Author Topic: BROWNs of OCHILTREE: Definite Family Connections-2 Brothers Marry 2 Sisters.  (Read 10437 times)

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
Re: BROWNs of OCHILTREE: Similarity of 2-Families with Possible Connections.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 June 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Thank you so very much for all the information you have provided, it is much appreciated.  Here, where we live in Victoria, Australia, we do not have immediate access to these particular records. 

No, I did not have the 1841 Census details for Andrew BROWN and family.

Are you actually connected to these families in some way?

So do you definitely feel that these two BROWN families are connected, and that I have been on the right path?

I am still trying to get my thoughts around all this information, although I have come across some of these names over the past few years, but connecting the names has been the problem.  Also in not being able to find the Birth, Death & Marriage dates of James BROWN & his wife Margaret CAMPBELL, has not helped at all.

You mentioned that you had viewed the Death Certificates for James BROWN, Andrew BROWN & Margaret CAMPBELL.
Is it possible for you to pass on to me the dates and certificate numbers, as I would be very interested in obtaining the various Certificates.

Hope you had a well deserved rest, as researching can be very 'Mind-Boggling'.

Thanking You,
Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 June 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanette

I will PM you with further details on the death certs. for James, Andrew and Margaret. I am not connected to these lines, just did the searches. Quite a puzzle linking the two families together, but having viewed the death certs. for all three, I am fairly confidents that the relationships were brothers/sisters. I haven't searched for Catherine Campbell's death cert. but given that she had her mother living with her and Andrew in the 1851 Census and the relationship is clearly indicated, I haven't double checked that (you may wish to do that on SP for final verification).

It is fortunate that the families are fairly well documented on IGI, and the ages on the censuses match the birth entries to be found there.

I haven't been able to find any further info on the Brown line (I've noted your interest re Robbie Burns on another post). I haven't searched the 1841 Census for Robert Snr and Mary MacKie to see if they were still living at this stage. Unfortunately, FreeCen seems to grind to a halt when searching Browns, even with the additional fields of Ochiltree/Ayrshire!  I don't have access to the new 1841 Census index from Ancestry which is much more flexible on the searches. If you don't, it may be worthwhile putting up another post for this info. Have a look at the death certs for James/Andrew first for Robert Snr occupation ect., which may help on the searches for 1841.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 June 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
Jeanette

You probably have this site already re Robert Burn's lineage. If not, it's one of the best that I have seen:

www.burness.ca/burns.html

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 June 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Yes I have seen this site on the BURNs Family, created by John Burness.  A few years ago he did have the Maternal [BROWN] side listed, however I do not know why it no-longer is on the site.

I have sent you a PM.

With the details you sent in earlier Posts, of names etc.  I visited the Wigtownshire Pages, and came across some 'Wills' and 'Death' entries for the Surnames, may not be relevant, but who knows.

I am still sifting through the information, I will be in touch.

Thanking you, you are so very helpful, I hope I can assist you in some way.

Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 June 06 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello to All RootsChat Members,

I wish to acknowledge a very helpful member.
If nominations for awards were to be given for assisting others in their research, then I nominate a most worthy recipient:

'MONICALESL'

Thank you so very much, I really do appreciate all the time and effort you have put in, in researching.

Monica has been so very helpful in assisting to sort out my 'BROWN' / 'CAMPBELL' Family connections, and in proving that my assumptions were correct.  Also, in supplying information which proves that 2 Brothers married 2 sisters.

This really has opened up other areas for me to continue researching.

There is still much more to this family, a never ending story.

Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BROWNs of OCHILTREE: Definite Family Connections-2 Brothers Marry 2 Sisters.
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 December 06 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello To All RootsChat Members,

Just thought I would take the time to wish everyone

'A Happy Christmas & A Very Happy & Prosperous
New Year', also every success with your Researching'.

'RootsChat' is a Great Website to be associated with, where so many people are willing to help others.

By the way, I am still looking for people who feel they may have any ancestral connections to this family.

Best Wishes To Everyone,

Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:

Offline seancowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BROWNs of OCHILTREE: Definite Family Connections-2 Brothers Marry 2 Sisters.
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 September 08 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanette,
I believe we are related through Janet Brown and Alexander Hutchison. Could you please contact me via personal messages. I'd love to share the information I have with you.
Thanks,
Sean Cowan
Perth, Australia

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Seancowan,

Welcome to RootsChat, I am very pleased that you have made contact.  I have read your three Posts and the Personal Message.

I have not been active with my research for quite a few months, basically because I came to a standstill, and also active with other things.

I will have to delve into my research,  and try to work out again where all the pieces fit.

It is great to be back on RootsChat, as there are so many helpful people here, who have assisted me in the past.

Your contact has rekindled my quest for further knowledge of our Family Connections, which has been a Burn(s)ing desire of mine.

Hoping to get back to you soon.

Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:

Offline seancowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanette,
Wonderful to see you're still keeping an eye on rootschat. I must say, this link with Burns has me quite intrigued. The ages dont seem to quite match up, but I think perhaps there is a link between our Janet Brown and Robert's mother, Agnes Brown, through Kirkoswald. Their ages put them a generation apart, so I cant see that they could be sisters (which means Samuel Hutchison would not be Robbie Burns' first cousin). But Janet could be Agnes' aunt. Or she could be a cousin herself given the amount of children they had in those days. The Browns of Kirkoswald were prolific breeders!
I'm looking forward to hearing about the information passed down by your family about how Burns fit into the picture.
Kind regards,
Sean