Author Topic: Surname interest MAUND ?  (Read 27409 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interest MAUND ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 June 06 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

I have very little on this side of the family so far.  I've only been able to follow them through the census returns.

I have found Beatrice Maund (b. 1898 Birmingham) who married Walter Hubbard (b. 1901 Birmingham).  I've only found one sibling for Beatrice - Francis who was 7mths in the 1901 census. 

I have some information about William, Beatrice's father, and the families of two of his siblings, George and Emily.  William's parents were John and Sarah Ann.

Not a lot of information yet.  I'd appreciate confirmation of what I have and perhaps some more bits to pass on to my m-i-l - but not too much information!  The fun is in the hunt, after all!

Monica

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Merle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 March 08 05:17 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any info of Arthur Clinton Maund?  He was in Air Force in WW1.  He spent a short time in Canada before WW1.

Thanks.

Merle

Offline ausiain

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merle

Arthur Clinton Maund was my grandfather. He died in 1942. He was an Air Vice Marshal in the RAF at the time and died of infective endocarditis. His daughter, Marguerite is still alive and lives in Perth, Australia.

What is your interest?

Ausiain

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I'm follfowing the wrong trail here, but according to a webpage online one of my ancestors, Samuel Morris, married Ellen Mound [sic] in Jun 1848 in Weobley, Herefordshire; she apparently came from Wormley, and would have been born in 1826. I wonder whether her actual surname was Maund (pronunciation is fairly identical)... I cannot sure she was actually born and married there, but worth a look if anybody can check it. Thanks!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline Trish76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know anything more about the Maunds who appear in my family tree?    John Maund was born around 1818 in Worcester and was a market gardener, owning 4 acres of land.    His daughter, Katharine Mary, married my great grandfather William Kinton Gibbs.     Love to know more.

Offline DrMaund

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 November 10 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Maund is a locative name.  It refers to a territory (now 6 parishes) in north Herefordshire, east of the R. Lugg (see Margaret Gelling, Signposts to the Past & Copplestone-Crow, Place names of Herefordshire). According to David Hey such names stem from a single couple.  From mis C16 to late c19 Maund names clustered in the basin of the middle Teme.  The word is an development from the Celtic/Welsh Magene.
So we're all related.  That explains a lot.  A DNA test might show this.  Interesting research.  I was brought up in Maund Cottage on Maund Common! But family in Brimfield in C18 then Liitle Hereford

Offline Jamesaaa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 December 10 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a Maund from Australia and have traced my branch of the family history back to
William Maund (1729-1815) and his wife Martha Child (1731-1817).

I would be very interested to hear from anyone, Brummy or GMaund?,
who may be able to help me go further back.

Thanks  James

Offline punkpoodle22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 January 11 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,

I'm trying to research a particular family and hen they immigrated to Virginia Colonies. John James Maund was born  1765 I believe in Wales . I know he sent a daughter back to the England following the death of his father (!700-1799 as stated in a letter), but I don't know his father's name. J J Maund married Harriet Lucy Carter, daughter of the Robert Carter III, a very well known family in the colonies. (I won't go into that, it's all on Wikipediea).
I really would like to know who was James John Maund's paretns, if you know anything, I'd love to hear from you.

Amy Liem

Offline jscorgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interest MAUND
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 October 11 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Gary. My line comes from Anne Maund who married Thomas Taylor, in Brimfield/ Little Hereford. .. First child, Martha, b 1790. I come from their son,Thomas who was born abt 1796. Any further info. would be appreciated as I know nothing of the Maunds.