Author Topic: Complete Marriage Mary Clarke Help Please  (Read 2037 times)

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Complete Marriage Mary Clarke Help Please
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

Could someone please help. I searched the free BMD marriages and found this entry:

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 
Marriages Dec 1889
CLARKE  Mary     Mile End  1c 940   

Is it determinable whom she married? Hoping someone can help.

Thank you,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Mary Clarke Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

If you click on the page number, you will find the 2 possible spouses:
Richard Cassell or Thomas Barnes

If you know Mary's birth year and birth place, someone could try and find her, either as Cassell or Barnes, on a later census.

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Mary Clarke Help Please
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Tanja

Thanks for responding and answer. Can't figure why Eliza Jane pops up too. Would be nice to just see the match with Mary. Led me to question how the database works. I wonder if the capitals have anything to do with it. If so, Cassell would be the match. I will ask someone to check both names on the census for me.

Thanks  :D
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Marriage Mary Clarke Help Please
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 19:11 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, there are no codes!!

The people who transcribe transcribe from the quarterly alphabetical indexes and not from the actual marriage certs, therefore they don't know who the spouse was.  Some people will transcribe in capital letters, others won't, that's all.

The FreeBMD search engine then matches all the people with a same reference and lists them in alphabetical order.

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Marriage Mary Clarke Help Please
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
If you look at the marriages in the original records there are two marriages per page (and in the early days, FOUR; be glad you don't have to pick among four spouses!) When the original indexes were made they just indexed the quarter, district, volume and page; it wasn't till 1911 that they started putting in the spouses' name in the indexes.

Without a computer index of course it was impossible to find all the others with the same volume and page anyway, so what we have now freeBMD has been working away at it is much better than it used to be.  Otherwise you'd just have Mary Clarke with no idea who her possible spouses would be.  If you're working backwards on other marriages you can use this to filter out things - looking for a John Brown m. a Louisa becomes much easier.

I've heard a rumour going around that the records are going to be reindexed to include spouses surnames for marriages/mother's maiden surname for births/age at death for all records, not just those that are partially done now.  But that (even if it's not just a rumour) will no doubt take years.

Until then, http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - with the new way of displaying information (which sort of autosorts into family groups) is a good way of doing quick checks without having to wait for census lookups.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk