Author Topic: Robert Burns connection  (Read 20656 times)

Offline seancowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Burns connection
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 September 08 15:01 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Janet Brown and Alexander Hutchison through their daughter Margaret, who married Henry Cowan. I came across your post last night and was most interested to read that Janet Brown's sister was Agnes Brown - Robbie Burns' mother. Are you able to tell me about the "family documents" you referred to that inform you that Agnes and Janet were sisters. I've been unable to prove that is the case after looking through OPRs tonight myself.
Anyway, I have quite a bit of information on Margaret Hutchison and family. I'd love to share details with you.
I've only just signed up for rootsweb, so cant send any personal messages yet, but will try once I'm able. I also notice you're in Victoria. I'm in Perth. Strange how we all ended up in Australia.
Regards,
Sean Cowan

Offline the Luddite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 01:40 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors matching your Murray, Rough etc. all from Mauchline. My second cousin was told by her mother that she was related to Jean Armour, however we still have been unable to find the connection.

Offline batchen2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 01:47 BST (UK) »
There may be a relation between Niven and Browns of Islay, so perhaps Islay records may help you find your links?
Batchen, McKenzie, Grant, McNiven, McTaggart, McDaid

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 August 09 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I've been tracing my gt grandfathers family and the name Niven on this thread caught my eye. 

Does anyone have a link to Janet Niven, born 1811, Kirkmichael, Ayrshire (from census dates) who married James Alexander, born 1797 Kirkmichael, Ayrshire (again from census dates). In 1851 they were living in Kirkbean, Kircudbrightshire, Dumfries and Galloway.

Their grandson Alex Alexander was born on the Island of Coll, Argyllshire after his parents James Alexander and Mary Henderson moved their following the clearances.

Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline GDN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 09 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Jimmijam
Janet Niven (b 3/5/1810 Crawfordston) was the daughter of Alexander Niven (b1779, parish of Maybole) and Ann Gillespie. Janet married 7/7/1834 in Kirkmichael James Alexander (b1797)They had at least 2 twin sons John & Thomas b 1841 in Kirkbean. John married 12/7/1860 in New Luce, Agnes Paterson. Other info - Janet Niven Alexander married Thomas Douglas Nov 1895 in Cape Town and had a son born 1898 in South Africa.

Gordon Niven

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 10 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,
This is the same family. I'll send you a personal message with further information,
Best wishes,
Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 January 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
You know I dont recognise myself in any of those posts :P 

Just to add my two penneth.  As a Robert Burns I have always been led to believe that I have the right to wear the Campbell clan tartan as my name connects into that family.  I was always told that I was connected to the BURNS tree but I have done some work back and unless the connection is very tenuous I am not.  I remember a few years ago a site online actually had a comprehensive tree of Rabbie Burns online.

Rob Burns
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline batchen2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 January 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
As far as I have always understood from the clans affiliation system- Burns is of Clan Campbell so you are correct- it doesnt mean you ever had campbells in your names or tree branches- it means that when Clan Campbell called for support - the Burns rallied under the Clan campbells leadership-  :)
Batchen, McKenzie, Grant, McNiven, McTaggart, McDaid

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 January 10 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Batchen thats my understanding also.  That said I can also claim a use of the Anderson and the Cameron Tartans as well so I am spoiled for choice.
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP