Author Topic: surname FINNIS  (Read 80178 times)

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
surname FINNIS
« on: Wednesday 21 June 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have this surname FINNIS on there Family Tree in  Deal Kent?
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline Lulu777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname FINNIS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 06 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I dont know how much help I can be, but we may be able to help each other, perhaps.
I have John HOLYMAN who married Mary FINNIS in 1775 in Deal KENT.
At marriage, Mary was a minor, and daughter of Wm F.
There was a William FINNIS who may have been her father, who was buried 7 Apr 1829, at Buckland, aged 77.
John and Mary HOLYMAN had a least one child, William, who married Sarah GREENWAY, but died in 1827.
Sarah's second marriage was to John DOLBEY, in Dover, KENT.
John and Sarah DOLBEY emigrated to Tasmania, Australia, in 1836.
I am descended from this couple.
I hope this is of help and interest to you.
Love to know anything more.

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
The Finnis surname has no connection with my family tree, but thank you for contacting me. Ann
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 12:52 BST (UK) »
First time on Rootschat, posted a message in the wrong way, now trying to do it properly!
There were several Finnis branches in Deal. This is mine.
My great great grandfather was Ingram Bromley Finnis b abt 1827 to John Finnis and Mildred Susanna Middleton.There were other children,John Belsey Finnis b abt 1821,Ann b abt 1824,Susanna b abt 1830 and Sarah b abt 1835. My great grandfather was John Belsey Finnis b1852 to Ingram and Julia Margaret Marsh b abt 1832.
Have you any connections with any of these?
Areas: East Kent, Norfolk, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Sussex, London area.
Australia, Canada

Offline Lulu777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi finnis finder,
sorry, I dont know of any connection.
regards
Lulu777

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Moors

Don't know what your particular interest is with the FINNIS name in Deal, but there are a number of threads relating to this surname on the KFHS Deal Branch message board:

http://pub40.bravenet.com/forum/3389053142/1

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,found the KFHS message board with Finnis interests. Found somebody from my branch of the family. Don't know if  it will be of any interest to Moors.
See that you list Marsh as of interest. My great great grandmother was Julia Margaret Marsh b abt 1832 in Deal. She married Ingram Bromley Finnis in 1851. Her granddaughter, my granny Charlotte Julia Marsh b1881 married William George Marsh b1879 in Great Mongeham. Don't know if the two families have a connection-yet!
Regards Finnis finder.
Australia, Canada

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Finnis finder

Welcome to RootsChat.

I'm glad you made a contact through my board.

There is a very remote possibility that your MARSH family may be connected but, as MARSH was the most common name in East Kent in the 19th century (40 families listed in Dover alone in the 1880s!) I don't hold out much hope!  I gave up that line at my gt gt grandfather when I found a possible baptism for him in almost every parish I checked!!

My ancestor was Henry Marsh who married Mary Golder.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 August 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,it's certainly easier to find Finnis' than Marshes. The other family name I'm interested in is Spratling. Have loads on them, mainly due to other people who have been researching for a long time.
The Marshes  from my family are from Deal, Woodnesborough, Eastry, Goodnestone, Gt Mongeham and Sandwich.

My grandad's father was Charles Henry b1857, Woodesborough, married Emma Gambrill in 1878. They lived at Gt Mongeham and were in Sandwich by 1901.Charles' father was William b in Eastry 1823 and married Rachael Cox (possibly!) in1847.
My gt gt grandmother Julia Margaret was the daughter of Henry Marsh of Deal,b 1801 married to (possibly) Mary Ann Woodruff in 1825.I think she died and he remarried Elizabeth Collard in1836. Julia's older brother William took responsibility for the younger children because Elizabeth died 1851 and Henry 1853. William was a Customs Officer and by 1901 was retired and living at 15 Clarendon Rd, Dover.I hope that I have "found" the correct Marshes!

A question   when you put a message on the KFHS forum does the person it is intended for get an e-mail notifying them that there has been something posted there?
Thanks for your help, regards Finnisfinder
Australia, Canada