Author Topic: Shipsmiths - Smith family from Kelton, Dumfries - Lookup?  (Read 15623 times)

Offline sammidav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Shipsmiths - Smith family from Kelton, Dumfries - Lookup?
« on: Saturday 17 June 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just been searching the parish records for Peter Smith (1805) and Helen Smith  (1811-1815 variously) from Kelton, Dumfries on Scotlands' People and some of the free searches.  I looked at the lists of what was available on Scotlands' People and it seemed fairly complete - but have found very few Smiths from this time. Kelton was also listed under Kircudbright - does that means there are 2?  Does anyone know if there are 2 Keltons and where does Kelton, Dumfries correspond to today as I can't find it on a map?

I know they later moved to Liverpool and the census lists them both as born Dumfries, Kelton, Scotland as my Grandma remembered and started a long line of Shipsmiths. I wondered if Kelton is near the sea - I am having trouble finding it on a map. Would there have been ship smiths / ship building industry near there?

Feeling like I have come to a standstill as soon as I have started on my Scottish ancestors! Any help gratefully appreciated!!! Sorry for so many questions :)

Thanks in advance,
Samantha
Dawson, Abraham, Duck, Dolphin, Bromley, Milnes
Elwell, Gorst, Smith

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipsmiths - Smith family from Kelton, Dumfries - Lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Samantha

Kelton appears to be above Glencaple on the River Dee ** in Dumfries and Galloway:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ko/

Googling produces lots of references, including pics of an old bridge.  The river looks navigable at that point.

http://www.rls.org.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-001-155-L

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

** I take that back, I think it is the Nith!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
Kelton is and as far as I know always been in Kirkcudbright. See

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/kkdpmap.htm

I'll have a look for some more info for you. I have MIs and various other sources.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
Reference to ship building at Kelton here:

http://www.dalbeattie.info/history/sailing.htm

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:08 BST (UK) »
A little bit more info while I'm checking:

From the MI booklet produced by D & G FHS:

'The three medieval parishes of Lochelletun, Galston and Kirkcormac were united in 1567-1615, with the parish church established at Kelton, the most notherly of the three which was in the most fertile part...........after the level of the loch was lowered in 1765 the estate of Carlinwark became populousat at Causewayend a town grew. In 1792 the owner, William Douglas of Galston, made the town a burgh of barony called Castle Douglas'

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:23 BST (UK) »
Kelton is and as far as I know always been in Kirkcudbright. See

To save confusion: Kirkudbright is now administratively part of Dumfries & Galloway - so we are not contradicting one another!  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:31 BST (UK) »
No - I didn't mean to imply a contradiction AR. I think we both posted within  30 secs of each other  ;)
It was Samantha's query about it being in Dumfries/shire that I was replying to.

To clarify things even more - the 'shire' of Kirkcudbright is properly referred to as the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright never KKDshire. A body could be hung for less :o  ;D :o (Hint to RC Board  ;) )

Getting back to my searches. The only Smiths that I've found in Kelton MIs were living Castle Douglas but no Peter or Helen.

Gadget  :)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 06 14:53 BST (UK) »

Commonly called a Stewartry, but in reality and to all intents and purposes a sheriffdom or shire, lies in the south of Scotland, and forms the eastern and by far the most extensive portion of the ancient district of Galloway.

What's good enough for Pigots is good enough for RC  ;D

Note 2nd thread (not merged as it would be confusing):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163838.0.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Another link which gives all the parishes and more is:

http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/dgfhs/prshs/prsh-ndx.htm

The D & G FHS have a wide range of publications, a newsletter and look up service for members. I've found it invaluable i my research.

Gadget