleet area
« on: Friday 16 June 06 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My grandmother (and her family) was from the Northfleet area, and while going through some old censuses I find that a few generations back (ca. 1851-1871) there is a couple listed as living at "Ship Inn" or variants, in Northfleet.

In 1851 the husband is a Victualer, with the family living at "4 The Ship."
In 1861 the widow is a Publican living at "Ship Inn."
In 1871 she is listed as a Lady living at "Ship House."

Having never visited Northfleet, might anyone know of the existence of such a place in Northfleet at that time? I assume the three different names are the same place. And I know there is a "Ship Inn" in Southfleet.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Raymond

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Inn / Ship House - Northfleet area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Raymond
I read the reply from Doug on the GHS web site.
I had a look through some Gravesend and Northfleet books for you, that I have but, couldn't see anything  :(
Try e mailing.... bygonekent[at]btinternet.com (please replace [at] with @) ....they may be able to help you.
www.kfhs.org.uk.  Maybe medway city ark could have some Couchman photos? or info on the pub.
I will keep looking
Best wishes.....Iris :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 06 06:51 BST (UK) »
Also give  www.towncentric.co.uk a try, they are quite prompt in replying. It is Gravesends info centre....but, they have lots of books etc on info on old G/send and Northfleet.
Iris..... :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I know this is a super old post but I am hust trawling through old ones to see if I can help anybody.

I live in Northfleet and there used to be a pub on The Shore in Northfleet called The Ship. It closed in 1930 along with everything else on that road as it became and still is the site of the huge Blue Cirlce Cement works, which is also where my grandfather worked.

In regards to the census forms, I had a scenario in my family tree where I thought members of my family resided in a pub for a short while, but it turned out that they just lived in terraced houses owned by the proprieter who was also the landlord of the pub at the time. and was listed under the name of the pub. So there is a small chance this could be the case here too, but thats only a hunch

thanks

ADDED

here is a link I found, Apologies if you have actually found this all by now.

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project-a/Ship-Northfleet.html

If the people described here are not your family then that might confirm the proprietor/landlord theory

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
If you look at a current map of the area you will see that The Shore in Northfleet has been split up by this huge site of cement works. and there is a tiny bit of the road still there to the left of the site.