Author Topic: hatherlie high school newport  (Read 31922 times)

Offline charmed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hatherlie high school newport
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 January 12 23:41 GMT (UK) »
that is amazing. i too am trying to piece together a history of him. I am sure it is a tangled web if im honest as there seems to be alot going on. I am looking for his grave also. could you let me know the buriel plot number as i went to st wollos cathdral with the little cemetery and i have today started a family tree on line. i was gutted i didnt find anything at the church but now am very excited. i have a lot of information if you are interested in meeting sometime to discuss and swap info.

excited much Anna lewis-morse.

Offline charmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
After doing a family tree i have found henry pearce bolt was my 3rd great grand uncle a mouthful but still exciting.

Offline boltiebabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 January 12 19:33 GMT (UK) »
After doing a family tree i have found henry pearce bolt was my 3rd great grand uncle a mouthful but still exciting.

Hi Anna,
took me a while to log back in on here to answer you, sorry, the cemetery you need to look in is St Woolos Cemetery, not St Woolos Cathedral Cemetery, as you go in the main gates just pas the little roundabout, take a right, and it is the large monument in the middle of three yew trees I think they are. Are you from Newport, if so, we could meet up and have a chat if you liked, share info??

Helen

Offline charmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 January 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you. i will pop there.

yes i do live in newport, near maindee. i found out through ancestry.com that he is in fact my 3rd great grand uncle.

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 January 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you know this already but there is a row of terraced houses on Chepstow Road called "Bolts Row".  I believe these were built to house people who worked at Hatherleigh.

Bolt Street in Pill was certainly named after Henry Bolt.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline charmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 January 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thnk you denben.

yes i did already know this. But thank you for your help also :)

Offline rogray12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hatherleig Central school newport
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 September 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
I only recently came across this topic, I attended Hatherleigh Central School from 1936-1939,at that time Mr. Fred Hando (Nobby) was the Head Master. Mr. Vince Griffiths was Deputy Head,well Known in Welsh Rugby Circles, he was also the science master,later became Head Master of Eveswell Boys School. Mr. Hill taught English, as did Miss Etty Williams, who also taught History, Mr. Gwylm Price taught woodwork & metal work, he was a member of the RAFVR and was killed early in the war in a flying accident. Mr. Williams (Snoz) taught Geometry and Maths, Miss Bevan Music, she had a liking for Light Operetta.
Ihave attached a Photograph of the School taken in the winter of 1927/8 with a box Browny camera, also the words that I remember of some of the school song "The Severn Fair"

Raymond Rogers

Offline alan pring

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 02:52 GMT (UK) »
HI all. I went to Hatherleigh as did my Mother before me,I left in1953. Mr Hando was headmaster to both of us. Far has I know it was he who wrote the school song.Have fond memories of the school but mostly I recall hurrying up Lawrance hill when running late.     

Offline shadowwelshman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
I grew up at Hatherleigh, My father was the last caretaker.

I was 8 when it closed.I have very fond memories of playing in the grounds as a child.

I had birthday parties in the cantine, racing my go-cart from the top gate down the parking lot dwn the path by the football field and dangerously trying to stop before i went down the steps to the front door.
in the summer making sand castles in the long jump pit and playing with our dog on the lawn by the monkey tree..... and my father helping me make wooden ships out of the scrap in the woodwork room....

But as Gwyn said it was left to rot... and every thing of value from the lead , hard wood floors even the fire places were stolen...

It's a shame its gone. its the only place that I really called home... and good pictures are hard to find.