Author Topic: Looking for a HAYWARD connection between the Royal Houses  (Read 11374 times)

Offline AllieCarr-Russo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for a HAYWARD connection between the Royal Houses
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello I am looking for a man named james hayward who is somehow connected to one of the royal houses

He was a distant to a royal family at the time. then he was disowned by his family for marrying beneath his stature. he married a woman name Katherine Quackenbush. who was born 4/10/ don't know the year but i do know that she was german

I believe he was in England but died in staten island,ny around 1927

can all this be possible?

how can i find out when he was disowned by the family?
would there be any records to his disownment?
I am researching the following names
husband's father side: Russo, Grasso,  Gere, Quackenbush, Hayward, Jackman, Davis, Jessop & Deaves, Pike Moore, newman, Harcourt, Beaumont, Hamilton,

husband mother side: Native American:Wengard, Renolds
Jones, Rinehart, Hammann, Kurthe

My mother's side: Grappone, Miano, Famiglietti,

My dad's side Donegal, Ireland: Carr, Campbell, McShane, Hawkin(Harkin), McCarthy, Gillespie, Cunningham, McHugh, McClafferty, Doherty, Cassidy, Bryne, O'Byrne, O'Donnell,

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a HAYWARD connection between the Royal Houses
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
'Disowning' would just mean that he got cut out of the will, in most cases, and maybe the family stopped talking to him; it wasn't anything formal.  For the moment, I would put aside the family stories about 'royal' connections as these are common and also usually unfounded (beyond the fact that a large percentage of English family trees tie back into a royal line... somehow, somewhere).

As well as 'disowned' sons there was also the remittance man who was given an allowance by a well-to-do family so long as he quit the country for somewhere where his antics wouldn't be found out by the neighbours. ;)

Focus on what you do know; do you have any US censuses for him?
When was he born?
About when did he marry Katherine?
Did they have any children? When/where?
When did he come to the US? (this would be reflected in the census info)

I believe there are some people about who have access to the US censuses - if you can give more info because there are a few James Haywards about b. England just looking at the indexes.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllieCarr-Russo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 20:44 BST (UK) »
Focus on what you do know; do you have any US censuses for him?
When was he born?
About when did he marry Katherine?
Did they have any children? When/where?
When did he come to the US?

i have no i dea when he was born or when he marriedbut i do know that he married katerhine quackenbush

they had as far as i know they had two girl justine faith  haywardborn in 4-21-1921 in queens,ny
and hellen hayward but now married so married name would be zipher. don't know anything about helen
husband's father side: Russo, Grasso,  Gere, Quackenbush, Hayward, Jackman, Davis, Jessop & Deaves, Pike Moore, newman, Harcourt, Beaumont, Hamilton,

My dad's side Donegal, Ireland: Carr, Campbell, McShane, Hawkin(Harkin), McCarthy, Gillespie, Cunningham, McHugh, McClafferty, Doherty, Cassidy, Bryne, O'Byrne, O'Donnell,

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
That's a start.  If Justine was born in Queens in 1921 he was already in the US by 1921, married to Katherine probably by 1920, and possibly would be found in Queens in 1920 but in the NY area certainly.

Are you sure about his death date? There's this in 1930 (index only, I don't have full access, ask on the 'emigrants to US' forum here.

New York County, New York:

James Hayward, 1881, b. England
Catherine, 1880
James, 1912
Helen, 1916
Mary, 1916
Robert, 1917
Frederick, 1919
Jestina, 1922

Mar 20, 1922, arriving from London on the Centennial State:
Catherine Hayward, 43
James, 9
Beatrice, 6
Helen, 6
Robert, 4yrs8M
Frederick, 2yrs4M
Jessie, 9M

Relative in England Catherine's father in law and grandfather of the children, Robert Hayward, 67 North Street, Plaistow, England.

Going to join husband/father J. Hayward, 118 West 47 Street, New York.

This family is also listed in NY in 1920 as Haywood:
James, "Cathine", James R, Helen, Mary B, Robert, Frederick.

There is on http://www.stevemorse.org/vital/nydeath.html, a possible death record in Manhatten for a James A. Haywardaged 49 years April 30 1930 (the census was taken April 1/2 so he would have been recorded but died soon after).

There's a James Arthur Hayward on www.ellisisland.org coming through in 1922 that would match.

A possible match for him is James Arthur Haywardregistered Lambeth registration district, volume 1d page 160 Dec quarter 1880 (Oct/Nov/Dec 1880).

On the 1881 census this James does indeed have a father Robert:
26 Cavendish Grove, Lambeth, Surrey (www.familysearch.org)
Robert Hayward, 28, b. W. Grinstead, Sussex, Blacksmith
Ellen, 24, b. Andover Hampshire, Dressmaker
Frederick C, 4, b. Andover, Scholar
Percy W, 2, b. Islington
James A, 5M, b. Lambeth

By 1901 two of these sons have left and Robert may have been remarried (or Eleanor/Ellen's age is wrong)
St George The Martyr
Robert Hayward, 48, b. Sussex West Grinstead, Shirt Collar Dresser
Eleanor, 36, b. London Walworth
Percy, 22, b. Holloway, Bus Conductor
Eleanor C, 15, b. Southwark

Do you have the birth certificate of Justine, and does it give a middle name for James? Or at least an occupation you can match up with the 1920/1930 census and immigration records.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllieCarr-Russo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
no i don't have a birth cert for justine. but is still living in ststen island today. i am going to try to get some info from her regarding her family but that might take awhile beofre that happens anyway i will try. but thanks for all the info so far

Offline AllieCarr-Russo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
hello

Justine had a sister and a brother as far as i know but i don't when they were born or when they died ( that is if they died )

helen jor hellen married name was or is Ziffer or Zipher and lived in AZ. justine brother was robert hayward.can you aldo help me in finding the quackenbush side. by a link or something that would be a big help too.

thank you

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
Taking the Hayward's back even further (assuming this is the correct family) In 1861  Robert age 8 is living in Andover Hampshire with his parents Charles 35 a Coal Dealer, Elizabeth 34, his siblings Rachel 7, Lena 6, Alice 4, Charles 3, Emma 1 and Caroline 4 months. They have a 13 year old girl servant ( not surprising with that amount of small children) But no royal connection yet.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 18:03 BST (UK) »
Going back even further to 1851 Charles was unmarried and a butler to a Walter Bennett living at West Grinstead Surrey he was a barrister and farmer.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllieCarr-Russo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 18:05 BST (UK) »
what is a barrister?
 and also where is bury england?