Author Topic: William Andrews  (Read 4569 times)

Offline JulieMichaud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Andrews
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:00 BST (UK) »
ok that would make sense as St Helena was occupied by the British for a while and became a British North Atlantic Protectorate where Thomas Andrews was born and since his father William was a soldier was stationed on the island for a while before being posted back in England. Thanx, it's all starting to make sense to me. Every little bit helps.
Desjardines, Dauphin, Rouille, Renneau, Rouia, Raville, Roiville, Ruseau, Rouseau, Rouleaux

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:16 BST (UK) »
I'm not trying to confuse you but I looked on the 1891 census and the wife is called Jane and everyone is born in Berwick, but it looks like the same family to me, you just can't believe everything that's put on a census.

RG12/4267 folio 49 page 13

Living at 56 Castlegate, Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland

ANDREWS
Thomas/head/mar/56/labourer/Berwick
Jane/wife/mar/52/Berwick
John/son/26/labourer/Berwick
Elizabeth/dau/16/domestic servant/Berwick
Jane/dau/11/scholar/Berwick
Thomas/son/8/Berwick

happy hunting
Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JulieMichaud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:19 BST (UK) »
thanx. Tha's the same wife I had with no son named James but with Agnes I have James. What i'm trying to figure out is did Thomas married Twice or is Agnes another to Jane.
Desjardines, Dauphin, Rouille, Renneau, Rouia, Raville, Roiville, Ruseau, Rouseau, Rouleaux

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
The wife's name changed between the 1881 and 1891 census, I've looked on freebmd and I can't find a marriage for Thomas between those dates.  Maybe it's just not been transcribed yet or maybe Agnes and Jane are the same person or maybe Agned died and Thomas and Jane just lived together as man and wife without marrying.  It's all very confusing

anyway, good luck with your searching

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JulieMichaud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:34 BST (UK) »
thanx for your help

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 June 06 03:54 BST (UK) »
i was wondering if you cand find more info on this family and see if it's the right one as I don't know if Africa-British Subject fits in with the one I have of being born in St Helenas (Br Poss). Was this St Helena part of Africa back then or what?

My understanding is that the island of St Helena was part of the Diocese of Southern Africa.  I have seen other census records where a person born in St Helena was described as a British subject-Africa (and this rather confused the descendants).

If you use a search engine like Google, you will find a great deal of information about the history of St Helena.  One useful site is:
http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/index.htm

JAP