Author Topic: Robert Burns connection  (Read 20701 times)

Offline AnneArmour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Burns connection
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 April 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
I have some information about Armours in Scotland, as I have traced tenatively, Thomas Armour to Ayrshire. HE married a Jeanette Burns. If you are interested, I am in the US and my email is
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Welcome to Rootschat  :) . If you make another 1 or 2 posts on here then you will be able to use the PM system - ev

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Anne,

thanks for your reply however I have as yet no connection to Burns in Scotland

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
Burns Family Tree was available on "scotfamtree" one of his daughters is buried in Whitburn.

Skoosh.

Offline deborahrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannette and others,

Like many of you, we were told that we, too, had a family connection to Robbie Burns.  We are almost certain that he and or his uncle were at Titwood Farm in Dreghorn/Stewarton area while our Shiels/Shields ancestors were there.  But, more interesting is the fact that I am presently going through a shipping container full of documents, plus old Breedon on the Hill (Leicestershire) quarry records (my ggrandfather was John Gillies Shields b. 1857 Stewarton and owner of this quarry) and amongst the documents I have found references to a Hutchison family, whom I am assuming came down from Ayrshire to work at the quarry.  J.G. almost, in every case, had Scots working for him.  These Hutchisons finally went to live in Diseworth, Leicestershire, but I have yet to locate any present day family members, even though I live relatively close by.  I wonder if anyone has any more information on these Hutchisons?  I would be eternally grateful for any information!

Offline deborahrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I forgot to mention in my first email that we do have some Bairds on our family tree!

Offline AnneArmour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 November 13 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I too am a decendant of the armours. Do you have a Jane hutchison in your line that married Robert Newall Armour? my decendants are Thomas Armour and Jeanette Burns. I am trying to find
a connection back. have been stuck for years. lol/ Would appreciate anything you might have.
My personal email is * Thank you for your time.
Anne Armour Barnett.
Hello Jeanette H,
I am a direct descendant of Janet Brown and Alexander Hutchison through their daughter Margaret, who married Henry Cowan. I came across your post last night and was most interested to read that Janet Brown's sister was Agnes Brown - Robbie Burns' mother. Are you able to tell me about the "family documents" you referred to that inform you that Agnes and Janet were sisters. I've been unable to prove that is the case after looking through OPRs tonight myself.
Anyway, I have quite a bit of information on Margaret Hutchison and family. I'd love to share details with you.
I've only just signed up for rootsweb, so cant send any personal messages yet, but will try once I'm able. I also notice you're in Victoria. I'm in Perth. Strange how we all ended up in Australia.
Regards,
Sean Cowan
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 November 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also researching an ARMOUR family which may have had connections to Robbie Burns wife.    Have found the family in the 1841 and 1851 census, living in Greenock, Renfrewshire.
Names are:  John Galbreath born 1809-1811 married Margaret ARMOUR b 1816-1817 in Paisley.  John was a joiner/journeyman.  In the 1841 census there is an Agnes ARMOUR b about 1791 mentioned, I wondered if she might be margarets mother or aunt?? I cannot find anything else about this family in scotland.  Margaret appears to have emigrated to New Zealand in 1874 to live with her son John and his family in Dunedin. Family legend says that there is a connection to Robbie burns..... research found that Jean Armour (Robbies wife) had an uncle she stayed with in Paisley.
John and Margaret Galbreath (nee Armour) had children with names Agnes, Janet, Lachlan, Margaret and John.  Margarets death cert says she was born in Paisley. she married John Galbreath in Greenock.
Any info much appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 November 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi sceahlott

There are a number of references to Jean Armour being sent off by parents to stay with family in Paisley.

It may not be family on the Armour (father James Armour) side though. I found this google book entry (link shrunk) www.rootschat.com/links/01l2s/ Should Auld Acquaintance: Discovering the Woman Behind Robert Burns

There is mention there of Jean, pregnant by Robert Burns, being sent off to the home of her Uncle Andrew, a carpenter, and Aunt Elizabeth, her mother's oldest sister (mother Mary Smith) in Paisley.

There is more detail there. Book very readable!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 November 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
This book ref www.rootschat.com/links/01l2t/ Robert Burns: The Patriot Bard gives Jean's uncle and aunt as Andrew Purdie and Elizabeth Smith.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk