Author Topic: Robert Burns connection  (Read 20710 times)

Offline Billie Mendav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Burns connection
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to link the families of Thomas and Robert Campbell of Ayr (or Monkton, Newton, St Quivox and Wallacetown depending on date) with the family of Robert Burns the poet.

Thomas Campbell was married around 1760, Robert who I think was his brother married a lady called Julian or Giles Niven in Kirkoswald.    I think this lady was related to the Margaret Niven who was married to the Brown family of Robert Burns' mother.

Can anyone help?   The dates are so far back and the records so sketchy in the mid 18th century.   Has anyone succeeded in putting this Tree together.    I would be so grateful for some help.

Thanks, Billie

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Burns connection
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Billie,

It is possible that we may have some similarities in the names that we are researching, in particular the Surnames of 'BROWN' / 'CAMPBELL' / 'BURNS' (BURNESS).  Also the name of Robert Campbell BROWN (which was my Great, Great Grandfather).    

I recommend that you have a look at the Topic which I recently posted, as noted below.

BROWNs of OCHILTREE: Similarity of 2-Families with Possible Connections.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,165126.0.html

We know through family documents that we have a connection through Janet BROWN, sister to Agnes (mother of Robert Burns).

Janet BROWN married Alexander HUTCHISON, and in turn their son Samuel HUTCHISON (b.1738) married Jane COWEN (COUAN).

In some family documentation which we have, it states that Samuel HUTCHISON was a full cousin to the poet Robert BURNS.

Then their daughter Janet HUTCHISON (of Burnton, b. abt. 1765-1840) [married- 1786] William BAIRD (of Dalrymple, b. 1761).

Their son Samuel BAIRD (of Maybole, 1787-1850) [married 1809] Helen KEAN (of Wigton).

Then their daughter Janet Hutchison BAIRD (b.1828-1910) [married 1847] Robert Campbell BROWN (b.1826), etc...

However our problem so far has been in proving the direct connection, because of the Birth Dates that are listed for Janet and Agnes BROWN, in relation to the Maternal Family of Robert BURNS (which I have come across on different websites), these dates do not quite coincide with the dates that we have.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the subject.
Perhaps we can assist each other.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Billie Mendav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 06 13:09 BST (UK) »
This is complicated!       I will have to think about the families for a wee while.    I think my ancestor may be related to Samuel Brown, via the two Campbell brothers that I know of.   Trouble is, on the OPRs only the father's name is given in some cases.

What my grandmother said was that "the lady who was aunt to Robert Burns' family was also aunt to our family"   (that is the Campbells of Ayr).

I have an ancestor Thomas Campbell, can't find his marriage but his daughter was born 1766 in Monkton.    The family were later in St Quivox, but wait for it, it was the same place, only the parish boundary moved.

I intend to devour the Kirkoswald OPR, I'd just love if I could buy a copy and do it at home.

I don't know of a connection with Ochiltree, but who knows?

I don't know how far out your birth dates are compared to what's on the records, but I wouldn't be too worried about that.    People told porkies about their birth dates all the time, and sometimes it's a christening some time after the birth which is recorded.    Two brothers may well be christened on the same day which makes them look like twins, but there could be years between them.

One thing which interests me is the similarity between the Christian names in your family and mine at that time - that can be a clue.

I wonder where you are researching from - I'm in Scotland.

Thanks for your reply, I'll look at your postings and see if I can work anything out.

Billie

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 06 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Billie,

Just in case you did not receive the Personal Message [PM] I sent, we reside in Victoria, Australia.  This does not make it easy when most of my research is connected with Scotland.

I have had some very interesting replies to my Topic 'BROWNs of OCHILTREE: Similiarity of 2-Families with Possible Connections.  So I must now try to analyse this information.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline AmyUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on these surnames with connection to Robert Burns? Armour, Buchanan, Murray, Rough, Miller, Haddow and Young. We were always told that on my Great Grandmother's side of the family there "was a connection to Robert Burns" but we were never told what type of "connection". I don't know anything about Robert Burns or his genealogy to find the connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SUSSEX - Linscer, Lincer, Linser
EAST LONDON - Watts, Sale, Steel
STRATFORD UPON AVON - Sale
WESTMINSTER & WANDSWORTH- Powell, Bevis
WARE, HERTFORDSHIRE - Adams, Bangs, Petts
AYRSHIRE - Young, Armour, Buchanan, Murray

Offline Billie Mendav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Robert Burns' wife was called Jean Armour, perhaps if you investigate her family it might help.   I can tell you she was born in the village of Mauchline in Ayrshire in February 1765, and her parents were James Armour and Mary Smith who were married in December 1761.    James Smith was a stone-mason, who built many bridges in the locality.

This might give you something to work on in the meantime.    Good luck.

Billie

Offline batchen2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 September 07 07:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps but I have this information on my Niven tree
Robert burns mother was Agnes Brown. Her brother was Samuel Brown and he lived at a farm on the banks of the R Milton called Balluchneil on the road to Girvan. Robert Niven was a tennant of this farm and while Robbie Burns was at Kirkowald he lived at this farm attending Rogers School with Robert and they shared a bed. In 1786 itis known from private letters that Willie Niven was a good friend of Burns who also lent him money and helped him sell his books.
Batchen, McKenzie, Grant, McNiven, McTaggart, McDaid

Offline Billie Mendav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 October 07 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Batchen, Thanks for your post re Robert Burns.    I have quite a bit of information about Burns, but the actual little nugget that I'm looking for still escapes me.    Anyway I will keep looking and I appreciate any help that you kind folks out there can give me.

Regards, Billie Mendav

Offline seancowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeanette H,
I am a direct descendant of Janet Brown and Alexander Hutchison through their daughter Margaret, who married Henry Cowan. I came across your post last night and was most interested to read that Janet Brown's sister was Agnes Brown - Robbie Burns' mother. Are you able to tell me about the "family documents" you referred to that inform you that Agnes and Janet were sisters. I've been unable to prove that is the case after looking through OPRs tonight myself.
Anyway, I have quite a bit of information on Margaret Hutchison and family. I'd love to share details with you.
I've only just signed up for rootsweb, so cant send any personal messages yet, but will try once I'm able. I also notice you're in Victoria. I'm in Perth. Strange how we all ended up in Australia.
Regards,
Sean Cowan